Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 6:42:40 PM   
2Stepper

Greetings gents. I suspect I know what caused this, but I'm going to post it anyway as its in the realm of bugs.

I patched up to 1.4 and opened up a save game file to run a turn as I'd read about increased turn resolution.

By in large the turn ran through flawlessly without so much as a bump. It should be noted that this is/was a 1.3 game turn, (perhaps 1.21, but can't be 100% certain). At any rate, as soon as I saved the game and went to exit? BOOM! CTD occured. I didn't even see the dialog box popup to ask if I wanted to quit. The game just died.

All the way through the design of this game I've yet to have a CTD so this was a shocker.

2.0Ghtz AMD 64/3000
1GB RAM
128MB RAM FX5200 video (updated)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 (OEM version updated)
dx 9.0c

basically all the trimmies are there. I'm going to give it a try with a totally new game in 1.4 and see if I can reduplicate it. But barring a miracle it seems as though my older game is toast... I suspect that is/was what caused the CTD. I honestly don't recall playing a turn when we went to 1.3. Been rather hooked on Sid Meyers new PIRATES game. So in all liklihood, this was a 1.21 to 1.4 turn progression that maybe it couldn't handle? Thats my suspicion. At any rate I do have the save to send if needed. Just let me know.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
Post #: 1
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 7:25:15 PM   
Mr.Frag

Correct, you must install 1.3 before 1.4 or the artwork will be missing and you will crash left right and center.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 2
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 7:30:58 PM   
BraveHome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Correct, you must install 1.3 before 1.4 or the artwork will be missing and you will crash left right and center.

At least up and down appear safe...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 8:29:04 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

Actually FRAG, I did install 1.3 first. I just never ran a turn of my 1.21 save game with 1.3. I went forward to 1.4 without playing a turn at the earlier version.

Don't know if this'll still account for the CTD, but its what happened.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 8:58:47 PM   
mlees

I too had this CTD (although I didn't know it was...).
I played Allied (me) vs Jap AI in 1.3 (scen 15) for a while, and updated the game to 1.4 when that patch was released. I did not start a new game. Playing the old save works good for me.
However, when I go and save the game, on the save game screen, when I hit the exit button, the game exits all the way to the desktop. The save file was always OK.
I thought that this was a new feature, but it stopped me from saving after every turn...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 5
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 9:15:36 PM   
Mr.Frag

Installing 1.3 and never running it is the same as never installing it.

If you did not load and process a turn, the ZoC conversion for 1.3 did not happen and I have no idea what will happen in 1.4

Consider yourself unsupported when you do stuff like this. We are not going to retrotest patches to verify the impacts of skipping patch versions. It is just a waste of time and benefits no one causing bugs god knows where.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 6
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 9:26:23 PM   
mlees

Sorry, but I DID say that I played (Scen 15) for a while (all the way up to early '43) in 1.3 before patching to 1.4. I then continued that same game, with no problems in game play, just save n' play...
Were you answering 2Stepper?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 9:30:29 PM   
Joe Kemper

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Had a game I started under 1.3 that I continued under 1.4. Went to save the game and when I hit exit button it crashed. First crash ever.
I continue to play and save each turn and so far 20 turns and two crashes.

At least it crashed after I saved. My wife thinks its the best new feature yet, she thinks its a sign I should help her wrap gifts. I continue to play. Love this game.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 8
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 9:43:18 PM   
MikeH1952

Mr Frag

It's not been made clear anywhere, prior to this post, that you need to run a game on a patch like 1.3 before patching up to 1.4.
My question is how do you rectify the situation if you have done this already.
Do you have to uninstall, reinstall and then patch, play a turn, and then patch again??
I have not had any problems on solo game or on my PBEM, both on 1.21 since installing 1.3 and 1.4 at the same time, although we have only had a few turns since Wednesday.

So far as PBEM is concerned are we stuffed now and will we need to restart?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 9
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 9:53:42 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Hayday

Mr Frag

It's not been made clear anywhere, prior to this post, that you need to run a game on a patch like 1.3 before patching up to 1.4.
My question is how do you rectify the situation if you have done this already.
Do you have to uninstall, reinstall and then patch, play a turn, and then patch again??
I have not had any problems on solo game or on my PBEM, both on 1.21 since installing 1.3 and 1.4 at the same time, although we have only had a few turns since Wednesday.

So far as PBEM is concerned are we stuffed now and will we need to restart?

I have no way of answering that because there has been no testing at all of the impacts of going straight from 1.2 to 1.4

You might get away with it, you might not. Keep an old 1.2 save around just in case.

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 10
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/17/2004 10:01:58 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

Installing 1.3 and never running it is the same as never installing it.

If you did not load and process a turn, the ZoC conversion for 1.3 did not happen and I have no idea what will happen in 1.4

Consider yourself unsupported when you do stuff like this. We are not going to retrotest patches to verify the impacts of skipping patch versions. It is just a waste of time and benefits no one causing bugs god knows where.

Well, as stated in the other thread, I'm going to most likely dump my 1.21 game on this box. I'm testing the program on my laptop as I type for power issues, but I'll rerun it here as well. I have no issues with beginning again. Though I have to admit the CTD was a bit of a surprise, but not earth shattering.

no worries...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 11
RE: SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 - 12/20/2004 1:12:16 AM   
jcjordan

Well I think I've fixed my CTD save problem. I saved the game in a lower unused slot then deleted all the saves above it from the save folder so I had only the last save game data in folder. I reloaded savegame & have had no problems since then. By this I'm taking a wild guess & saying that using these old save game slots over & over that somehow through all the upgrades & patching that there might have been some kind of data corruption error causing it. So for those that have been haing a CTD when saving a game or just after saving one, try saving it in a unused slot then exit game & go into the save folder & delete all save games except the new one, then reload game & see if this helps.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> SURPRISED! First time CTD with 1.4 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI