Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japan - building Ports beyond SPS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Japan - building Ports beyond SPS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japan - building Ports beyond SPS - 12/14/2004 6:19:39 PM   
Captain Cruft

As Japan I seem to spend a lot of time pondering what size to build bases to. The list below shows some of my current thinking with respect to logistics and building ports beyond the SPS. Some of it is probably wishful thinking mind you ...

Port		Size/SPS (reason)
----		-----------------			

Pacific:-

Truk		9/6 (major hub + mines/torps)
Kwajalein		4/2 (minor hub)				
Palau		6/3 (major hub)				
Ulithi		8/5 (major hub + torps)			
Guam		3/2 (minor hub)
Saipan		3/1 (minor hub)
Iwo Jima		3/1 (minor hub)				

Formosa:-

Takao		9/6 (major hub + mines/torps)
Tainan		5/2 (industrial I/O)
Taipei		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Pescadores	8/5 (ring-fenced backup supply dump)		

Korea:-

Inchon		9/6 (industrial I/O)

China:-

Hong Kong		9/8 (industrial I/O + mines/torps)
Tientsin		9/6 (industrial I/O + mines/torps)
Taan		7/4 (semi ring-fenced backup supply dump)

Indo-China:-

Haiphong		9/6 (industrial I/O + mines/torps)
Saigon		9/6 (industrial I/O + mines/torps)

Siam:-

Bangkok		7/4 (industrial I/O)

Burma:-

Rangoon		9/6 (industrial I/O + mines/torps)

DEI:-

Medan		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Bankha		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Palembang		4/1 (industrial I/O)
Brunei		3/2 (industrial I/O)
Batavia		7/4 (minor hub + industrial I/O)
Soerabaja		9/6 (major hub + industrial I/O + mines/torps)
Balikpapan		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Tarakan		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Kendari		6/3 (minor hub + industrial I/O)
Amboina		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Bulla		3/1 (industrial I/O)
Sorong		3/2 (industrial I/O)

Thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Japan - building Ports beyond SPS - 12/14/2004 7:28:37 PM   
Xargun

First of all I build all ports of any use to at least a size 3 so I can disband ships in it and get the bonus to repairs. To me there is no difference between a size 3-5 port and no reason to build over a 3 unless by doing so I can get the port + airfield to a 10 to allow unlimited supplies / fuel to be stored.. otherwise the medium range of ports has no real difference (other than loading / unloading speed).

For simple island bases that I will never garrison nor use I usually leave them alone and do not build anything on them - waste of resources. For islands I plan on using I usually build them up to port 3 and airfield 4 so I can base Nells / Betties at them without undo losses. Ex.. Wake, Marcus, Tarawa, etc...

Anywhere that I will loading resources / oil I will enlarge to at least a size 3 to protect TFs from enemy subs (while docked), ability to disband into the port and for the repair bonus associated with disbanding vs simply docked. Some places will be built larger if the resource production warrants it - Palembang, Batavia and Brunei to name a couple.

Other places (where ship repair will take place - like Truk, Palau, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Soerbaja, Rangoon and all of japan) I try to build up to the largest port size possible for the best chance of repairs. Many of these I also attempt to build up the airfield as well to support betties easily AND to increase the total number of aircraft allowed to operate there (airfield size * 50 planes) without penalties. Also many large bases I build up to 10+ in combined size so I do not suffer any spoilage in fuel or supplies.

In short any base that is useful and will have a permanent base force located there will usually be set to build itself into the largest size possible - including forts. The supply cost is minimal and the engineers might as well be doing something than nothing.. The only exception to this is palces within B-29 range of Japan - I refuse to build the airfields beyond a size 4 unless I will heavily defend the base - no point in giving the allies an easier time building up airfields to fly their B-29s out of. Make them work at enlarging the fields - gives you more time to damage it and possibly counterattack and recapture the base.

Also, the size of bases affects your turn by turn score, so by enlarging bases you are scoring more VPs... not many, but every point counts and helps you with winning the game - especially bases in Japan... But remember, for scoring purposes, airfields are worth twice what ports are worth...

Xargun

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 2
RE: Japan - building Ports beyond SPS - 12/15/2004 2:06:24 AM   
witpqs

Xargun,

What do you mean that bases affect your 'turn by turn score'? Does that mean that VP's from bases accumulate every turn, so the longer you own the base the more points you get? I had been thinking that only the owner of the base at the instant the score was added up mattered. It would be good to know if I thought wrong!

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 3
RE: Japan - building Ports beyond SPS - 12/15/2004 5:14:11 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Xargun,

What do you mean that bases affect your 'turn by turn score'? Does that mean that VP's from bases accumulate every turn, so the longer you own the base the more points you get? I had been thinking that only the owner of the base at the instant the score was added up mattered. It would be good to know if I thought wrong!

No. Points for bases are only calculated turn by turn they do not add up. But by upgrading most of your bases in Japan you can earn more points for Bases (check scoring - bases are a separate category) without doing anything. Its an easy and safe way to increase your points.

Xargun

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Japan - building Ports beyond SPS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI