Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem running Pacific War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Problem running Pacific War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem running Pacific War - 4/29/2001 4:45:00 PM   
Pacnut

Hi, I don't now where else to turn so I will ask you guys. I downloaded the latest version of Pacific War ver 2.2 just yesterday. I am running a Windows 98 on a Pentium 3 at 600hz I have plenty of ram an huge hardrive and every time I try to start PacWar I get to the credits screen then it quits. In pure DOS mode it says: Bad Command and in Windows it ways the program has tried an illegal function. What can I do? I would love to be able to try this new version. Thanks

Post #: 1
- 4/29/2001 11:29:00 PM   
RickyB

quote:

Originally posted by Bobby: Hi, I don't now where else to turn so I will ask you guys. I downloaded the latest version of Pacific War ver 2.2 just yesterday. I am running a Windows 98 on a Pentium 3 at 600hz I have plenty of ram an huge hardrive and every time I try to start PacWar I get to the credits screen then it quits. In pure DOS mode it says: Bad Command and in Windows it ways the program has tried an illegal function. What can I do? I would love to be able to try this new version. Thanks
This sounds like the out of memory problem. Although you have plenty of RAM, the game is an old DOS one, where it is limited to the first 640k of RAM. You want the following two lines in your config.sys file: device=c:\windows\himem.sys dos=high,umb You do NOT want a line that has emm386 in it - that maps all of your extra RAM to ems memory using the first 640k, so it reduces the available amount, or if you have it, try adding noems to the end of it. To edit the file, go to a DOS prompt, do cd\ and enter, then type edit config.sys and enter. If you have an emm386 line, you can remove it by adding rem and a space to the beginning of it, then remove the rem if you find out other programs have problems. Good luck.

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to Pacnut)
Post #: 2
- 4/30/2001 2:21:00 AM   
Christian Blex

Or just start Windows in "Safety Mode", with just the necessary drivers loaded. Works quite good (the same with War in Russia).

"Kotzen und kleckern!!!"

(in reply to Pacnut)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Problem running Pacific War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI