Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US rifle grenade

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> US rifle grenade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US rifle grenade - 12/31/2001 2:43:00 AM   
Frank W.

any info on this?? i found it a formidable weapon in the game!!

Post #: 1
- 12/31/2001 3:25:00 AM   
Redleg

The rifle grenades I fired were indeed formidable.
At that time, we had a couple of different types. They were great fun to fire. I liked the AT type since it was large enough that I could watch it fly. ;-)

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 2
- 12/31/2001 5:38:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

Frank here are some links you might find helpful about the US M9 AT Rifle Grenade ( and a lot of other Grenades as well). I personally think that Rifle Grenades are really underrated and underused in this game ..it's unfortunate really
http://pacificcoast.net/~dlynn/index.htm
http://rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/grndrifl.htm

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 3
- 1/1/2002 3:39:00 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt:
Frank here are some links you might find helpful about the US M9 AT Rifle Grenade ( and a lot of other Grenades as well). I personally think that Rifle Grenades are really underrated and underused in this game ..it's unfortunate really
http://pacificcoast.net/~dlynn/index.htm
http://rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/grndrifl.htm

hey....thanx for linx will take a look. do you think ther´re underated?
why?? US in ver 6.1 does a good job of using them IMHO. HNY
(happy new year)

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 4
- 1/1/2002 10:46:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

Underrated ... game range 3 actual range 250 yards max 100 accurately ..
Pen in the game for HE type only no AT and rated at 22 while the M9A1 AT rifles grenade was actually capable of 50-75 mm depending on sources.
Also the use of WP rifle grenades, far more common in the US army than other armies in the game is completely not modeled ..WP is both smoke and casulity producing round . Under utilized ... despite the common usage of rifle grenades and grenade launchers being a constant in US squad tactics from before WW2 to present ( M79 M203 ect ) the US has no Rifle Grenades after the start of about 1943 in SPWAW at all See types on Rifle grenades list in the US section of the Grenade recognition manual in the above link .. if details are need the author of that web site and book has a rather extensive and detailed article on the US AT Rifle Grenade that was posted for some time in the Grenade of the month section.

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 5
- 1/1/2002 11:37:00 PM   
m10bob

Gotta agree with AmmoSgt..In the past,the rifle grenades have been a glorified noisemaker except for countering melee..IMHO It should be treated nearly as lethal as the m79 "Thumpgun"..

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 6
- 1/2/2002 6:39:00 PM   
Steve Wilcox

Some stuff from Ian V. Hogg's Encyclopedia of Infantry Weapons of WW2: "Anti-tank grenade, M9": "The M9 was so quickly in and out of service that none of the wartime manulas has a picture of it", "penetration of the M9 was little better than 40mm due to the nose fuse interfering with the penetrative action of the hollow charge jet, but the M9A1 improved on this and could defeat about 60mm of plate", "The M9A1 remained standard issue throughout the war but it was rarely used." Of the "Smoke grenade (WP) M15" it says "it was widely used as an anti-personnel grenade, particularly in the Pacific theaters." For the Germans it has the Gross Gew PanzerGr: Pen 40mm, Range 100m; the Klein Gew PanzerGr: same as above; the Gew PanzerGr 46mm: Pen 90mm, Range 100m; the SS Gew PanzerGr 61: Pen 125mm, Range 200m. And on the other hand the Oxford Companion to WWII says:"The US M9A1 was especially effective and infantrymen often preferred to the bazooka as it did not entail carrying an extra weapon." Bruce Quarrie's Weapons of the Waffen SS has "the Gewehr Panzergranate, the Gross Gewehr Panzergranate, and the Gross Panzergranate 46 and 61. The earlier grenades were ineffective as AT weapons, being limited to some 50m range and only being able to penetrate roughly 30mm of armour plate...The latter two weapons had ranges of 145-200m, armour penetration being 90 and 126mm respectively." Just some miscellaneous and sometimes contradictory info for your perusal. I don't have any opinion on how SP:WAW handles these things or whether any of the above data is accurate, I'm just passing it along in case anyone is interested. :-)

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> US rifle grenade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI