Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread - 4/12/2006 5:53:29 PM   
Damien Thorn

When Witp I was first proposed it was mentioned that it would have TCP/IP connectability. That got dropped. I would like to see that as an option for WitP II. TCP/IP would allow the game to be designed in a very different way than PBEM. For example, the game could get input from theuser DURING turn execution. It could ask players to choose air targets, ask if they want to intercept task forces that became sighted during the turn. It opens up a lot of more options. We could still have PBEM but players would have to have their responses saved in a default setup for theturn. For example they might set their responses for the turn: target priority CV, BB, CA, ... In essence, this is what we have now in WitP I, except that we can never change the 'default' values taht were picked for us be the developers.

Also, assuming we still have PBEM games, I would hope that the Japanese player's execution phase would be recorded and the recording played back on the Allied player's computer. The current sustem of saving a random seed doesn't work too well. We've have issues and patches where the options settings on the machines make differences in the playback results. A simple recording, along with log files should be enough for the Allied player to get all of the tactical intel that the Japanese player gets.

Damien Thorn
Post #: 1
RE: WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread - 4/12/2006 6:02:15 PM   
fokkov

I would like this a lot.
Its excisting in an old dos game from QQp, "WWII, battles of the south pacific".
There's a lot of things from that game i would like to see in WITP (or WITP2).

I hope de developers have a look at this oldy for ideas.
(btw does anyone know this game , i sometimes think i bought the only copy).

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 2
RE: WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread - 4/12/2006 6:09:12 PM   
Mike Scholl

Problem with this as I see it Damien would be to find enough players who are retired and unmarried and have 10 hours a day to spend on-line playing WITP.

(in reply to fokkov)
Post #: 3
RE: WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread - 4/12/2006 7:45:53 PM   
Damien Thorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Problem with this as I see it Damien would be to find enough players who are retired and unmarried and have 10 hours a day to spend on-line playing WITP.

lol, yeah that would cut me out. Actually, it wouldn't take more time. In fact, it would take less time because you could both enter orders at the same time. The only problem would be arranging for both players to be on at the same time.
The best system would be one where a single game could be played both ways. When you were both avainable you could do turns TCP/IP, which would be faster, and when you were not both avainable you could fall back on the PBEM method.

Damien Thorn

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WitP II Multiplayer-specific Issues Discussion Thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI