Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For Liberty VS Birth of America

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> For Liberty VS Birth of America Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/28/2006 2:37:42 AM   
JJB647

Just wondering if anyone has tried out For Liberty and Birth of America. Any comments on either of them?
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/28/2006 11:20:48 PM   
Jakerson

For Liberty is more fun that Birth of America.

Birth of America game system looks like board game conversion that’s why I don’t like it as much as For Liberty with is purely computer game. Graphic is better in BoA but I think there is more content in For Liberty. IMHO

I don’t work any of these companies so my opinion is neutral one I'm just Hardcore war-game hobbyist from Finland. So this is not any type of secret hidden company endorsement.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 12/28/2006 11:31:06 PM >

(in reply to JJB647)
Post #: 2
RE: For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/29/2006 1:41:17 AM   
jimwinsor

I have 'em both, and comparison is real tricky because they are really apple-and-oranges kinda games, depite both being American Revolution themed.

FL has a detailed battle system which is really the heart of the game IMO. The strategic game, while it has a lot of depth, can be considered, really, an adjunct to the tactical game.  It serves to give each of the tactical battles some context.  Of course you can play FL w/o detailed battles, but you are basically throwing out half the game by doing that, IMO, which is thus kinda silly.

BoA, on the other hand, is purely a strategic game.  Battle results are shown to you after the fact on a little report screen, with numbers and little icons telling you what happened.  Players don't make any tactical battle decisions at all...even the computer decides for you if and when you are going to retreat or not.  However...this more limited focus has given the strategic game in BoA more depth than FL, IMO.  Naval units are represented in BoA, for example, whereas in FL naval matters are handled more abstractly.

This difference in focus is neither good nor bad...just different.  Hence you see why I say making hard qualitative judgment calls between the games is problematic.  BOTH are great games IMO, and both succeed in capturing the feel of the period.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 3
RE: For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/29/2006 6:47:45 AM   
JJB647

Thanks.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 4
RE: For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/29/2006 11:21:44 PM   
TheHellPatrol

They're both great in their "own way" and a steal for their prices...i'd suggest getting both.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to JJB647)
Post #: 5
RE: For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/29/2006 11:51:21 PM   
jimwinsor

Oh and I should probably add too...both FL and BoA include as an extra added bonus other games that also look interesting to play: FL a couple of games dealing with Hungarian independance wars, and BoA has a French and Indian War campaign.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 6
RE: For Liberty VS Birth of America - 12/30/2006 6:12:29 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

Oh and I should probably add too...both FL and BoA include as an extra added bonus other games that also look interesting to play: FL a couple of games dealing with Hungarian independance wars, and BoA has a French and Indian War campaign.
Yes, both are full games...well FL/Hungary is a set of campaigns whereas BoA is one big scenario(or 2 iirc).

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> For Liberty VS Birth of America Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI