Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

History Channel show on Waterloo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> History Channel show on Waterloo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
History Channel show on Waterloo - 11/29/2005 6:14:00 AM   
coach3play4

Very good show tonight on Waterloo. It was called history detectives, and it covered various topics, using modern research techniques, on why the French lost.
For example they drew a computer model of the Hougemont farmhouse, and showed lines of sight and the lack of cover - explaining the huge losses of the French, and the time delay taking the farm/fort.
The main point - why didn't the French bring up artil to blast the structure? The answer was no good command and control. Other interesting points included a demonstration of why horses would not break a square, and the "herd" effect. Another was the better range of the british rifles versus the French mustkets.
Looking forward to this game - I know the first thing I'll do is bring up the big guns first on the farm house!
Post #: 1
RE: History Channel show on Waterloo - 11/29/2005 6:30:39 AM   
sol_invictus

Watched this show several months ago and again tonight. I usually like these shows and the one on Waterloo is really nice. A very good series imo. Bring on the GAME!

(in reply to coach3play4)
Post #: 2
RE: History Channel show on Waterloo - 11/29/2005 4:03:34 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

The main point - why didn't the French bring up artil to blast the structure? The answer was no good command and control.

LOL, I made this very argument years ago to a number of anglophile wargamers who were arguing for a nearly invincible defense modifier to Hougoumont in BG:Waterloo. They insisted that Hougoumont was an impregnable fortress, resistant to artillery, that Wellington recognized this, and any attempt by the French to take the place was doomed from the get-go. Having been to Waterloo to study the farmhouse and also knowing a bit about real artillery forts, I maintained that a couple of cannon could've breached the walls easily, but the French command failed in a number of respects that could've made the assault successful (which the gamer could rectify in his own strategy). I never made any headway with these fellas, who maintained to the bitter end that only by bypassing Hougoumont completely could the French have averted disaster.

When the myth becomes legend, sometimes it is impossible for fact to intrude. Was glad to see this History Channel feature set the record straight.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: History Channel show on Waterloo - 11/29/2005 5:28:47 PM   
Le Tondu

Silly Capitaine,

Don't you know? The Anglophiles are right. It was the Superhuman British that defeated Napoleon at Waterloo and nothing else.

Things like poor command and control, treachery, muddy ground, and Germans -- they had nothing to do with it.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> History Channel show on Waterloo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI