Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 - 10/11/2004 6:22:02 PM   
JSS

Go to the Run5 user scenarios section at www.ssg.com.au for a free download of the BIN version Rommel Battle. Battle includes all functions (AI, unknown units, etc...) but is primarily designed for PBEM. Here are a few design notes:

Historical Setting:

19 Nov 1942: Soviet armed forces launched an offensive that would end two and half years later with the complete destruction of the Third Reich. In this battle General Rokossovsky’s 5th Tank Army attacking South from its bridgehead at Kremenskaya attempts to link up with 51st Army attacking North from the Beketonskaya bridgehead. Linkup point is Kalatsch. At stake is the existence of the German Sixth Armee at Stalingrad.

Battle Focus:

Capture of the bridges at Kalatsch will link the two Soviet armies, encircle Sixth Armee, and provide the Soviets a ground line of communication (LOC... i.e. supply line) into the Stalingrad fight. Elements of 6 Armee and a strongly resourced 4 Pz Armee try to keep control of the bridge. The four armies are on roughly equal footing so either player can be on the attack!

Design Notes:

BIN Master of Battle I: Rommel expands on the KP version of the battle by incorporating numerous new features available in the new game engine.

- Late arriving formations are modeled by having timed replacements as German units enter the battle.

- Movement requires planning to ensure mechanized forces will be in supply during the next turn(s)... Use of refit at times will be critical to sustain offensive operations.

- German player has minefields & strongpoints to help hold the bridge until sufficient forces are available to attack.

- Air interdiction & anti-air units play a critical role. Delayed supply to a critical sector can have a significant impact.

- German player has an MP regiment & a security regiment that provide anti-partisan coverage. Their placement can also make a big difference.

These are only a few of the changes in place.

Enjoy!

JSS

< Message edited by JSS -- 10/12/2004 8:02:48 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 - 10/12/2004 3:34:57 AM   
trcanberra

Thanks, this is an awesome scenario, great to see what the system is capable of and a nice change rampaging around the Russian steppes after all that bocage!

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 2
RE: Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 - 10/12/2004 5:47:23 AM   
Miller Logan

JSS, The download file at the SSG site is a non-self-extracting zip file. Will a self-extracting .exe be available at some point? Also the download link for Steve Ford's Free Landing variant points to the Rommel Master of Battle Design Notes.

(in reply to trcanberra)
Post #: 3
RE: Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 - 10/12/2004 6:34:40 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller Logan

JSS, The download file at the SSG site is a non-self-extracting zip file. Will a self-extracting .exe be available at some point? Also the download link for Steve Ford's Free Landing variant points to the Rommel Master of Battle Design Notes.

The download zip file will work. You have to extract to ....\Battles in Normandy\scenarios\rommels\ where you must create the rommels folder.

Expect the file will be updated to self-extracting at some point in the future (ie when Rob returns from holiday). Links to design notes has been noted; expect those will be corrected soon. Thanks.

JSS

(in reply to Miller Logan)
Post #: 4
RE: Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 - 10/12/2004 1:49:13 PM   
Adam Parker

I've somehow totally corrupted my game and will need to reinstall

The Russian landscape and map loads with units, no bottom boxes appear and the Overlord scen has disappeared with the BiN Rommel scen coming up with a Soviet splash screen and a Normandy related scen briefing. It crashes on loading up yadda yadda

Oh well.

How about a solid protocol for downloading and applying user scens for the future?

Have to try your effort another day JSS.

Adam.

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 10/12/2004 10:02:51 PM >

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 5
RE: Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 - 10/12/2004 2:01:54 PM   
Adam Parker

No sweat - that was the quickest uninstall and reinstal of a game ever! My saved game copied over fine too.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Master of Battle I: Rommel Available at Run5 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI