Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Red Tide Scenario 5 Feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Red Tide >> Red Tide Scenario 5 Feedback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Tide Scenario 5 Feedback - 10/31/2021 1:11:09 PM   
schweggy

Trident Spear
Brief AAR and Observations

The goal of this scenario is to ID and dispatch Soviet submarines surging through the GIUK gap. A secondary goal is to engage a Soviet surface group centered on the Kiev. NATO forces are primarily second line FF/FFG, DD/DDG and the HMS Illustrious BG. Air assets include various ASW platforms, tankers, strike and fighters based on Iceland and the UK. Most of the ASW missions are already setup and only the air assets at land bases are unassigned. As an aside, the Norwegians have a MTB Squadron of Hauk missile boats between Bodo and Andoya (more about that below.)

I added the aircraft on Iceland and UK bases to the ASW patrols currently being serviced by surface groups/ships. A fighter screen with tanker support was also setup in case Soviet long range maritime strike packages appeared. As expected the SOSUS sensors began picking up many underwater contacts that over time were revealed to be biologics while the more persistent unknowns eventually were ID'd as harmless or likely Soviet subs.

About 2 hours into the scenario a coded message was received indicating the presence of a Soviet surface group with it's general composition, course and speed. There's no available strike aircraft anywhere nearby, but the MTB's are. *Spoiler follows and an observation that probably needs to be checked*

The Hauks are dispatched to located and engage the Soviet surface group, now ID'd as 4 ships:
- TAKR Kiev
- EM Sovremenny I (X2)
- RKR Kresta I

The plan is to have 2 Harpoon armed P-3's from Andoya attack from 090 and 270 degrees while the MTB squadron gets (hopefully) into range for the 16 Penguin ASM's to be used.

The plan (such that it is) is pulled off but no missiles hit their marks. Not unexpected, but that the Hauk's got that close is. Figuring the PTB's are toast anyway they press the attack as the P-3's withdraw. They approach the Soviet ships astern and are able to range them with their 8x Tp 612 torpedo's. The Kresta and one Sovremenny are sunk, the Kiev takes two torps but doesn't sink and the other Sovremenny nearly escapes, but takes the final torp and is dead in the water. I then finish them off with gunfire from the Hauks. This triggers a win with 1 day 11 hrs to go.

Is this WAD? The WRA and Doctrine appear OK although the heavy SS-12 and 22 ASMs' are reserved for larger vessels the other weapons are not.

SIDE: NATO
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x F-16A Falcon

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
320x 20mm/80 Rhinemetall Mk20 Rh202 Burst [20 rnds]
1x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
382x 40mm/70 Single Breda Burst [4 rnds]
4x AGM-84A Harpoon IP
1x AIM-7M Sparrow III
13x AIM-9L Sidewinder
3x AIM-9N Sidewinder
141x AN/SSQ-41B Jezebel LOFAR
80x AN/SSQ-47 Julie Active Range-Only
176x AN/SSQ-53B DIFAR
167x AN/SSQ-62B DICASS
167x AN/SSQ-77A VLAD
52x CA/SSQ-523 CASS [AN/SSQ-50]
92x CA/SSQ-550 DIFAR [AN/SSQ-53A]
5x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
3x Mk46 LWT Mod 2
2x Mk46 NEARTIP Mod 5
16x RB 12 Penguin Mk2
185x SSQ-905 Jezebel LOFAR
264x SSQ-947 Julie Active Range-Only [AN/SSQ-47]
107x SSQ-963A CAMBS III
8x Tp 612
4x UGM-84B Harpoon IA

SIDE: Soviet Union

LOSSES:
2x EM Sovremenny I [Pr.956 Sarych]
2x Ka-25Ts Hormone B
13x Ka-27PL Helix A
2x Ka-27PS Helix D
1x PLA-671 Victor I [Yorsh]
1x PLARK-661 Papa [Anchar]
1x RKR Kresta I [Pr.1134 Berkut]
4x Su-24M Fencer D
1x TAKR Kiev [Pr.1143 Krechyet]
2x Tu-95RT Bear D
10x Yak-38 Forger A

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
1x AA-8 Aphid [R-60M]
6x AK-130 130mm/54 Twin Frag Burst [2 rnds]
4x AK-630 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
2x AK-630M 30mm/65 Gatling Burst [400 rnds]
4x Generic Acoustic Decoy
1x Generic Flare Salvo [2x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
1x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
2x Generic Towed Torpedo Decoy
190x RGB-NM-1 [Passive Omni]
18x SA-N-3b Goblet [4K65]
22x SA-N-4b Gecko [9M33M3]
68x SA-N-7 Gadfly [9M38]

SIDE: Biological

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

- schweggy -

Montani Semper Liberi - Mountaineers are always free
Post #: 1
RE: Red Tide Scenario 5 Feedback - 12/1/2021 9:35:40 PM   
RIPperSVK

I had a similar strategy:
- put up a CAP screen (with AEW and tanker support) to stop soviet long range maritime strike
- I put most of my MPA aircraft into a big ASW patrol encompasing the the central and north - east area. The plan was to redirect them as needed to detected subs. In the end the proces was that when a sub was somewhat localized (by SOSUS or other means), I created a smaller ASW patrol and redirected some planes (or helicopters) from the big ASW mission to the small mission. This worked well - I had a nice group of active MPA planes ready in the area, and redirected them as needed. Sometimes the small ASW patrols were elongated rectangles, when SOSUS couldn't get more precise range to target.
- I kept the defaul prepared missions, just enabled active sonar

How it went:
- using SOSUS and then small AWS patrols worked well to kill enemy subs. I did have 2 ships sunks by subs I didn't detect in time. Should have created close-range ASW patrols for helicopters where possible.
- I detected the enemy surface group quite soon and then kept track of it. I used 2 P-3s from Andoya to launch some Harpoons at the group, not expecting much. But surprisingly they hit 1 ship I think, and showed that their anti-missile defense is not that good. So in reaction to this, I readied a 5 plance P-3 roup from Iceland with Harpoons. This attack crippled the surface group, which I finished with Harpoons from a nearby sub (this caused Triumph win for the scenario).
- I had a bit of luck intercepting a maritime strike - I sent an F-4 group to kill planes of the surface group. My intention was to strip them of aircraft and helicopter defences, to make them easier to attack. While my F-4s were nearby, the soviet maritime attack came nearby. So I just used the F-4s and F-16s from Bodo to cripple the attack.
- there were about 2 occasions of anti ship missile strikes from submarines. But they had too few missiles to get through my anti missile defences.
- I didn't really use the Hauks. I didn't think they could get close enough before being destroyed.

This was a fun scenario, with lots of options how to proceed. I was surprised how many points I got from killing the CV - I thought killing subs was more important.

(in reply to schweggy)
Post #: 2
RE: Red Tide Scenario 5 Feedback - 12/2/2021 10:07:10 AM   
CommandPB

Hi thanks for playing the Red Tide DLC, On points wise for the Kiev which is more that a submarine , its because the Soviets only had 4 Kiev Class so are a valuable platform, whilst the Soviets had the largest submarine force in the world and could handle afew submarine losses

The Stig

No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
German Field Marshal (1800-1891)

(in reply to RIPperSVK)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Red Tide >> Red Tide Scenario 5 Feedback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI