Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on Good Books on the Pacific War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Question on Good Books on the Pacific War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/27/2004 7:27:07 PM   
MikeH1952

I'm looking for a good history of the Pacific War as a present. Any suggestions guys?
Glad to hear your reccomendations.
Post #: 1
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/27/2004 9:10:21 PM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Hayday

I'm looking for a good history of the Pacific War as a present. Any suggestions guys?
Glad to hear your reccomendations.

Books I personally have:

1. The Rising Sun by John Toland , 1,072 pages ... provides the Japanese side of the war. Sort of an Asian Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Plus side: very good information and point of view from the Japanese side and it covers from before the war through to the end ... minus side: it is LONG and takes a lot of time to read

2. Double-Edged Secrets: U.S. Naval Intelligence Operations in the Pacific during World War II by CAPT W.J. Holmes, 231 pages ...plus side: written by someone who served in the Combat Intelligence Unit in Hawaii so it's inside information ... minus side: it is geared toward US operations and doesn't have much if anything concerning SEAC.

3. And I Was There: Pearl Harbor and Midway - Breaking the Secrets by RADM Edwin T. Layton, 596 pages ... plus side: written by the intelligence officer to both ADM Kimmel before Pearl Harbor and to ADM Nimitz after Pearl Harbor until the end of the war so there is also plenty of inside information and shows how Washington turf wars basically ended up keeping vital information from Pearl Harbor before the attack ... minus side: definitely geared toward American operations and it also only mainly covers the time before the war to around Midway (June 1942) although it DOES provide really good background information prior to Pearl Harbor.

4. At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor by Gordon W. Prangle, 889 pages ... plus side: it's focused on events leading up to and the attack on Pearl Harbor ... minus side: it's about 20 years old so new information may be available which could be more accurate than this book and the plus side could also be a minus

5. The Pacific Campaign: The US-Japanese Naval War 1941-1945 by Dan van der Vat, 430 pages ... plus side: it gives a very good overvue of the entire war and also has good insites into the political situation/relations between the US and the British and Australians, etc ... minus side: as the book said it only covers the US-Japanese part of the war so the Burma and China Theatres are not included.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 11:34:01 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi : Victory at Sea. reveals really intresting ideas & thoughts including some really unpopular facts . It also includes a good overview about logistics.

John Costello : The Pacific War. A one-volume account of WWII in the pacific. Good stories of the fighting in this book. It tells alot about the complex political, social and economics casues in the war.

Samuel Morison : History of the US Navy in WW2 Volumes 1-14 but that is a ton of books it gives you detailled view of the entire usn series of battles. You will get every naval battle well detailled.

< Message edited by Oliver Heindorf -- 11/28/2004 10:35:48 AM >

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 4:48:14 PM   
tanker4145

E.B. Sledge: With the Old Breed. You're probably looking for strategic or operational books, but this is my all time favorite. It's about a Marine private at Peleilu (sp?) and Okinawa. It's his memoirs on the Pacific campaign. It is an amazing read. It opens your eyes to how some of the war was fought. Like the story he tells about another Marine cutting out the gold teeth from a Jap whose spine and been broken by a bullet. The Jap is screaming and finally another Marine shoots him. It's not very often you can find details like that. Shows you how hellish war can be. Overall just a great book though, and it only costs about $10-15.

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 8:28:34 PM   
Herrbear

Empires in the Balance - H. P Willmott

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 10:44:34 PM   
derwho

I'm contemplating on purchasing "History of United States Naval Operations in World War II (15 Volume Set)" ISBN: 0762854316, $169 in Amazon. As the €/$ favours me I think this might not be such a bad investment.

Anyone have it? Worth the money?

Imperial Field Service Code (senjinkun):
"Remember always the good reputation of your family and the opinion of people of your birthplace. Do not shame yourself by being taken prisoner alive; die so as to not leave behind a soiled name."

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 10:49:34 PM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: drwho

I'm contemplating on purchasing "History of United States Naval Operations in World War II (15 Volume Set)" ISBN: 0762854316, $169 in Amazon. As the €/$ favours me I think this might not be such a bad investment.

Oh wow ... if I had that much spare money I might be tempted to pick it up. I need more reading material.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to derwho)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 11:31:13 PM   
CMDRMCTOAST

Touched with Fire "The land war in the pacific" Eric Bergerud
A great read on the ground combat between the Aussies, Allies
and the Japanese.

Downfall " The End of the Japanese Empire" Richard B. Frank
Starts with the firebombing of Tokyo and covers the destruction of
every city from there on out till the end of the war.
It is pretty informative from the people that lived in the cities
at the time and talks about the manufacturing base that existed in
peoples houses around the big factories at that time.

The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/28/2004 11:41:59 PM   
SimonDC

H.P. Wilmott also wrote a one volume that is part of a larger British series on warfare, that I think was edited by John Keegan, that is called War in the East (it is the Pacific not Russia) and covers the entire war and may be more comprehensive on the non-US actors. It is an overview and not as in depth as many of the others. Good maps and chart illustrating Japanese shipping losses for example.

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 9
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/29/2004 12:08:06 AM   
Philwd

drwho,
That set is worth every penny. Some info is a little outdated but you won't find a more detailed outline of almost every major and minor battle. Leyte is a whole volume by itself. It took me the better part of a year to read.

Quark

(in reply to SimonDC)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/29/2004 3:34:29 AM   
RayM

Hello Mike:

Always a tough question to answer because the answer is really "...it depends..."

My favorite one-volume on a particular campaign is "Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account," by Richard B. Frank. IMHO, the best book on the campaign.

High-level overview: H.P Willmott's "The Second World War in the Far East," as mentioned by SimonDC.

(in reply to Philwd)
Post #: 11
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 11/29/2004 2:56:22 PM   
derwho

quote:

Downfall " The End of the Japanese Empire" Richard B. Frank
Starts with the firebombing of Tokyo and covers the destruction of
every city from there on out till the end of the war.
It is pretty informative from the people that lived in the cities
at the time and talks about the manufacturing base that existed in
peoples houses around the big factories at that time.

It's a fine book indeed! Ultimately and finally convinced me that dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the correct thing to do at the time taking into account all the available intelligence that the US had about Japanease intentions.

A _must_ for anyone interested in the Pacific Theater of Operations:

"Kaigun : Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0870211927

"Sunburst: The Rise of the Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1557504326/

Two truly magnificant books by Mark R. Peattie.

< Message edited by drwho -- 11/29/2004 2:56:55 PM >

Imperial Field Service Code (senjinkun):
"Remember always the good reputation of your family and the opinion of people of your birthplace. Do not shame yourself by being taken prisoner alive; die so as to not leave behind a soiled name."

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 12
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/4/2004 7:56:22 PM   
MikeH1952

Thank you for all the advice and reccomendations.

I have placed the order via Amazon. I will naturallly borrow the books from my son post Xmas.

Thanks to all.

(in reply to derwho)
Post #: 13
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/4/2004 10:18:50 PM   
BlackVoid

The Guadalcanal book by R. B. Frank is very good.
Not soo good, but still not bad - Bergerud: The Air War in the South Pacific

Samurai! by Saburo Sakai is also excellent.

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 14
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/5/2004 6:53:44 PM   
Titanwarrior89

A good one on the early PI campaign: "But Not In Shame" by Toland.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 15
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/5/2004 8:08:27 PM   
revlis

Thanks Mike, you just asked the question I would like to ask.

May I have your kindly suggestions specifically on the naval war in Pacific theater?
I have tried to survey in Amazon.com but I don't really know where to begin.
I would like to find some 'encyclopedia-like' tool book for ship recognition and ship specification.
Short or detailed historical description of the ships will be a plus.
Is there any recommendation?

Thanks for your time and I apology for my poor English.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 16
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/5/2004 11:35:30 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: revlis
May I have your kindly suggestions specifically on the naval war in Pacific theater?
I would like to find some 'encyclopedia-like' tool book for ship recognition and ship specification.
Short or detailed historical description of the ships will be a plus..

Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1922-1946
Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II
Destroyers of World War Two: An International Encyclopedia
Cruisers of World War Two: An International Encyclopedia
Battleships of World War Two: An International Encyclopedia
Fleets of World War II
Jane's Naval History of WWII (Jane's)

Bodhi

(in reply to revlis)
Post #: 17
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/6/2004 12:17:39 AM   
MikeH1952

I would add Aircraft Carriers of the World
Author Roger Chesneau
Publisher Arms and Armour Press

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 18
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/6/2004 2:22:14 AM   
spence

I would like to add a trilogy covering the Guadalcanal Campaign, all by Eric Hammell:

"Guadalcanal: Starvation Island" (the land campaign, Savo island, Cape Esperance)
"Guadalcanal: Decision at Sea" (the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal 12-15 Nov 42)
"Guadalcanal: The Carrier Battles" (Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz Is)

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 19
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/6/2004 10:42:44 PM   
DaveConn

I've been in the process of reading Morison cover to cover; now on Vol. 13 (almost there!). I think it is a must read. He also did a one-volume history that I bought used years ago; can't remember the title, though.

As far as the air war, I highly recommend "The First Team" and "The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign", both by John Lundstrom.

(in reply to derwho)
Post #: 20
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/6/2004 10:56:33 PM   
Bodhi

That's 2 strong recommendations for Morison. Looks like it's time for it to come off the wish list and onto the buy list.

Bodhi

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 21
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/6/2004 11:58:09 PM   
FDRLincoln

I strongly recommend Combined Fleet Decoded by John Prados. It is a reexamination of the Pacific War using documents and information not available to many of the older scholars. Here is a book review:

http://themilitarybookreview.com/html/CombinedFleet.shtml

The review is very positive, but does not quite do this book justice. Although dealing with intelligence matters, the book is NOT dry at all, and includes looks at all the major battles but with a window on what was going on with the codes and such. It is enlightening and fascinating and I strongly recommend it.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 22
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/7/2004 4:37:33 AM   
witpqs

Not sure if this is the one you mean, I have Morison's The Two-Ocean War. It's excellent and makes me want to eventually read the multi-volume work you are talking about.

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 23
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/14/2004 8:47:15 AM   
cbclimber

I recommend the following…

Fading Victory by Admiral Matome Ugaki. This is a day by day diary of the Pacific War from Pearl Harbor up until his suicide at wars end. He comments on all the battles and campaigns but most interesting is his description of Yamamoto’s assassination (Ugaki was in the other Betty bomber during the P38 attack). This book is loaded and very easy to read…an absolute must.

At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange. A master work by the non-fiction master. If you haven’t read this then your not into the Pacific Theatre genre. Everything you ever wanted to know about Pearl Harbor but were afraid to ask. Military, Politics, Espionage.
Seen from both opponents perspectives.

Miracle at Midway by Gordon Prange. The battle of Midway as seen from both sides.

Others…

MacArthur and Defeat in the Philippines by Richard Connaughton. That Mac was a bad, bad boy. The general missed his calling…he should have run the marketing department for Enron.

Alone on Guadalcanal by Martin Clemons. Interesting how blown up this guy’s image has become over the years…Not to worry…Clemons puts he record right.

Samarai by Saburo Sakai. Exciting read and more importantly can be cross referenced for accuracy…its all here. Memoirs of a Japanese ace. A staple of the air war in the Pacific.

Pawns of War by Dwight Messimer. Well written account of the sinking of the Langley and Pacos. All I can say is it really sucked to be them.

Bloody Buna by Lida Mayo. The U.S. Army in New Guinea. The troops should have gotten the headlines for their sacrifices (more than the marines on Guadalcanal). unfortunately MacArthur (as usual) stole the spotlight.

(in reply to MikeH1952)
Post #: 24
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/18/2004 10:37:11 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: drwho

I never owned it, but my local public library had the full set (many, many years ago) and I hauled every one of them home and read it. Great resource... Samuel Eliot Morison was commissioned by the Navy to document the war and he did a quite an excellent job of it. He was right there in the middle of it all of it with his staff of writers and photographers.

There was a one volume summary, but in checking Amazon, that is completely out of print.

I did once own a paperback of that one and dearly regret that about 7 years ago I donated all of my military history books to the local school (not realizing that I would later decide to be a history teacher). I did keep my 126 volume Illustated History of WWII (it was put out in a weekly magazine format - I'm away from home right now so I can't quote the title... I think Marshal Cavendish was the publisher). I also retained all of my Ballantine Books Illustrated Histories of WW II (and WW I). Those are still available from Amazon.

Ah, those were the days... real history sold on the magazine rack of your local supermarket!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to derwho)
Post #: 25
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/18/2004 10:38:47 AM   
rhondabrwn

BTW... what happens when I go over 100 posts?

I'm shameless... but must do it!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 26
RE: Question on Good Books on the Pacific War - 12/18/2004 10:39:12 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

BTW... what happens when I go over 100 posts?

I'm shameless... but must do it!

Ah, I'm a "Veteran" now....

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Question on Good Books on the Pacific War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI