Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Troop icons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Troop icons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Troop icons - 8/1/2000 9:26:00 PM   
Seth

Any plans to make some more country-specific troop icons? It's a bit odd to see Americans coming at you with samurai swords.

Post #: 1
- 8/1/2000 9:38:00 PM   
Wild Bill

You have much better eyes than I do, Seth. Where did you see Americans with Samurai swords? Really, somehow I missed that, but I do have a vision problem. I see bayonets on the ends of rifles but I missed the Samurai swords. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 2
- 8/1/2000 9:44:00 PM   
Seth

Look at the guy in the very back of the light khaki infantry squad. If you look very closely, you'll see that the prone LMG man has leggings. Obviously, this is a very good Japanese set. The French use this set in the desert scenario v Italy, and I've had the US and USMC use it in generated battles. Maybe they were all peeved because they thought my Brits were coming to take their Pacific Theater souvenirs away? Anyway, doesn't look quite right.

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 3
- 8/1/2000 10:21:00 PM   
renwor

I think I may throw my opinion in, just to confuse Matrix people more about general opinion I really don't care much as far as infantry icons are concerned. For me they are all a bunch of coloured blobs. ( And you thought YOU have a vision problem W.B.) But the armory/ vehicles improved icons I can see and love. Tanks to Warhorse !!! ( ow..thanks of course ) I would like to mention PZ II oversized turret and the russian airplanes. They look like from cheap toystore now. I know Warhorse can do better than that, just look at czech planes now. My 1:72 kits pale in comparision. Ok, I am not that great builder :{ Renwor

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 4
- 8/1/2000 10:27:00 PM   
Seth

Yes, I'll have to agree that the Pz. I and II seem as if they were designed to be driven by the Pep Boys or something. I think it's an artifact from SP1. Ever seen a Russian 1:72 kit? What trash The planes in the game are far better. I do like KP from CZ though. I have a nice little B-534 somewhere.

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 5
- 8/1/2000 10:53:00 PM   
amatteucci

The Japanese infantry icons pop up occasionally. In a USSR vs. Finland Game, finnish troops were wearing light kakhi uniforms and wawing katana swords... but after taking some hits they switched to Feldgrau German uniforms... I know that Finnish were master of camouflage but this is impressing BTW did anyone swapped the Icon0012.shp file with the SPWW2 counterpart? Icons in SPWaW are superior to those of SPWW2 (just to name a couple of them, the Tiger I and SPW251 are incomparably better than the old ones) but I cannot accept to have Red Army infantrymen without their kakhi blouses. Regards, Amedeo

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 6
- 8/1/2000 11:00:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by Seth: The planes in the game are far better. I do like KP from CZ though. I have a nice little B-534 somewhere.
Oh yes. they do make some nice pieces, for the price definitely. Just a pitty their offer is quite limited. I have Beaufighter from NOVO/FROG, and in spite of my best efort, it still looks like thick piece of plastick Renwor

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 7
- 8/1/2000 11:08:00 PM   
Seth

Okay, so this is way off topic, but so what. KP is nowhere near even Italeri, but then again, the kits are cheap, have interesting subjects, and are quite presentable. I once got a Soviet I-16 kit that looked like a mint green dog turd, and had 'decals' that were a sheet of paper (bad, of course) with poorly printed, dull colored markings. Communist consumer goods are just so pathetic. If we woke up to them here in the US tomorrow, there would be uncontrollable rioting for weeks. No looting, though

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 8
- 8/2/2000 12:02:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by renwor: I think I may throw my opinion in, just to confuse Matrix people more about general opinion I really don't care much as far as infantry icons are concerned. For me they are all a bunch of coloured blobs. ( And you thought YOU have a vision problem W.B.) But the armory/ vehicles improved icons I can see and love. Tanks to Warhorse !!! ( ow..thanks of course ) I would like to mention PZ II oversized turret and the russian airplanes. They look like from cheap toystore now. I know Warhorse can do better than that, just look at czech planes now. My 1:72 kits pale in comparision. Ok, I am not that great builder :{ Renwor
Tanks Renwor, I'm reading and taking notes! I'll work on these, did everyone get the redone Soviet T-28, and T-35's?? I'm slowly redoing ALL of the Soviet arsenal, as they were the worst, then work on the others, there are so many icons that don't even exist yet, like the Dutch armored cars, these will arrive, in time. I'm doing all as fast as I can, thanks all for noticing, I really like doing this artwork, replaces my 1/285th micro-armor I used to paint!! Take care all, and keep suggestions, critique coming, I do notice! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 9
- 8/2/2000 2:48:00 AM   
xavier

warhorse, I like very much the new T-35 icon. ------------------ xaal

xaal

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 10
- 8/2/2000 4:18:00 PM   
renwor

Frankly no, I didn't notice T-35 new icons, simply because russian leaders think, they are so nice, that they refuse to send them against me Maybe I'll have to infiltrate the russian command for a while, to take a look. (but maybe I'll wait for new KV-1's and T-60,70 series, so far I see just green moving squares) But I did notice polish 7TP jw/dw and british 20cwt AA gun (with the wheeled suspension), german halftracks, tigers, , kubelwagens :eek!: Ow, that spare wheel in front catches rust, polish it soldier!!! and lots more ... Oh, the german stukas 87g still have Me109 icon in my OOB, but it may be out of date ... Renwor

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 11
- 8/2/2000 4:59:00 PM   
Don

I think the icon Seth is talking about is icon0010.shp where the guy in the back is holding something up, but it's way too short to be a sword. Looks like a stick grenade or baton or something. Whip? Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 12
- 8/2/2000 7:52:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by renwor: Frankly no, I didn't notice T-35 new icons, simply because russian leaders think, they are so nice, that they refuse to send them against me Maybe I'll have to infiltrate the russian command for a while, to take a look. (but maybe I'll wait for new KV-1's and T-60,70 series, so far I see just green moving squares) But I did notice polish 7TP jw/dw and british 20cwt AA gun (with the wheeled suspension), german halftracks, tigers, , kubelwagens :eek!: Ow, that spare wheel in front catches rust, polish it soldier!!! and lots more ... Oh, the german stukas 87g still have Me109 icon in my OOB, but it may be out of date ... Renwor
Oh, BTW, the T-60, T-70. T-40, T-37, all BT's are done too, these must be coming in the patch, I've had them for awhile, so I forget what is current for everyone else! Also, a bus, Australian Sentinal, the British Mk VIc, and a new one for the Besa model, among many others, busy, busy!! And the guy in the rear is holding up a sword, I wish we could have a seperate squad icon for every country, or at least a certain style/color for like uniforms, but alas, this would require a great deal of coding, and many, many more icons;-( ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 13
- 8/3/2000 12:21:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Mike A, aka Warhorse, is one of the very best at graphics anywhere. I love his tanks! And his infantry. The fact that they get mixed up in the game in NO WAY detracts from the detail he puts into them. The tanks, I want to reach into the screen and pick them up I've done scale modeling for nearly 50 years. I remember when plastic was introduced to the modeling community. It was all wood before that My failing eyesight and cataract surgery brought that to a tragic end. In fact, I have over $1000 worth of modeling kits (infantry, armor) cluttering up my wife's closet. Too bad. I loved the hobby. I still have, of course, my favorie dioramas (Scottish Grays, Reno's retreat across the Little Big Horn, and dozens of Nam and Desert Storm ones). I even had a local TV station do a little five minute segment on my dioramas. Such is life. And how in the world did I get here? We tend to do that you, wander off somewhere Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 14
- 8/3/2000 10:53:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Mike A, aka Warhorse, is one of the very best at graphics anywhere. I love his tanks! And his infantry. The fact that they get mixed up in the game in NO WAY detracts from the detail he puts into them. Wild Bill
Help me out here. I've evidently missed all the info on this particular subject. Are these new icons available for download? or are they to be incorporated in ver 3.0? I'm very interested. Greg.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 15
- 8/3/2000 8:46:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Greg McCarty: Help me out here. I've evidently missed all the info on this particular subject. Are these new icons available for download? or are they to be incorporated in ver 3.0? I'm very interested. Greg.
Greg, these will be in the version 3 patch, any done after that will hopefully be posted on one or both of the support sites, I'll need to check with Fabio, and Rick. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 16
- 8/21/2000 10:47:00 AM   
Desert Fox

Well I like what I can actually see of the new graphics. However, because we can't zoom in further, I really am uninterested in how good they are. I like the fact so much effort went into them, but I have to get all too close to the screen to really appreciate the details, and this really ruins it for me. I really would like to see another few zoom levels, hopefully one that would display in a full screen, the same area currently displayed by a quarter of the screen. This is one of my pet peeves with this type of game. Close Combat 2 had a very good close in zoom that allowed you to see just how detailed the units actually were. In CC4, they got rid of this, but they still touted great graphics. I don't consider them all that great since I can't see any details at the best zoom. I think the zoom levels in SP games are pretty damned useless as they currently are. It gets too hard to identify units and even terrain as you zoom out, even if you can see the whole map. I personally leave it at the lowest zoom and fight at that level. Were a much closer zoom to be implemented, I think that I would regularly use the zoom function to appreciate the details, and then zoom back out to command my forces. But anyways, what I can see looks pretty good.

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 17
- 8/21/2000 11:25:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse: Greg, these will be in the version 3 patch, any done after that will hopefully be posted on one or both of the support sites, I'll need to check with Fabio, and Rick.
Outstanding! Thank You, And thank you for your time and effort. Greg.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 18
- 8/21/2000 8:19:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Fox: Well I like what I can actually see of the new graphics. However, because we can't zoom in further, I really am uninterested in how good they are. I like the fact so much effort went into them, but I have to get all too close to the screen to really appreciate the details, and this really ruins it for me. I really would like to see another few zoom levels, hopefully one that would display in a full screen, the same area currently displayed by a quarter of the screen. This is one of my pet peeves with this type of game. Close Combat 2 had a very good close in zoom that allowed you to see just how detailed the units actually were. In CC4, they got rid of this, but they still touted great graphics. I don't consider them all that great since I can't see any details at the best zoom. I think the zoom levels in SP games are pretty damned useless as they currently are. It gets too hard to identify units and even terrain as you zoom out, even if you can see the whole map. I personally leave it at the lowest zoom and fight at that level. Were a much closer zoom to be implemented, I think that I would regularly use the zoom function to appreciate the details, and then zoom back out to command my forces. But anyways, what I can see looks pretty good.
Hello,what size monitor are you using?! I only have a 17" and they seem ok size to me;-) Another level WOULD be nice though!!! Thanks for the input;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 19
- 8/5/2000 6:31:00 AM   
Desert Fox

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse: Hello,what size monitor are you using?! I only have a 17" and they seem ok size to me;-) Another level WOULD be nice though!!! Thanks for the input;-)
I've played the game with 15 and 17 inch monitors, but still, I want another zoom level. Its just too much strain to see the tiniest details.

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 20
- 8/5/2000 11:37:00 AM   
Wild Bill

The amount of work involved in another zoom level is tremendous, or so I am told. With my poor tired eyes, I guess I better look for a 19" on sale I like closeups too, but generally I play zoomed out most of the way, and then zoom in for the hairy battles. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Seth)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Troop icons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI