Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

XML File Editing for Dummies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> XML File Editing for Dummies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/7/2006 3:19:53 AM   
Beach23BoyP

Someone needs to do a tutorial on editing the XML file. I don't have the time, plus I'm not smart enough! I just edit stuff and then save it and see what happens. Been doing that for the last three years or so.

Until you look at it you will not believe what it can do (especially you OOTPers). All you have to do go to the XML folder and save/copy the "puresim.xml" to another name. Mine is named "Beach23BoyP_51_Fantasy.xml". Then load-up your new XML up using Wordpad. (Don't forget to change the DESCRIPTION line to something you will recognize inside the program. Mine just says "Beach23BoyP_51_Fantasy" -- the same as the file name.)

I just changed the base running/catcher arm modifiers because there were way too many stolen bases and the catchers weren't throwing out enough runners as far as I was concerned. Plus, I jacked up the HRs a bit.

You can easily change almost ANYTHING in the program! Try it. You will like it. After you edit stuff be sure and go inside the program and force your association (league) to use your new XML file (engine file).

It is that easy. Trust me. You can make PS walk and talk -- and spit out whatever stats you want! I couldn't see playing PureSim without editing the XML file. You'll feel the same after the first night of changing it to what you want. It is without a doubt the best thing Shaun has ever done.

< Message edited by Beach23BoyP -- 6/7/2006 3:27:48 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/7/2006 4:26:19 PM   
jzicc

I did a lot of fooling around with MVP 2004 datafiles so it is great to see that he made it so accessible ---- A QUESTION --- I assume you don't have to Recompact or anything? It just reads the file? (sorry if it's a dumb question -- I always thought XML was the newer version of satellite radio

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 2
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/7/2006 4:56:20 PM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzicc

I did a lot of fooling around with MVP 2004 datafiles so it is great to see that he made it so accessible ---- A QUESTION --- I assume you don't have to Recompact or anything? It just reads the file? (sorry if it's a dumb question -- I always thought XML was the newer version of satellite radio

You simply edit in Wordpad, notepad or via the IE Explorer "source" file part. And then save it like any other file.

I'm now thinking about writing a simple tutorial that shows how to change the basic stuff. If I do I'll post it on my website as a pdf file. I may build to it over time.

(in reply to jzicc)
Post #: 3
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/7/2006 5:12:25 PM   
sposfan

Here's a link to a thread on the old site. Not sure how relevant eveything is, I haven't had a chance to check out the new XML yet.

http://p089.ezboard.com/fpuresimbaseballfrm21.showMessage?topicID=558.topic

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 4
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 4:57:22 AM   
Amaroq

I'll have a go at the old thread later, maybe this evening, maybe this weekend, and I'll post back *here* things I've noticed which are significantly different.

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 5
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 5:38:38 AM   
lynchjm24

That guy who posted that is a dope :).

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 6
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 5:55:11 AM   
sposfan

maybe so, but he's just so damn cute! :)

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 7
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 6:51:30 AM   
KG Erwin

LOL! Play nice, lynchjm24.  None of us know the big picture, 'cept  Shaun.   We just get a glimpse behind the Wizard's curtain once in awhile, which is fine with me.

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 8
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 6:53:21 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24

Great stuff. I had forgotten all about that! I'm now off the hook!

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 9
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 1:30:55 PM   
jzicc

quote:

your quote : --- "Anyway, this is going to be my last thread on the PS/OOTP/FOF boards. I need to find something productive to do with the time I waste on these things."

I'm glad you did not follow through on this...

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 10
RE: XML File Editing for Dummies - 6/8/2006 2:55:42 PM   
lynchjm24

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzicc

quote:

your quote : --- "Anyway, this is going to be my last thread on the PS/OOTP/FOF boards. I need to find something productive to do with the time I waste on these things."

I'm glad you did not follow through on this...

I think I was mad about something that day - but I don't think I ever meant it in a literal sense :).

(in reply to jzicc)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> XML File Editing for Dummies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI