Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For Programmers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For Programmers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For Prog... - 10/17/2021 5:17:23 AM   
DimDX59

I want to create my scenario based upon 1941 Campaign with additional axis and soviet units and I have a few question about editor to game developers
1)Can I insert new units among active units without ill effects to AI or game, for example I want to add new axis artillery battalion after unit 00934 - 867th Howitzer Battalion, if I will do it, Will be AI affected because IDs of all following unit increase to 1 or will not? Can I add or remove axis units without affecting AI or game?
2)WITW Units beginning since 09224, Can I delete these unit? It will free space and increase processing speed of game? Will it affect AI or game?
3)Soviet and Axis air units - I notice lot of soviet unavailable units, for example 2181-734 NBAP, it disable in game, historicaly it arrived 17/01/1942 to front - http://allaces.ru/sssr/struct/p/bap734.php. Can I enable this and other similar Soviet and Axis Units, Will be any ill effects for game? Will AI work correctly after it. Can I add new air units among active unit like add new unit 7 TBAP after unit 1988 - 7 DBAP - Will it affect AI or game in some unforeseen way?
4)WITW air units begiining since 3101, Can I delete these units, It will free space and increase processing speed of game? Will it affect AI or game?
Post #: 1
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/17/2021 7:46:23 AM   
malyhin1517

The developers are currently working on changes in the editor. Therefore, you should wait until this work is completed.

< Message edited by malyhin1517 -- 10/17/2021 7:47:15 AM >

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to DimDX59)
Post #: 2
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/19/2021 7:37:49 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: DimDX59

I want to create my scenario based upon 1941 Campaign with additional axis and soviet units and I have a few question about editor to game developers
1)Can I insert new units among active units without ill effects to AI or game, for example I want to add new axis artillery battalion after unit 00934 - 867th Howitzer Battalion, if I will do it, Will be AI affected because IDs of all following unit increase to 1 or will not? Can I add or remove axis units without affecting AI or game?
2)WITW Units beginning since 09224, Can I delete these unit? It will free space and increase processing speed of game? Will it affect AI or game?
3)Soviet and Axis air units - I notice lot of soviet unavailable units, for example 2181-734 NBAP, it disable in game, historicaly it arrived 17/01/1942 to front - http://allaces.ru/sssr/struct/p/bap734.php. Can I enable this and other similar Soviet and Axis Units, Will be any ill effects for game? Will AI work correctly after it. Can I add new air units among active unit like add new unit 7 TBAP after unit 1988 - 7 DBAP - Will it affect AI or game in some unforeseen way?
4)WITW air units begiining since 3101, Can I delete these units, It will free space and increase processing speed of game? Will it affect AI or game?

The best way to experiment with this stuff is make a back up copy of your Scen folder which you will find in the Dat folder where the game is installed. That way you can always copy back any scenarios you may render unusable by editing. Also load the scenario you want to edit and rename it in the editor. That way the original scenario will remain the same and you can edit this renamed scenario.

I think most of what you ask will be fine but I seem to remember from WITW when adding a division it is best to leave 3 spaces below it as if the division is broken into regiments then the game will use those spaces for the regiments from the broken down division.

The ID number +1 should also be OK. The game takes it into account and adjusts the numbers. I remember reading this about WITW so I assume it is true for WITE 2.

I would advise against deleting any units. Better to delay them out of the scenario by setting the delay to more than 250 turns. Hover the cursor over the delay turn number and you will see the date the unit should arrive. If it is in 1946 then the unit will never arrive.

Good luck.

P.S.
I am not a developer but a WITE 2 beta tester.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to DimDX59)
Post #: 3
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/19/2021 1:30:53 PM   
Karri

I usually add new units for Axis after ID 15000 and for Soviets after ID 16000.

quote:

I would advise against deleting any units. Better to delay them out of the scenario by setting the delay to more than 250 turns. Hover the cursor over the delay turn number and you will see the date the unit should arrive. If it is in 1946 then the unit will never arrive.

It's possible to change unit delays via the editor. For example the Polish army. Though besides that formation it's safe to assume the units are not meant enter the game/scenario.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 4
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/19/2021 1:31:24 PM   
DimDX59

Thanks

Post #: 5
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/19/2021 3:31:40 PM   
DimDX59

IslandInland, so I can 1)insert new units, but not delete existing unit, 2)I can change delay, so disabled by delay units can be returned to game, if I'll follow these simple rules then AI will not be seriously affected? Can I clear unused units, it don't break sequence number, only clear slot, so Can I clear WITW units by this mean without affecting the game?

< Message edited by DimDX59 -- 10/19/2021 4:06:36 PM >

(in reply to DimDX59)
Post #: 6
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/20/2021 5:06:32 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: DimDX59

IslandInland, so I can 1)insert new units, but not delete existing unit, 2)I can change delay, so disabled by delay units can be returned to game, if I'll follow these simple rules then AI will not be seriously affected? Can I clear unused units, it don't break sequence number, only clear slot, so Can I clear WITW units by this mean without affecting the game?

Yes, you can insert new units. I have done this myself.

You can delete an existing unit but I'm not sure if this will affect the AI. I don't think it will but I am not sure. Small scale deletions will be fine.

Never delete OKH, OKL or Stavka.

Yes, you can change delay so units delayed out of the scenario will now show up in the scenario. You will have to assign them a hex if they start the scenario on the map. This is the "Loc:" in the unit detail screen in the editor. Click the 0,0 and you will be taken to the map. Left click on the hex you want the unit to arrive in. Go back to the unit detail screen and you should now see the coordinates of the hex you clicked.

If you want a unit to arrive as a reinforcement then it is "Arrival" and you will also have to assign a hex for the unit to arrive in. If you want the unit to begin the scenario in a theatre box or arrive as a reinforcement in a theatre box then use the "Theater Box:" line to place a unit in one of the available theatre boxes from the drop down list.

Yes, I think you can clear unused units and the number sequence should be OK.

Yes, I think you can clear WITW units with out affecting the game.

Try one, some or all of these things then test your changes by running your edited scenario AI v AI by setting both sides to "Computer". To stop the automatic AI turns when the scenario is running press SHIFT and X together and see what has happened in the scenario.

As I wrote in my earlier post if you back up your scen folder and rename a default scenario that comes with the game then you can experiment and test out the things you want to do.

I have a version of the 1941 Campaign which I renamed "Testbed Don't Play" to try out things in the editor. Whenever I want to experiment I load that in the editor then play around with it to see what is possible and what will break the game. it doesn't matter what changes I make to this scenario as I don't intend to play it and I still have the original 1941 Campaign intact unchanged.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IslandInland -- 10/20/2021 5:26:00 PM >

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to DimDX59)
Post #: 7
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/20/2021 5:55:50 PM   
Karri

Might find these three quick guides I wrote helpful:
https://mesmeric.games/wite2-editor-guide-unit-tab-explained/
https://mesmeric.games/war-in-the-east-2-editor-guide-main-tab-explained/
https://mesmeric.games/war-in-the-east-2-adding-units-in-the-editor/

Post #: 8
RE: Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For ... - 10/21/2021 4:55:10 AM   
DimDX59

Thanks, I'll notice your recommendations and will edit accordingly.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Where Can I put new units without breaking AI? For Programmers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI