Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't run SPWAW - help?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can't run SPWAW - help? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't run SPWAW - help? - 2/22/2002 11:03:00 PM   
fatgreta

I finally got hi speed internet and downloaded the game, but it doesn't work. I'm 99.9% sure the problem is on my computer, but before I called tech support I thought I'd check. So,
1) What are the minimum specs to run the game? I have a laptop with a PII 300 with 128MB ram and a 2MB video card, but I believe the card is not working properly (see # 2) 2) The problem, which occurs with virtually every game I try to play, happens when I click on the start game icon on the start screen. Then, a movie tries to play and my computer freezes up. I believe that if I could somehow skip the movie, the game would run. So, is there any way to go directly to the game without the opening movie? I've tried running the game from the mech.exe file and hitting the space bar immediately after clicking on the "Play" icon. Neither option works, my computer freezes and I have to re-boot. Thanks for any help, Chris Buhl
cbuhl@du.edu

Post #: 1
- 2/22/2002 11:09:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Your specs look OK. Running from mech.exe is generally better. What is your screen resolution? Can you try to get updated video drivers? What is your OS?

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to fatgreta)
Post #: 2
- 2/22/2002 11:16:00 PM   
Belisarius

Hello, I think the keyword here is "laptop". Laptops and SP:WAW's hardwired 800x600 resolution setting does, IIRC, not run smooth together. Try set your desktop resolution to 800x600 and then start the game. Any improvement?

Got StuG?

(in reply to fatgreta)
Post #: 3
- 2/23/2002 9:06:00 AM   
Supervisor

Believe it or not my system config is AMD K6 400, 2mb video card, 80mb RAM, imbedded Sound Blaster Audio, 10gb hard drive, cable modem running Win 98SE with DirectX 8.1a and SPWAW runs flawlessly for me. Pretty bad considering I'm the Tech guy huh, I'm building an new powerhouse so I can help with the efforts on Combat Leader.

(in reply to fatgreta)
Post #: 4
- 2/23/2002 9:08:00 AM   
Supervisor

As stated in other forum posts, do you have a some sort of sound processor, SPWAW will not run without a sound card/imbedded sound. Also try updating your DirectX, I don't know what version you currently have. Try reinstalling the game over itself, many times not all the files get registered properly in the very first attempted install of SPWAW, I've seen this happen more than a few times, you can thank Microsoft for this issue.

(in reply to fatgreta)
Post #: 5
- 2/23/2002 5:07:00 PM   
Stonefire

Hi Chris
I have a P4 with 256 RAM and sometimes the same happens to me (and it didn't on my old P1 with 64 RAM). When it does I pres Ctrl + Alt + Delete and close SPWAW movie, then the game starts. I can't guarantee that it works for you, but give it a try. Good luck
quote:

Originally posted by Chris Buhl:
I finally got hi speed internet and downloaded the game, but it doesn't work. I'm 99.9% sure the problem is on my computer, but before I called tech support I thought I'd check. So,
1) What are the minimum specs to run the game? I have a laptop with a PII 300 with 128MB ram and a 2MB video card, but I believe the card is not working properly (see # 2) 2) The problem, which occurs with virtually every game I try to play, happens when I click on the start game icon on the start screen. Then, a movie tries to play and my computer freezes up. I believe that if I could somehow skip the movie, the game would run. So, is there any way to go directly to the game without the opening movie? I've tried running the game from the mech.exe file and hitting the space bar immediately after clicking on the "Play" icon. Neither option works, my computer freezes and I have to re-boot. Thanks for any help, Chris Buhl
cbuhl@du.edu

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Stonefire ]

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Erwin Rommel

(in reply to fatgreta)
Post #: 6
- 2/23/2002 5:14:00 PM   
Stonefire

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Buhl:
cbuhl@du.edu

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Erwin Rommel

(in reply to fatgreta)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can't run SPWAW - help? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI