Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LAN Support

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> LAN Support Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LAN Support - 1/29/2005 6:16:34 AM   
madgamer2

I might be asking something that may have been mentioned before but
is there any thought being given to adding a LAN support game mode to a future patch? The reason ihas not been done alreadyu may be that the design of the game might make it impossible to include. Is there any possible way this might be added in a future patch? Just wondering.
Madgamer
Post #: 1
RE: LAN Support - 1/29/2005 2:54:22 PM   
eMonticello

I have two questions:

a) What benefits are there in having LAN support for a turn-based game?
b) How many folks would actually use the it?

It seems to me that if you're playing the game across the internet, then you would simply IM your opponent. If you're playing via a LAN, then you would drop the save file into a public folder and either tap your opponent on his shoulder, yell his name across the room, or use a LAN chat program to alert your opponent of the end-of-turn.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 2
RE: LAN Support - 1/30/2005 3:54:55 PM   
madgamer2

I guess I don't really see this as a true turn based game, even though it really is. I see it as each side having a orders or operation phase then the resolution phase. The only real advantage to a LAN setup would be the time factor. I and the people I play with take a fair amount of time for each turn which can make the game very long. If it was playable over a LAN then both sides could enter ther movement and orders then have the rsolution phase. In head to head games it now takesa a lot of time to play but that could be due to the fact that I and those who I play the game with are old guys who can't move and think as fast as you youngsters.
Madgamer

(in reply to eMonticello)
Post #: 3
RE: LAN Support - 1/30/2005 5:43:45 PM   
eMonticello

OK, I see the value of LAN support within a game. The questions are, does the current design allow for a LAN support retrofit?

Second, if the new feature was possible, how much would folks be willing to pay for it (either separately or bundled with a Mod)?

TacOps is the only game that I am aware where the designer retrofitted LAN (and multiplayer) support into an existing product, but the retrofit of the consumer TacOps was an outgrowth of the development work for the military-version TacOps.

I believe there are a number of design features that could speed things up, such as HQ hierarchial structure (this would reduce the amount of time required to plan operations, since it provides summarized information of the units available within an HQ ... similar to the summarized base information. Unfortunately, all units are assigned to a theater HQ and not their organic HQ.), pre-designated convoy routes with waypoints (create a convoy and select a convoy route), and, now, LAN support.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> LAN Support Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI