Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/14/2004 7:00:57 PM   
Gallo Rojo

FYI:

Windows version of both SPCamo's Steel Panthers version (SPWW2&SPMBT) will be avaiable in spring!
We're talking about the wide SPWW2 OOBs and its smart AI plus the cool SPWaW like graphics and sounds (and summer/winter/desert cammo icons), less the problems of running a DOS game in Windows!!

< Message edited by Gallo Rojo -- 10/14/2004 5:01:22 PM >

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
Post #: 1
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/14/2004 7:40:42 PM   
Charles2222

If nothing else we at least know that the final versions of both DOS games will be that way for at least 9 months.

The one seething, often difficult to get over problem of the dough boy infantry men ought to be no more with the Windows versions. I suppose they won't work on making anything like SPWAW's real mm's armor thickness or having opfire. I'm not sure I prefer opfire to the SPWAW outlook, but having real armor ratings alongside slope would be an improvement too.

Hmmm, I think of them improving the graphics right away with a Windows version, but I'd have to imagine they will update the audio too. It certainly opens the door for a best ever SP.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 2
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/14/2004 9:15:37 PM   
sami heimola

Great news. I already noticed this from Wargamer's forum. Can't wait until next spring... Hopefully Camo Workshop will improve new online battle feature into both games (like SPWAW has) too! It could be every SPww2/MBT player's wet dream... At least for me. I suppose that graphics and sounds will get totally new "dimension" in Windows environment. And how to get those ARENA/VIRSS systems to work like in dos versions (even improve better)? Only time will tell...

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 3
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 5:46:45 AM   
KG Erwin

This thread really has nothing to do with SPWaW, but I'll leave it alone. There's a Wargamer forum area for SPWW2 and SPMBT discussions, is there not?

I don't make a habit of discussing SPWaW on SPWW2 threads, and I'm not about to start. They are different games.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/14/2004 10:50:41 PM >

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 4
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 4:01:26 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Bloody hell KG, the game is called Steel Panthers, all the letters and numbers following the true name are really just nitpicking in the end.

The game is Steel Panthers.

Saying this is a SPWaW forum and that a person shouldn't feel good about discussing SPMBT on it, is only a good way of ensuring anyone truely dedicated to the game, decides to stalk off in a huff and discuss it where it is just called Steel Panthers and no need to fret over who made it or how.

As for Wargamer, hmm less I say about Wargamer the better I suppose.
But I wouldnt suggest anyone waste their time there waiting for indepth discussion on any game.
Wargamer is good for reviews and good for downloads but the wrong place to go for an indepth discussion.

If a person reeeeeeeeally wants to talk Steel Panthers, and any form of Steel Panthers, they might want to consider Warfare HQ, where the only thing they require of the member, is a serious discussion.
http://www.war-forums.com/forums/

"I don't make a habit of discussing SPWaW on SPWW2 threads, and I'm not about to start. They are different games."

This might get you in a snit KG, but they AREN'T different games.

Panzer General or Campaign series or Squad Battles, those are different games.
Discussing those in detail in here might be seen as possibly right kind of people not as effective a choice of a location.

There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 4:40:23 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

This thread really has nothing to do with SPWaW, but I'll leave it alone. There's a Wargamer forum area for SPWW2 and SPMBT discussions, is there not?

I don't make a habit of discussing SPWaW on SPWW2 threads, and I'm not about to start. They are different games.

I dont believe the Beach Boys album "Smile" has anything to do with SPWAW either

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=723147

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 5:22:44 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Well as it goes Alby, I can see anything overtly "General" in nature being bumped into "General Discussions" and it not being to entirely a "foul".

But it is increasingly becoming apparent, anything not overly wargaming in nature, is not being overly well received overly well in General Discussions either.

Which really only means, a lot of people are likely to become increasingly overly supportive of "other places" if the Matrix Games forums are increasingly overly unsupportive of a friendly community feel towards its members.

I can see turfing political rants, as they rarely stay friendly.
But when a forum becomes a store front, it does indeed lose some of it's charm.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 8:46:56 PM   
m10bob

I would hate to see a clique develop..A lot of us,myself included would be "outta here".
It has never been the case before,I would hate to be a victim of it now..Bob

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 8
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 9:18:18 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

Holy wierdness Batman! I agreed with HG on something!

Goblin

Post #: 9
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 9:26:03 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

Well as it goes Alby, I can see anything overtly "General" in nature being bumped into "General Discussions" and it not being to entirely a "foul".

But it is increasingly becoming apparent, anything not overly wargaming in nature, is not being overly well received overly well in General Discussions either.

Which really only means, a lot of people are likely to become increasingly overly supportive of "other places" if the Matrix Games forums are increasingly overly unsupportive of a friendly community feel towards its members.

I was agreeing with you, in case you misunderstood my post.

Post #: 10
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/15/2004 11:15:07 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

That's alright KG as the SPWW2 forum at Wargamer got infiltrated by SPWAW too.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/16/2004 1:28:53 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, guys, I understand. The only thing I want to prevent is any sort of potential partisan confrontation or debate about "which is better". I said I'd leave the thread alone, and so I will, unless any debates or flaming start.

Now, as a general rule, I would think that other games should be discussed in their proper forum areas. Les is partially right, but the SP Camo version of Steel Panthers and the Matrix version are distant relations, based upon different game engines. It's a classic case of apples vs oranges.

As for the general OT stuff, I want to keep the forums focused, but we all have lives and interests outside of SPWaW, so a little bleedover doesn't necessarily hurt. As an example, tonight I'm watching the special edition DVD of one of my all-time favorite movies, "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". I'm popping some cold ones, and I already know that I'll be crying like a baby when the movie ends. Let's go, Chief!

This will be my last posting for today. I'll check in tomorrow morning. I wish all of you a pleasant evening.

Gunny

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 12
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/16/2004 2:25:12 AM   
rich12545

The new 7.1 patch was supposed to solve the freezing problem in winxp so I thought I'd try it again. Still got freezes. Oh well. Looked through the scenarios and was surprised to find virtually none on the Pacific theater. Out of about 250. I still think it misses opfire, overrun and melee that we have in spwaw.

Btw, why does it take Matrix soooooo long to post a patch once they have it. Makes no sense at all.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 13
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/16/2004 4:08:16 AM   
wodin

Just bought Smile myself, very good album, harmonies are superb. Moody Blues "In search of the lost chord" is another great album with harmonies.

Sorry.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 14
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/16/2004 4:29:13 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Thanks for the further comment clarification Alby :)

Things that have happened in 2004 that I thought were a combination of things, but mostly were unfortunate.

The ole stomping grounds became "less a home, and more a place of business".

That's not a negative nor a complaint.

Just an observation.

There are lots of stores I really love to visit. Nothing turns my crank more for instance, than to visit a local hobby store in Toronto.
They always have the most cutting edge models and support products, and the staff are all older guys not bored uninformed kids paying for an education with a job they could care less about in a year or two.
But I don't really go there to hang out. And I don't tend to have much use for the place if I have no effective way of buying anything while there.

MMP makers of ASL among other things. They have a great web page if you are looking to buy. No forums though. Forums take effort and time among other things. Effort and time that might be used on producing the games I suppose.
Now ASL is a board game admittedly, and thus, you will never be downloading a latest official patch for any of the modules for one thing.
But the company does have guys that are out there in the world of forums interacting with the fan base answering questions etc.
Keith Dalton likely has an uneviable job though, as he gets to deal with guys like me asking those tough questions about the game.
But Keith fields all those answers as a guest of Warfare HQ.

Warfare HQ is run as a club first and last. It's well organised admittedly. And a member would have to be pretty dim to want indepth discussion of the ASL game outside of the ASL forum there.
But the forum like I said, is run as a club. It isn't a business.

When I first came to Matrix Games, the game was Steel Panthers. We all knew it was basically the Steel Panthers WaW version for the most part.
But in the span of about 2 years time, I realised the Steel Panthers community was a very dedicated very passionate very active group.
I really got to like the game mostly for the community, not for the game itself.
The game is just a game eh. If I deleted every single game out of my life but say for instance Strategic Command (another computer game I like), my life would not implode.

I miss the community feel to the place here (Matrix Games the place, not just one specific portion of Matrix Games).
Success brings many things.
Some might not be so much bad, but they do involve changes that are not always without regrets.

The first thing that I notice each time I load up the forums, is how the forums are now such a large sprawling number of games.

There was a lot of fear and apprehension when Warfare HQ and Armchair General recently merged. And guess what, the biggest worry was about the loss of that "club" feel to the place.
And the owners were indeed concerned and indeed have done a great deal to stress they are NOT interested in losing that club feel.

The biggest thing I have noticed the last while, is there doesn't "seem" to be a coordinated sense of "interest" in Matrix Games retaining any sense of "community".
Now granted, "community" has it's limits.
And who here hasn't seen comments to the effect "we are about making games"?
That is I think, no surprise to anyone visiting Matrix Games.
Anyone here actually unaware that Matrix Games is a business?

What's the one thing though, a business should always fear?
Negative publicity.
What's the one thing you can't buy for any sum of cash normally?
Positive word of mouth.

Each person that visits Matrix Games becomes usually something in the middle (fanboys and the "I hate you crowd are really not the majority :) ).

It's not always about negative publicity, nor always a bastion of positive word of mouth either responses though.

But something really needs tobe done around here.
A handful of moderators (unpaid volunteers in some cases) is not in my view, always a realistic way to run the public face of a company.

Maybe I am just missing something.
But there are a lot of curious similarities with Matrix Games and MMP if you ask me.
Both seem to be companies, run by guys that only have their spare time available, that are seemingly being run as companies trying to look like full time businesses.
And in the end, they come off as companies seeming to make promises they seem often ill equipped to deliver on ideally.
That's not always a wise prospect.
Not a slag on either group, just an observation.

HTTR, one of the better games to grace my life in a long while.
Definitely no argument there.
But really, how much can one very finite group of guys simultaneously juggle?
Comments like "oh that game has it's own team, and they are not being distracted by other games", may well be true.
But this company, Matrix Games, how many owners are there really?
Is David Heath THE owner?
If so, how much can David really control at once?

If it is true, not one of the games here is the sole occupation of not one person involved, then how many games should David (and whomever else) be realistically indulging?
It's a logical question.
There are only 24 hours in a day. If you have a "real" job, and a family, the end result, is your "hobby business" is not going to get many hours out of you in the end.
I speak only for myself, but I don't even have the job stealing away hours, and I rarely get all the things done in any given day I want seen to.

And that is what I think is contributing to how we get to this point where it seems an overtly intrusive thing, to post a thread/post to the Steel Panthers WaW forum, and have it deemed as incorrect/inappropriate to have done so.

I think a lot of us have not been very happy to see the community paved over to make a parking lot for a store.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 15
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/16/2004 6:50:42 AM   
KG Erwin

Les, and all of you--it was solely due to David Heath, and his trust in me, which I'm frankly guilty of betraying at times for the benefit of you guys, in being the current caretaker and overseer of this forum. It is an honor, and by default it brands me as a Matrix fanboy. That is true, but only to a point. My position is complicated by being an active member of the MCSE team and subsequent SPWaW OOB teams. I'm partisan to SPWaW, and I have no reason to apologize for it.

That being said, I will sometimes offer my independent POV, as I am not an employee of Matrix. I don't speak for the company--I speak for myself, but with the company's implicit blessing. This distinction must be made clear.

So--as far as I'm given to understand, you guys can talk about anything you want as long as you're not dissing the company or its products without due cause. None of this policy affects the conduct of moderators -- I have free discretion to MOVE threads or LOCK them, but NOT TO DELETE content without prior approval. These are the guidelines, and this is how I'll exercise my best judgement .

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/16/2004 12:09:14 AM >

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 16
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 10/16/2004 7:33:54 AM   
Hexed Gamer

KG, just so you know (at least you so that you know my view at least).

I don't hold you any more accountable for actions taken (ie comments made) than I do myself actually.
And I think it can be said, I have shot myself in the foot around here at least as many times as you have done to yourself as well :)

We appear to both count David as a friend. And to be honest, I would lilely have turfed my interest in Matrix Games a long time ago on the basis of the actions of a few of it's members (whom I think have no comany status but I am not always sure in all cases), if not specifically because of my support of David himself.

Maybe we are both fanboys in the end. I can deal with it, and I suspect you don't ind the label any more than I do hehe.

But it just seems that our feelings aside, no one is genuinely worried the charm is evaporating from the place.
I am left to wonder if the owners are just unwittingly in over their heads with the task of keeping the forums a friendly environment.

They need more than persons such as yourself KG.
You are only capable of so much in the end.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/7/2005 8:36:34 PM   
Toivo

Any news or updates on release date of new MBT for Windows?

Post #: 18
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/7/2005 9:17:01 PM   
Alby

maybe you can find some info here
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SPWW2/

I kinda lokking forward to this myyself as I cant get either MBT or WW2 to run on my machine.
Causes a crash and my PC just freaks out!!

(in reply to Toivo)
Post #: 19
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/7/2005 10:36:27 PM   
Goblin

Did it get a glimpse of the shirt you are wearing in your profile pic?

Goblin

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 20
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/7/2005 10:47:51 PM   
Alby

LOL!!! Yes thats probably it!!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 21
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/11/2005 9:41:37 PM   
Wild Bill

I'd be interested in knowing more about this myself. I don't feel like trying to wrestle a dos game into Windows XP.

What we do not want to do is get engaged in a dogfight over this. Let's have fun gaming!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 22
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/11/2005 9:52:02 PM   
Alby

From Andy Gailey and Don Goodbrand

"We'd like to announce that there will not be any further work done on the DOS based SPWW2 or SPMBT games but that the next versions of both games will be fully windows based. WinSPMBT is scheduled to release in the Spring 2005 and WinSPWW2 will be released later in 2005. There will be many additions to both games including new terrain and game systems plus the ability to play the game in full screen or windowed mode in all screen resolutions from 640x480 up to1600x1200. An added "zoom in" level has been built into the game for resolutions above 640x480. More details will be announced in the future. "

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/12/2005 8:58:36 AM   
Wild Bill

I'm not sure where to find this when it does come out, but I'm definitely interested in taking a look at both of them. Let me know Alby, please...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 24
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/12/2005 10:10:20 AM   
Randy

Alby can you give us any more hints or can you have the SPMBT guys give us any more hints? We can't wait to see what the new additions will be. Thanks

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/12/2005 6:09:54 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

I'm not sure where to find this when it does come out, but I'm definitely interested in taking a look at both of them. Let me know Alby, please...WB

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm

That's a good starting point WB, as there will likely be a link to it there when the time is right.

It also currently resides here: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/index.htm for the downloads themselves.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/12/2005 7:40:48 PM   
Alby

you can find some info here
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SPMBT/

or here

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm

or here
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SPWW2/

< Message edited by Alby -- 3/12/2005 12:39:08 PM >

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 27
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/13/2005 4:55:48 PM   
omegaall

Well since I use all 3 games and accept the differences.
My only BIG comment on this is MAKE SURE IT RUNS ON SERVER 2003 not just XP or is that HexedP.
Actually that would aply to all 3 games.
Interesting note SPWAW ran on Server 2000 but does not work on Server 2003.
I need to do something at work!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 28
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/16/2005 7:37:35 AM   
Randy

I just checked the SP Camo site and the release date has been changed to: released during the Spring. This refers to the SPMBT info. Oh well, its not like we've never waited before!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to omegaall)
Post #: 29
RE: WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! - 3/17/2005 10:19:49 AM   
skukko

To omegaall:

quote:

Interesting note SPWAW ran on Server 2000 but does not work on Server 2003.
I need to do something at work!

let me know if you get spwaw to work on server2003. I am just about to install server2003 for educational purpose and I thought it would be cool to play some while "working"

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WinSPWW2/MBT will be avaiable soon!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI