Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone can help me here please ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Anyone can help me here please ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone can help me here please ? - 1/23/2002 7:55:00 AM   
ruxius

The fact :
I am always trying to spread the name of SPWAW around me...
After a long talking I finally persuated two friends of mine to give a look to SPWAW... obviously I will prepare a scenario to make them do the first steps in a way they could be VERY IMPRESSED by SPWAW and then becoming new supporters of the game... my problem is I should try to make things easy for them..and I would like to make them install the game in one step... Since I received my copy of Lost Victories I have a one-installation CD ready to use BUT... BUT I ABSOLUTELY DON'T WANT to make unauthorized copies of MEGACAMPAIGNS so my problem is HOW CAN I EXTRACT SPWAW 7.0
from the cd and make a new CD without MEGACD to be delivered to my two friends ? Any help is very very appreciated as they are asking the game to begin very often... please if you know what to do tell me !
Thank you !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!
Post #: 1
- 1/23/2002 9:57:00 AM   
Redleg

I would install onto my hard drive using a different name than Steel Panthers World At War for the folder.... do not install Mega Campaign. The key thing is to use a different folder name to receive the new install. Then copy the new game to a CD. I have done this and it works. My system looks like this:
C:/MatrixGames/SPWAW (game #1)
C:/MatrixGames/SteelPanthersWorldAtWar (game#2) One of these is for "show"; the other is for "GO" Hope this helps. Spread the word! Get 'em hooked on the game.

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 2
- 1/23/2002 10:23:00 AM   
Figmo

The way I've done it is use the version on your PC, before writing the CD move the mega campaign directory out of the folder. Make the CD, Send it to them, have them copy it to their C: drive and then create a shortcut to the autorun.exe. I run older copies of the game on my wife's PC from her D: drive with no problems and it has only been copied to her PC over my network - not installed in the normal way - she has a nice 10GB drive - I've had 4 copies there at once and run the one I want by double clicking on the autorun.exe with explorer.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 3
- 1/23/2002 7:57:00 PM   
ruxius

Hello friends Redleg and Figmo ! Many Thank you for your answers...
now my LV-copy seems to be very weird..I mean when from the autorun's menu I install ONLY the SPWAW7.0 it installs also the MEGACD..(where doing the contrary , ...nothing works.. ???) so no way to proceed from the setup file of the LVCD... Thus I will probably look for the second advice:
If I understood correctly , I have to copy my already installed SPWAW directory AS IS from my HD EXCEPT for the MEGACAMP subdirectory : Then I add to the burning CD also and only the file autorun.exe from the LVCD, right ? This way my two friends should be free to copy into their HD the folder of SPWAW7.0 AS IS , then running the autorun.exe to create the program folder.. This will not be a normal installation but will
let them installing the shortcut for SPWAW7.0
and I will be sure they can not access to MEGACamp They gave me their assurance they will not play MEGAcamp without my permission but for me it's a question of principle..never any illegal copy of my best favourite game ! Tell me if I have something to do more..thank you !

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 4
- 1/24/2002 8:54:00 AM   
kao16

When I made a copy of SPWAW (V5.1) what I did was place the MCNA disk in one drive and open it cut and paste to the CD-R drive. THis way I could copy the "freeware" aspects of the disk without copying the MC. To open it on the new machine use
start>run> (browse to find the setup file on the CD)setup.exe. I haven't heard any problems from the people I have passed SPWAW onto. NB: I'm not bothering with the autorun capability, setup runs nicely from the CD under start>run>D: ( folder name)/setup.exe [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: kao16 ]

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 5
- 1/24/2002 6:25:00 PM   
ruxius

Hello Kao , thank you for your answer..
normally I would do as you wrote here..but the problem is that when browsing the CD no structure at all is defined ..the CD contains just only compressed file including both Megacd an d SPWAW7 so I should install it into my HD first..then
I should copy only sudirectories belonging to spwaw7.0 Ok I can achieve these two steps..and burn a CD My problem is ...my friends will copy the burned CD as is intotheir HD but how could they create a
shorcut folder ? would be enough simply copying directories and create a link to spwaw.exe ? I am wondering if the installation procedure writes or updates some important commands & dll into some windows directories..so that a manual copy of files is not enough..
maybe it's simple but I can't see what to do..

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 6
- 1/24/2002 8:52:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Pity my budget hadnt taken a critical hit this month. I could solve all your trouble the easy way. Just plop a copy of my master cd in the mail to you with a burned copy of every version of Steel panthers I have downloaded to date. No Mega Campaign software to worry about.
All it has on the cd is the set-up executable files a person would routinely download. All you would have to do is give them a copy of that disk and you would be homefree with new Steel Panthers players. So the reeeeeal question here is not convoluted advice on how to separate Mega Campaign out of the disc.
What we need to know is can someone send him a measely burned cd in a personal letter (which wont cost anyone on this list, more than the cost of a bag of potato chip, even in lame Canadian dollars terms; oh and ya I have not bought any @#%$%#$# chocolate all month so I am miserable hehe). Anyone want to give up a bag of potato chips and just mail him a copy of the normal downloads burned on a cd?

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 7
- 1/25/2002 12:00:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:
Anyone want to give up a bag of potato chips and just mail him a copy of the normal downloads burned on a cd?
Because he is in Italy it might not be as simple as that. What about Customs ? (I saved the downloads and recently burned them onto a backup CD)

(in reply to ruxius)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Anyone can help me here please ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI