Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Norm's msg and development of ToaW..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 11:28:36 AM   
L`zard

All Righty, then;

Befor everyone goes insane, Let's remember that 'Siberian Heat' (aka: Brian King..) is on top of the Matrix dev team, eh?

Brian is one of the most recoqnised 'vets' from any of the Toaw boards extant, and won't screw anyone...vis the parts of Toaw that all of us want.

"Gently, Gently, catchee monkey......"

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

Post #: 1
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 1:26:23 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

Befor everyone goes insane

Why should anybody be going insane?

We are talking about a game here.

Hopefully Matrix will patch it, bring it up to XP standard, perhaps put a couple new scenarios in it, publish it and I will then buy it.

Jeez guys, what are you expecting?

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 2
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 1:38:53 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava
Why should anybody be going insane?

We are talking about a game here.

If you take a look around these forums, you'll see a lot of people going insane over various game-related issues. The old "we are talking about a game here" argument doesn't work with everyone...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 3
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 2:05:32 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

If you take a look around these forums, you'll see a lot of people going insane over various game-related issues. The old "we are talking about a game here" argument doesn't work with everyone...

Well..

Then don't be surprised when your expectations are not met.

When I look around "here" I see a lot of old grogs hoping for a massive update to meet their desires. THAT, IMO is unrealistic, unless of course you plan to make a totally new game.

I just want a patched game. If Matrix throws in some new features, scenarios, what have you.. that is a bonus.

Game development is not an easy process. It takes a LOT OF TIME. Just isolating a single bug can take hours and hours of testing, let alone testing the fix to make sure the fix doesn't "break" something else.

I think people need to lower their expectations around here. They act like TOAW is totally broken and requires "a list of 100 fixes."

Here is the truth of the matter. TOAW is not broken. It is a great game. With a minimum of tinkering it can be enhanced and worthy of republication. And it holds great potential for future development. That is the truth, the reality, nothing more nothing less.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 2:37:12 PM   
L`zard

Well, Lava,

It would be nice if there were major updates to this wonderful game.........

But (sigh) your most likely entirely correct.

Non the less, I'll be entirely happy with what-ever I can get. Some of the items in the 'tweaks list' could be done, eh?

But as you say: 'give me my 1.07 patch' and I'll be satisfied........

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 5
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 3:08:19 PM   
Terminus

Me too. And three, for that matter...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 6
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 4:30:52 PM   
macgregor

I'm not terribly surprised by Norm's message. Bottom line: He created a great game that I'm thankful for. I'm also thankful for Matrix games to see the value in a game like this. I've been full of requests, yes, but that's what I do. Hopefully they resonate with Matrix. I don't expect huge improvements from the first release. As long as I know they're going to stick to one version that gets upgraded through a series of patches, I'll buy it, regardless of how 'new and improved' it is.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/19/2005 9:14:44 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

I'm not terribly surprised by Norm's message. Bottom line: He created a great game that I'm thankful for. I'm also thankful for Matrix games to see the value in a game like this.

Me too!

Actually, I think if the Matrix dudes play their cards right they will find that people will be quite happy to contribute free scenarios to be published under the Martix logo given they receive a simple credit. There are tons of really kewl scenarios out there. Making sure they are compatible (playable and well tested) with the upgraded engine and publishing them would keep me quite happy and busy for some time.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 8
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/20/2005 12:47:18 AM   
johnhulten

I have paid more money for TOAW than for any other game, and for many others combined. Talonsoft put out so many versions. Now I will buy another. With pleasure.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 9
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/20/2005 2:56:05 AM   
Szilard

The thought of what the code probably looks like makes me

(Eg: Anybody who could produce the execrable TOAW editor probably isn't going to be writing very friendly code, IMO.)

I'd be surprised to see any significant modification to TOAW anytime soon.

(in reply to johnhulten)
Post #: 10
RE: Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. - 10/20/2005 5:03:37 PM   
Capitaine

Ah, well, it's good at least to have some insight on this. Norm's silence for so long suggested he might actually be interested in getting back into TOAW development. But in view of his post, and this "Project Ivan" new operational game, you can see that Matrix's real activity here is more akin to what they did with "Steel Panthers" and not a next generation operational game.

This is beneficial to gamers who have remained players of TOAW over the years, and those who weren't but would be interested in that going forward. For myself, though, this isn't the new development of TOAW I thought might be possible with Norm "on board". Good to know.

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Norm's msg and development of ToaW.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI