Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

offboard artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> offboard artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
offboard artillery - 9/7/2001 1:24:00 AM   
gamer1

can someone tell me how much ammunition the offboard artillery units are suppplied with? about how many salvoes can i expect to plot before running out. it always seems that as soon as i really need to deliver another bombardment, i'm out of ammunition. also, it seems to me that the 155mm suppresses the enemy units considerably more than (more than i would anticipate) 105mm batteries. glitch or reality? thanks in advance.

Post #: 1
- 9/7/2001 2:01:00 AM   
BA Evans

Yes, the 155's can really pack a punch. They are capable of knocking the snot out of even entrenched troops. I try to only use my artillery on large concentrations of enemy troops that I have spotted. It is wasteful to throw artillery around blindly. Use your artillery only when you know you will get good results. BA Evans

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 2
- 9/7/2001 2:04:00 AM   
Larry Holt

The amount of ammo depends upon whose arty it is, etc. Each time I start a battle I look at my arty ammo level before and after I fire my first salvo. That way I can determine the firing rate and how long my ammo will last. 155mm is 55% bigger. The effect of a shell in adjacent hexes trail off at a geometric rate (twice as far out has 1/4 the effect) but in the target hex is arithmetic (55% larger gives 55% more effect). Also the volume for explosive filler in a shell increase at a cubic rate while the diameter increase in a linear rate (e.g. double the side of a cube and the volume increases by 6) I think that it is realistic.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 3
- 9/7/2001 3:26:00 PM   
Resisti

Ok,where do you see how many rounds are left for an arty battery?
I can see the smoke round left in the unit data screen,but where the HE rounds? Thanks.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 4
- 9/7/2001 10:01:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

The unit roster I believe

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 5
- 9/9/2001 12:27:00 PM   
Major Destruction

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti:
Ok,where do you see how many rounds are left for an arty battery?
I can see the smoke round left in the unit data screen,but where the HE rounds? Thanks.

During your turn type B or click on the button "Attack a Hex with Indirect Fire"
In this window you will see all of you artillery assets listed. Each one has a selection of buttons.
Going from Right to left (pardon for being gauche)
you have 'shift', 'cancel', 'smoke, 'bombard' and 'show data'
Click on the 'show data' and you will see the ammo loadout currently available to your artillery unit.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 6
- 9/11/2001 1:24:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

In order to see how many rounds your OB artillery has, or how many bombs and rounds your air support has, click furthest left button next to the name of the unit you wish to see while you are on the bombardment screen. (It's directly to the left of the 'HE bombardment buttons.) This will bring up the info on the unit in question, including amount(s) of ammo, penetration rates at given ranges, and such. Hope that helps! Eric Maietta

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 7
- 9/11/2001 2:22:00 PM   
Resisti

I've my PC under repair so I cannot check right now.
The reason why I posted here is because I always thought HE rounds left for arty should have been visible in its unit data screen but the only thing i've been able to see are the smoke rounds:
where EXACTLY should be indicated the HE rounds in the unit data screen?

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 8
- 9/11/2001 6:27:00 PM   
Jasper

quote:

Originally posted by gamer1:
can someone tell me how much ammunition the offboard artillery units are suppplied with? about how many salvoes can i expect to plot before running out. it always seems that as soon as i really need to deliver another bombardment, i'm out of ammunition. also, it seems to me that the 155mm suppresses the enemy units considerably more than (more than i would anticipate) 105mm batteries. glitch or reality? thanks in advance.
Compare between 105 and 155, definitely, the latter is better as its warhead is bigger but the round available will be lesser. How many salvoes left depend on your rounds available. Single unit of OB 155 has a unit of 4 units inside. Which is about 16 rounds per salvo. If you are opine to use 105, try 120mm mortar instead, reation on board is about 0.2 to 0.4, with 0.2 half of the shot will be fired first and the half will arrive at the end of your enemy turn. It is easier to plot. OB artillery reaction time is too slow. Good for opening suppression and maybe lucky shot, if you look at the map properly and try to predict what the enemy will do. Against computer it is with easy but human player that is another situation. Lastly, remember the FO, he is the key to bombardment. He can call any artillery twice faster than anyone.

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 9
- 9/14/2001 11:16:00 AM   
Dean Robb

To find the rounds remaining for your OBA, click the "B"ombard button, then find the little eye icon - it's the first icon - on the line with your weapon of choice. Thar she blows! To figure salvos remaining, you'll need to look up the rate of fire for the gun. Then (# of rds) / (ROF) = Salvos. [ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: Dean Robb ]

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to gamer1)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> offboard artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI