Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Variety of Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Variety of Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Variety of Questions - 7/22/2021 11:52:07 AM   
AlbertN

Greetings,

1) Is there a way to see how much a unit contributes to a Theather value (or percentage), and of which type of value?

Example: An Infantry Division counts as 'ground unit' and that's pratically it. But does a Flak unit counts only as 'ground' or as 'air' too? A fighter squadron is probably only 'air'. A bomber squadron counts as 'air' or is all down to 'ground' since air control is exterted by fighters? Which planes affect 'naval'? Some can be manifestly clear.

I think it would do good to have the pop-up showing how much a unit offers to the theather! I've not found these details in the manual.

2) Next is the Allied raid events. That to me interlocks with the Theather management. Are they affected by what, if anything?
It's just a flat value not dependant on variables? (The '41 Raid says damage 20 - is that 20% to something? 20 manpower are obliterated and removed from map? 20 of -what-?. Range 55, from where? London?).
Do Flak amount in the Western Theather matter? Fighters?

3) How much sense can it make to assign Flak / AA or non construction SU units to a Axis Army / SU Front HQ if they do not have subordinate combat units? If the HQ unit is in a City with a railyard / depot, does the AA SU intervenes just by being assigned to an army? -- To assign to an AIR HQ support units makes sense? Will extra AA be distributed to the airbases of the AIR HQ automatically?

4) Considering in the scope of the game there is the handling of the whole operations, what 'Removal' of units represents? Units that get to self destruct somehow, losing all the equipment and men in them just because? It eludes my grip. - With due premise I already see the forced disband as a wrong type of business (if playing with the Enchanced Theaters) but at least the 'disband' has the sense that manpower and equipment are returned to the pools. -- I understand at times the Axis suffered non-Eastfront related disasters, but these are handled by events (ie. Cobra breakout from the Allies has an event code that says 20%ish of German units in the West gets shanked badly. That is fine and fair.). So I struggle to find a justification for the Remove function.
Post #: 1
RE: Variety of Questions - 7/22/2021 2:58:13 PM   
loki100

1 - see section 36. Units are counted mostly by cv value. There is a generic cv needed but you also need to meet other specific targets, note that air units can count for both ground and air values (as they can both affect ground operations and engage the Allied airforces)

2 - In the same way that exceeding the Soviet Union garrison requirements, exceeding the air targets (esp in W Europe) reduces the effect of allied air strikes (but not that the strikes take place). Some locations are dual counted, so flak on the map in Germany/Austria would count both vs the VVS and the vs the Allies - but be careful, on map only influences the affect, it does not count towards the garrison requirements (afaik)

3 - yes, standard tactic if you have played WiTW, you can even set up flak traps this way

4 - most disbands are because TOE were reconfigured. So all those axis AA units that disband in T50 or so, actually return in the Pzr division TOE. I'm not sure why remove is used in a few places, at the level I understand (& never would claim any competence low down the respective OOBs) they seem to be formations that couldn't be sustained. My assumption would be that the component parts go into the respective pools

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 2
RE: Variety of Questions - 7/22/2021 3:29:28 PM   
Joel Billings

The remove function is more ofen used in small scenarios to take out forces that historically withdrew without sending the men and equipment to the pool (which is what disband does). Relatively few units are removed in the campaigns as opposed to disbanded, but for those removed, the scenario designers would have to comment as to why they were removed as opposed to disbanded. I assume most were demobilzed forces.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Variety of Questions - 7/22/2021 3:48:36 PM   
AlbertN

Thanks for the answers; I was in the hope for some more technicalities on the Allied bombing reductions.

On the 'Remove' bit I fully understand the implications in the scenarios - and that is perfectly fine.
It seems for the proper answer it will be the need to wait, there are tons of Flak units that gets removed, not just disbanded. And in the same guise of Slovaks getting airplanes that they will never ever get to use it seems more a muck up / hole in the scenario design.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Variety of Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI