Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

any chance that the ground movement can be fixed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 5:33:50 AM   
Nomad

these chinese units have been in sinyang for a long time. I am trying to move them to Ichang. I made sure that they all had Ichang as their destination and were marching West to start. As each unit reached 59 miles they switched march direction to SW, which is an unallowed movement. If I leave them there, they stay at 59 miles and never do anything else. After they all got to that position I reset them all to Ichang again and verified that they had W as their march direction. Again, as they approach 59 miles they switch their march direction to SW. My opponent has been bombarding every turn but I do not know if that is what affects it. It doesn't eally matter, it is a bug.

This is a 1.602 game, started with 1.602. Andrews map and senario 115.

These land movement problems have been in the game since 1.0, can we see about getting them fixed? Or is the only solution to never move into a hex that has an enemy unit in it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nomad -- 9/28/2005 5:39:05 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 12:38:38 PM   
Yamato hugger

When I set the destination as the base they were originally going to, it doesnt reset the march counter. But then, I use 1.60. Click a unit, select "move to" as Ichang, select next unit, "move to" Ichang, ect. If you use follow or all march, I know it resets the "following" units (one reason I dont use "follow").

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 2
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 12:54:41 PM   
Twotribes

Ohh, ya there is one task force at start to refuel the Japanese Carriers, this task forces is set to replenishment and has TK in it. If you disband or remove TK from this task force you will never again have tk available , this is something done by the creator of the scenario, TK cant normally join a replenishment TF.

The advice given is to never disband this TF. If ships in it take damage send them to a port and they can repair to 5 damage, that is better than disbanding and losing the capablilty of those TK.

Grr wrong thread LOL sorry.

< Message edited by Twotribes -- 9/28/2005 12:56:49 PM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 1:36:51 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

When I set the destination as the base they were originally going to, it doesnt reset the march counter. But then, I use 1.60. Click a unit, select "move to" as Ichang, select next unit, "move to" Ichang, ect. If you use follow or all march, I know it resets the "following" units (one reason I dont use "follow").

In this case it does reset the counter becasuse they can not get to Ichang by going SW first. since the initial march direction changes the miles counter resets back to 0. I have done this twice, now they all have 85+ fatigue.

Anyone from Matrix or 2x3 want to comment

< Message edited by Nomad -- 9/28/2005 1:37:39 PM >

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 4
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 4:19:04 PM   
patrickl

Hi Nomad,

I would not have been so nice, if I were you. I would have screamed but then to no avail. Maybe we have to help ourself. Anyone here in the Forum knows IT stuff and change the codes. Mr Frag is gone and the designers don't seem to respond.

Yeah 59 mile bug, what a pain in the neck.
Cheers!
Patrick

Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 5
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 4:40:59 PM   
michaelm75au

Hi
use the 'R' and F6 keys and just see what sort of terrain/hexside is between those hexes.

If your units get "attacked", they will cancel their movement if their destination is NOT a base.

Michael

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 6
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/28/2005 8:14:24 PM   
Nomad

I have no idea how the terrain would make a difference. They are set to go to Ichang which is a base in my control. The only hex between them is owned by me with a unit present. As you can see from the picture, there are 'A's in the two hexes in question.

Michael, read my original post, the units are not cancelling their movement( I have another game where that is happening). they are changing the direction of their movement.

The big question is "Why do the units change from going W to going SW when they get to 59 miles?" One more time, could some one, maybe from Matrix or 2x3 comment on this. Is this something that they might fix( they said they would fix bugs not implement new features )? It is not like this is a new bug, there have been ground movement bugs from version 1.0.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 9/28/2005 8:17:03 PM >

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 7
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 9/30/2005 3:33:21 PM   
Nomad

Looks like "no comment" is the preferred response to bugs.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 8
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/1/2005 9:47:03 PM   
Wolfpack_MatrixForum

I am seeing the same exact behavior in my game with Castor Troy. Probably will lose a bunch of chinese troops as a result.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 9
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/2/2005 12:58:22 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

I am seeing the same exact behavior in my game with Castor Troy. Probably will lose a bunch of chinese troops as a result.

Just tell me in which hex your troops are and I send in some Jap divisions and resolve this bug!

Seriously, is anyone from Matrix still interested in bug reports or anything else? In the last few month the forum turned pretty quiet.

(in reply to Wolfpack_MatrixForum)
Post #: 10
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/2/2005 1:11:41 AM   
Halsey

It's pretty obvious that the Matrix crew has washed its hands of this title.
If it isn't a game breaking bug, it's not ever going to be fixed.

Too bad for all of us dedicated players that we now play a half designed and tested game.
It should have been released with the title of "Fantasy in the Pacific".

It can still be a fun game to play if players don't abuse the mechanics and allowances given in the game.

< Message edited by Halsey -- 10/2/2005 4:46:18 AM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 11
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/3/2005 6:22:51 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Looks like "no comment" is the preferred response to bugs.

Looks like no mods at all left. Mr. Frag disappeared into the maw of work, and Mogami is MIA with (we think) computer problems. Don't know if any of the other mods pay attention to this forum now except from an occasional visit by VicKevlar to shut down a thread...

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 12
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/3/2005 11:49:07 PM   
Nikademus

looks like a logic bomb of sorts. When setting a multi hex destination (usually to a base) the game attempts to path the easiest route (i.e. by road or rail if possible) However in this case the path is blocked by a Japanese ZOC. The player could direct plot into the tougher hex directly but this in turn gets cancelled by the Japanese bombardment.

Admitedly this was one of my peeves and i'd long asked that the "movement plot cancel due to bombardment" rule be removed. As it stands the only way around is to plot movement to a base but now we loop back to the problem that the game is trying to go by the easiest route which is blocked...hence 59 miles and wait till the hex clears.

I'm not sure if its a "bug" par se though it might be since i've seen the TacAI move my units "into" a higher cost terrain hex in order to avoid an enemy ZOC that was empty.

Would your opponent be willing to not bombard allowing you to retreat?

< Message edited by Nikademus -- 10/3/2005 11:52:36 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 13
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/4/2005 2:19:20 AM   
Nomad

I'm not sure Nik, I haven't brought it up. I do think there is a bug working here, not sure where it is. The fact that the units in question start with a direction of W which is toward Ichang and then some turns later switching( I think it occurs when they get to 59 miles) to SW and then staying at 59 miles is not what was intended. I will ask my opponent tomorrow if we can work something out. I am not sure that I can get them to move to the next hex since they are starting in a jointly owned hex. I think I have to give them a base as a destination, not just a hex.

Like so many other ... problems ... this is not a game breaker or stopper, but very agravating.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 14
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/4/2005 4:23:11 AM   
Nikademus

I have seen this behavior before. example: destination is a 1 hex hope to base, unit gives all indication that it will go directly there, however instead, the unit goes to the right or left, then travels another 60 miles to the destination hex. reason: the easier path led made the LCU plot an indirect course even though it meant a two hex trip (but faster accumulation of movement points)

I do know that when a unit is attempting to enter hex that for whatever reason becomes "invalid" the code is designed to stop movement accumulation at 59 miles until the restricting situation is removed. Thats why i'm not sure it's a bug but more a conflict within the rules.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 15
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/4/2005 5:36:44 AM   
Nomad

OK, I have learned something. I did not know about the 59 mile hang up. That explains a lot of weird behavior connected with the 59 mile thing. Somewhere it is deciding to change its march direction( funny that is does not reset the march distance counter). I will ask Mark if he will not bombard for 60 days( their fatigue is about 90+ now, they have marched 59 miles twice). Thanks for some clarification Nik. One nasty aspect about the complexity of this game is that it is sometimes hard to tell what aspect of wierd behavior is the bug.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 16
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/4/2005 5:12:39 PM   
rtrapasso

Here's a little hooker on the 59 mile bug:

In my PBEM game vs. Pompac, he had several IJA infantry units trying to move across clear terrain and they got to 59 miles and hung. He ignored this for a long time. Suddenly, the units moved - one unit moved 1 hex, the second unit moved 2 hexes all at once, materializing on the road leading out of my Chinese city. Of course, this happened at the same time that another unit moved in on the opposite side. The effect was a unit "beamed down" in my rear, cutting off the city, the supply line, and line of retreat!!

Fortunately, Adm. Pompac, being the gentleman that he is, allowed how this was not exactly fair, and moved the "beamed down unit" out and let me get the supply line open again (while suspending the attacks on the threatened city).

Other weird movement stuff: units ceasing to march for no apparent reason, units reversing direction of march (for no apparent reason,) slingshotting units N to S, slingshotting units E-W, infantry units zooming across clear terrain hexes in 4 turns, and other fun stuff!

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 17
RE: any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? - 10/5/2005 2:44:51 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Here's a little hooker on the 59 mile bug:

In my PBEM game vs. Pompac, he had several IJA infantry units trying to move across clear terrain and they got to 59 miles and hung. He ignored this for a long time. Suddenly, the units moved - one unit moved 1 hex, the second unit moved 2 hexes all at once, materializing on the road leading out of my Chinese city. Of course, this happened at the same time that another unit moved in on the opposite side. The effect was a unit "beamed down" in my rear, cutting off the city, the supply line, and line of retreat!!

The "Covert Ops Encircement" feature is really kinda neat if I could figure out how to control it. Take unit on rail line and divide it into three parts. Direct one unit one hex to secondery road, second unit one hex to the secondery road and then one hex onto a trail, third unit down rail line one hex then one hex onto trail (pathing is left to the AI but those are the shortest paths). All three units sit there for a long (but unrecorded) time. Suddenly all three appear at the originally commanded positions to provide a perfect encirclement!

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> any chance that the ground movement can be fixed? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI