Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

American tactics, anyone?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America >> American tactics, anyone? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American tactics, anyone? - 2/10/2007 7:08:32 PM   
Joe D.

I've optimized the AI while playing the last full Rev War campaign as America, only America is never going to be because I keep getting my hat handed to me by the Brits, i.e., my armies are decimated during what the game calls "draws" and my generals are dying w/o troops.
I never really challenged the Brits until the French arrived in force, but I'm being out-manouevered and out-manned on almost every turn. The Brits never seem to run out of troops; the only thing keeping me in the game is the JP Jones/French squadrons.
I think I will try again, but as the Brits. But until then, any "colonial" suggestions? Otherwise, I will have to move America to Canada as I hold all its strategic cities!
Post #: 1
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/11/2007 2:20:07 PM   
Will_L_OLD

Are you keeping to the troop limits for your American generals?
*** max 12
** max 4
* max 2
I've found that keeping to this made a huge difference in my battles against British AI. Keeping to a defensive stance has helped also.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 2
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/11/2007 2:53:39 PM   
Joe D.

If irregulars -- rangers, Indians (and supply trains with cannon?) -- don't count and other generals only help and don't hinder (numerically), then I'm keeping to the count and using defensive (terrain bonus) positioning. It's not that I'm losing battles, but I'm getting pyhric draws that deplete my troops.

I notice the (Brit) AI tends to rotate its armies, sometimes sacrificing one army to soften me up and then hit me with another fresh army nearby during the same turn. Maybe I should try splitting my forces?

I'm now playing the Brits: I'm amazed at how many "boots on the ground" they have available shortly into the war; my main problem is finding enough transport to get them to America and into strategic position (cities).

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 3
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 1:01:54 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Sounds like a good one. I am going for it after the French/Indian war. What areas do you control once the game is up? Middle, south or North? Just wondering.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 4
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 2:05:38 AM   
freeboy

Playing level two now, normal, as Us.. I try to take Boston, and attack where ever the Brits leave a city undefended to take territory, currently hold Hartford, Boston NY Ft Tico, lost Albany and will wait out hte rest of 77 in a mostly defensive posture.. run when you have to strike when you can defend most of the time.. I always get that aaahh feeling when the frech fleet arives!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 5
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 11:42:10 AM   
Jim D Burns

Hi Joe,

Here’s a link to an AAR I did as the Continentals where I tried out a new strategy that seemed to be working much better than my past attempts.

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401

Like you I had had my hat handed to me in each previous attempt I made as the Continentals. This go around I played a much more defensive game with some new tactics I had not tried before. There were no hard and fast rules I used that I could easily lay out in this post, but the AAR discusses in depth about what I tried, why I tried it and any changes I made during play.

Of course a new patch came out with lots of great new features so I never finished this particular game, but I think I played close to two years and was doing pretty well (at least compared to my past attempts) by the time I stopped playing.

I hadn’t lost all strategic cities in any one area yet so French intervention hadn’t been delayed at that point, but New England was down to 1 strategic city (Norwich) that was itself under assault when my play stopped, so French intervention was probably going to take at least 1 hit.

Not a perfect strategy by any means, but a lot of detail about my thought process in the AAR that might give you some ideas of your own.

Jim

P.S. Everything counts on command usage, so supply wagons and artillery will put you over the top easily if you're not careful.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 6
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 12:05:45 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns
P.S. Everything counts on command usage, so supply wagons and artillery will put you over the top easily if you're not careful.

I think supply wagons do not count anymore in command usage since update 1.10. IIRC,they did a lot of tweakings with supplies in this patch.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 7
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 7:27:32 PM   
Joe D.

Titan, the (last) Rev War scenario set-up seems historically accurate, i.e., the Brits in Boston with holdings in Canada and the deep South.

Playing the Brits, midway thru the game I captured all the strategic cities, only to have France and Spain enter the war and start retaking them from me. My combined fleet also took a pounding from the French and is now licking its wounds in port.

If this keeps up, I should eventually lose, which at least proves the historical veracity of the engine for this game.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 8
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 7:30:10 PM   
Joe D.

For the record I have the 1.10d patch (courtesy of Strategy First). I understand there's an "e," but there may be bugs in it.

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 9
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 7:35:33 PM   
Pocus

the last patch is the 'f' one and has no known bugs so far:

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/BoA_patch1.10.exe

(all 1.10 patches are save-compatible)

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 10
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 7:56:00 PM   
Joe D.

Jim,

Thanks for the AAR, but as you never finished your game, we will never know if this strategy ultimately worked (score-wise) in BoA.

However, I did find Pocus' -- BoA lead developer -- comments informative re your screenshots.

We need to find someone who played the Colonials and won and just ask him/her for an overall strategy in lieu of a play-by-play as dice rolls (luck) seem pivotal in BoA battles.

Nathaniel Greene once said something to the effect that as long as he could move as a crab -- any which way -- he would survive and eventually win. Maybe I need to sacrifice the Colonial supply wagons and cannon for more speed, but then George and the boys will take supply hits, esp. in the wilderness in winter. Bhhrrrr.

Anyway, I'm going to play this Brit scenario out and see what develops. If I start to run-out of red coats in the latter half of the game, them -- as the Colonials -- I should simply bide my time and try to blitz the strategic sites.

Then again, seige warfare doesn't get you results overnight!

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 11
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 8:03:59 PM   
Joe D.

Merci Monsiour Malacher. But I assume you can't repatch in mid game, n'est pas?

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 12
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 9:55:57 PM   
Arsan

Hi
Joe D::
Yes, you can. As Pocus said, the patches are save compatible (you patch and then can continue with the saved game).

I´m just beginning my first 1775 campaing with the americans, so this thread is a must read for me.
I´m playing with the 1.10 f and the British are very agressive. I retreated to the springfield and Hartford line and waited behind the river in defense. After the first two "inactive turns" the British AI spread from Boston in all directions, passing by my main armies and loosing a couple of redcoat regiments in small fights.
Now, in october 1775 they have Howe in Norwich, Gage siegeing New York, a couple or regulars regiments knocking on Philadelpiha's door, Clinton up to Falmouth and Grant being bloodily repulsed from his atempt at Albany.
All are small armies (2 or 3 "dots") and New england is lightly defended so i think i can give a bloody nose to some isolated units, if i can catch them (they move like crazy...). Til now we havent had any big fight and i hadn't lost hardly any men...
The Ai behavior has surprised me. I thought that, as the rebels, i was going the one to using hit and run tactics...
Now i dont know what to do... go on the offense or try to conserve my strength for the future problems (german mercenaries...)??

I played this scenario before as the British and used much more cautious tactics, garrisoning New England and moving my big army carefully until the germans arrived. I mauled the Continental army a couple of times around Providence and i think they never recovered.
If you dont completely lose many units, with the massive reinforcements you recieve from england you can have a big advantage in soldiers in 1776-1777.
I won the game in october 1777, before the french could arrive.
And...
I have a question for Pocus!. Maybe its a little bug...
Playing as the american, i lost Charleston after a short siege (just have half a militia regiment fixed as garrison there from the begining).
After the AI took the city (septembre 1975), a rebel army popped just outside the walls (Moultrie, two milita regiments and a big naval battery. Next turn they assaulted and taked the city back but... now, the naval battery is fixed outside the walls, sitting in the swamp, and cant be moved inside the Charleston fort or anywhere.
It´s this working as designed?? The unit is named Charleston battery, so i suppose they are intended to be used inside the fort, "pointing" to the sea... Maybe they should have been in Charleston since the begining??

Cheers!
Arsan

< Message edited by Arsan -- 2/12/2007 10:11:19 PM >

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 13
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 10:45:03 PM   
freeboy

Hi Pocus, any idea why my game loads an shows a 1.11, I thought it would be 1.10?

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 14
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 10:53:38 PM   
Arsan

With 1.10f mine too shows 1.11, but its ok!
I think Pocus said in the AGEOD forums it was a little mistake...

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 15
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/12/2007 10:59:11 PM   
saintsup

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

We need to find someone who played the Colonials and won and just ask him/her for an overall strategy

I need to find that someone too. I'm playing a PBEM and without doing any evident mistakes (AFAIK) I'm way behind in score ...

Or the score system is broken ...

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 16
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 5:25:16 AM   
Joe D.

Well, after I thought I was through (as the Brits) and that history would again repeat itself, I marshalled my forces and sent both the French and Spanish packing; I ended-up with all the strategic cities and towns and a score of about 3500 (to 1200). Not a very historical ending after all.

Apparently what happened as I was playing the Brits was basically the same thing when I was playing the Colonials; GW and company gets a big boost after the French and Spanish enter the fray, but neither of them holds-up well after successive Brit counter-attacks, and the redcoats eventually take everything back. There are just too many Brit troops to win scenario #8 as the Colonials.

One wild card: mid-way through the game, I patched-up to 1.10f (aka 1.11), but I don't think that the upgrade had anything to do with the outcome, although the game seemed to swing in my favor soon after the new patch. Perhaps it was coincidental, but to be more scientific, I should have played through the game before patching-up.

By the way, the Battle Meter is back with v1.10f, and it's better than ever.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 17
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 9:44:21 AM   
Philthib

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan
I have a question for Pocus!. Maybe its a little bug...
Playing as the american, i lost Charleston after a short siege (just have half a militia regiment fixed as garrison there from the begining).
After the AI took the city (septembre 1975), a rebel army popped just outside the walls (Moultrie, two milita regiments and a big naval battery. Next turn they assaulted and taked the city back but... now, the naval battery is fixed outside the walls, sitting in the swamp, and cant be moved inside the Charleston fort or anywhere.
It´s this working as designed?? The unit is named Charleston battery, so i suppose they are intended to be used inside the fort, "pointing" to the sea... Maybe they should have been in Charleston since the begining??

It's not a "bug" but the consequence of the AI being faster and smarter than me: it captured Charleston quicklier than I believed possible and the force under Moultrie (which is scheduled to arrive within the city by scripted event) was ejected outside the 'enemy' city....the battery is thus locked outside (whereas it should have been locked inside).

I'll try to see ways to correct this: there are a few possibilities

- beef up a bit the original garrison to withstand a siege long enough for Moultrie to show up
- lock the neigbouring Tories a bit longer to prevent a hit and run siege on Charleston
- Have Moultrie and his forces show up a bit earlier, but keep them lock for the 1775 year

All possibilities could solve the matter, but there are pros and cons in each. What's your opinion?

Support Independent Developers

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 18
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 10:39:55 AM   
Arsan

Hi Philipe!
I think the problem is you have made the AI too smart!
I forgot to mention that She (because the Ai is a she isn´t it??) bring Howe fleet all the way from Boston and in turn 3-4 was bombarding my poor half regiment of milita in Charleston.
As in the beggining there is no battery in Charleston the garrison was easy picking for the ships.
I think this speed up the siege a lot, and with only one tory regiment, the british could assault the fort with success.
Maybe fixing Moultrie (or at least the guns) in Charleston since the begining is a good idea. The americans don´t lose Charleston (until Cornwalis arrive i suppose), but cant attack in the south.

Anyway, congratulations! Few games have problems becaus teh AI is too bright!

Cheers
Arsan

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 19
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 12:34:20 PM   
Gibbon

Hi there,

Here are some tips from Markshots I founf really usefull in my games against the AI:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Markshot

I will share a few of my thoughts. Admittedly I have only played one GC, but I did win.

You can win in two ways:

(1) On points - Points come from holding on to strategic towns and objectives each turn, and winning battles.

(2) Capitulation of the enemy - Capitulation comes about by reaching all your goals before the end of the scenario.

Destroying the enemy's ability to fight will advance you down both of the above paths. There are two means by which you can destroy his ability to fight:

(1) Weaken his units such that they are in no position to engage your units. Weakening his units comes about by:

(a) Winning battles, but not being able to corner him.

(b) Laying siege to his units and cutting off supply, but not concluding the siege.

(c) Having him lay siege to your fortifications, during the Winter months.

(d) Leaving him no place to retire during the Winter months.

(e) Removing his sources reinforcements and replacements.

(f) Capturing his supplies.

(2) Destroy his units such that he has no force with which to engage you. This comes about by:

(a) Winning a siege, such that the enemy surrenders.

(b) Conducting a successful assault such that the enemy is destroyed.

(c) Engaging the enemy in a region such that enemy has no avenue of retreat. The region should be surrounded by regions which you control (all adjacent regions) or has his back to the an impassable body of water.

Here are some strategies which you can employ.

(1) Where the enemy is weak, fight.

There are many opportunities to attack weak enemy garrisons. Do not lay siege and give him time send a relief force, but instead strike with overwhelming force and destroy the garrison. Make sure as you strike that it is not a trap. Have a retreat path and consider having a leader who is capable of retreating. You can use stealthy units to gather information about the enemy. So, these targets of opportunity should not be deep in enemy territory, but preferably within your territory or on the periphery.

(2) Where the enemy is strong, withdraw.

Do not meet strength with strength; run away, you are not looking for a fair fight. Withdraw into your territory. Behind you, you should have a network of garrisons. This should slow his pursuit and keep you safe. The deeper he moves into your territory the more vulnerable he becomes if you should choose to turn and fight a decisive battle. In his territory, he can retreat if the odds do not favor him. In your territory, he may well be trapped. Except for the extreme South, Winter generally brings a halt to operations. Thus, if you can defer battle long enough, Winter will general ring the bell calling an end to the current round.

(3) Where the enemy is of moderate stength, mass and strike a decisive blow.

When he has divided his forces and sends moderate force to engage you, rapidly bring your commanders and units together to form a powerful army. Engage him with this powerful army and destroy him. Make sure the regions around him are in your control before the battle. If a couple are not, then send a small fast force to secure them or march the main strike force through them first.

How do you know that he has divided his forces besides recon? Structures will reveal the large stacks of units within. Also, perhaps he is tied up with sieges at various locations.

Another time to strike with a decisive blow is when he chooses to lay siege to your fortifications, for it is at that moment that you can generally be sure of his location and intentions. So, enemy sieges are not necessarily bad things, they present opportunities if correctly managed.

If the enemy is foolish enough to lay siege in the Winter, then let him. He will weaken through the Winter while your forces refit in shelter. When the Spring comes, resume operations against his sickened units.

(4) Generally, keep lone units in structures. If outside of structures, they are too likely to yield territory easily to the enemy. The main purpose of doing this is to limit the enemy's mobility. He cannot march and leave your fortifications in his rear. Consider holding such positions a long key road junctures that allow rapid movement.

(5) Winter is your friend. Whenever possible, try to encourage the enemy to brave it.

(6) Use your leaders well. Don't neglect them. Forces move quicker with them. Leaders convey different bonuses. For example, a training officer with a large force will vastly improve that force over the years. Every time new militias are raised or supplies are assembled, allocate some leaders to rapidly move individual units or supplies and form new armies. In other words, have the leader collect the units. (Leaders on their own move very fast.) This is much faster than having the units move to the leaders.

(7) Defend best your built up and civilized areas. You will need these areas to recruit and to assemble armies. If you have to reliquish some control to the enemy, than let him advance and march through the wilderness. It will be very slow going for him, supplies will be limited, and their is always the risk of being caught by the Winter.

---

Well, the above are just some initial thoughts which have had after my first GC. Probably obvious to everyone who has been playing for a while now.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 20
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 12:37:35 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot
My initial thoughts on stealthy units is:

- Use them in wilderness-mountains/woods where there are no structures. They should effectively become invisible. Units in regions with structures are always visible no matter how stealthy they are.

- Use them to ambush the enemy trying to move up reinforcements.

- Use them on the periphery of your control to see what the enemy is up to.

< Message edited by Gibbon -- 2/13/2007 12:50:52 PM >

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 21
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 12:38:44 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot
I just started playing the 1775 GC from the British side; I am little past a year into the struggle. An interesting change from the American side:

- No territorial control of the high value areas.
- Largely blind due to lack of popular support; really need to use your irregulars and cav scouts to sea (also the fleet is good recon too).
- Fewer leaders and half the time, they are in no mood to follow orders.
- Ah, G_d bless his Majesty's Fleet. It makes up for some of the above in terms of mobility and fire support.

It will be interesting to see how the conflict progresses. One thing as the Americans which was tiresome was the constant disbanding of militia at the end of year making your forces evaporate and then having to round up your armies again. Perhaps, in command of the British, there will be much less of that.

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 22
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 12:50:35 PM   
Gibbon

More tips, by [FS]Feltan:

quote:

Just finished first campaignas the Americans, 1775 all the way through.

1. Game ran well

2. I won rather easily by points (over 1700 more points than the Brits). In the end, the Brits held Quebec, Ft. Detroit and Norfolk -- the latter they grabbed on the last couple turns of the game when my militia there disbanded in Jan of 1783.

3. The French intervention turns the tide...no doubt about it. The "big" battle of the game was the French fleet catching some unescorted British transports and destroying what was the largest British Army on the continent. I landed the French in the vicinity of Danbury, and marched them to New York and captured that back from the Brits, then the French marched up the Hudson and finally captured Montreal. The hike to Quebec turned out to be a bit too much, and I was never able to effect a decent seige of that fortress.

4. Washington and the main Continental army never left New England. They kept the New York-to-Boston axis open and clobbered several smaller British incursions.

5. Hint: in the early part of the game as the American do yourself a favor....burn every Indian villiage you can!

6. The AI played generally well, but I noted one thing that probably needs to be looked at: the Brit AI never took forces to winter quarters until the snow was already waist deep. I saw a couple of British stacks disappear -- and I assume it was due to weather. You learn really quick that in about September/October, you better be in or close to some sort of structure.

7. Why can troops that are in a fort still entrench? Is there any value to doing so?

8. Hint: it is a game of posts and pitched battle. Do not underestimate the value of a single militia regiment entrenched within a city. The AI will almost always lay seige, and you can slow down/stop a much larger force if you play your cards smart. Also, as noted above, the Brit AI will continue to seige while the snows start -- and I am quite sure that I killed many many more Brits on the outskirts of cities due to weather than they killed by laying seige.

9. Hint: as the American simply retreat when the British advance into an area, and attack when they abandon (or reduce forces) in an area. Do not go head-to-head with large British stacks: 1) there is no need to, and 2) you will lose. Be willing to lose any city for a period of time.

I am going to download the patch and give it a try as the Brits now.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 23
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 12:56:31 PM   
Gibbon

And here is my last source (note that it was under v1.06 and that the AI has kept improving):

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dinsdale

Run. Run. Keep running.

At least until 78.

I've been able to win on hard, but I suspect that's about to change with 1.06.

The key to the game is getting French and Spanish help as quickly as possible. That means that you need to try and maintain 1 or more strategic cities in each Region. If the British have an entire region, it's 15% less chance of French intervention. Letting the British get 2 regions may be irreversibly fatal.

I leave the Deep South to it's fate. Only options are to siege outlying positions and try and prevent the British from having every city. Even with Cornwallis and a few reinforcements, they don't have enough men to adequately garrison everywhere. Provided you don't get caught by Tarleton or other roving bands, you can usually win a city back, and force the British to find another regular unit to garrison it with (that all takes them time, and you'll be somewhere else doing the same.

Having said that, my current game saw Cornwallis land in New York. The Deep South is entirely mine, and the north is a death trap, so your mileage may vary.

The South Central tend to be quiet in my games until late. There are too many cities for the British to do anything about you, and they tend to not have enough troops to take more than a couple anyway, provided you keep Howe and the Germans up north.

Middle States
I used to work near Morristown and visited the Contintental site several times. Until playing though, I often wondered what the hell Washington was doing out there The British tend to march through, so I find Easton to be a perfect depot site and place to keep the army intact. From there you can hit detachments trying to take Wyoming, retake Phillie+Manhattan, and run back to Easton. You can tie 2 British armies up in this region if you're lucky.

North New England and Canada
For me, the key to every campaign in the game is Albany. If you can hold Albany then the British have logistical problems, can't ever unite Burgoyne with the Germans or Howe/Clinton, and can't move out of New England. That keeps South Central safe, and allows Washington to maneuver the Middle States.

Albany is well protected, if you hold Dayton, then the British can't use it for supply. Holding (and retaking whenever empty) Battlebro and Pittsfield will prevent the New England force from being able to walk in. With it's depot and horrendously short campaign season, Albany should never fall.

After Albany, I try and hold Norwich. It's a nightmare for the British to take, and when they move their army north, you can send some raids south into Southern New England:

I don't know if there's a rule, but it seems that Boston triggers many more colonial militias and Continentals to form. If the British army is off hunting you in the Middle States, and stalled in the North, then a capable force can retake Boston, Newport and Hartford. The British tend to react angrily to these moves, so be prepared to run, and don't disperse. Better to abandon every city but Boston than garrison and allow the Brits to siege you one by one.

Provided you avoid battle, don't get unlucky and run into 20,000 Germans, and prevent the Brits from holding a region, by 78 or 79 you'll be strong enough to start threatening them and fighting pitched battles. When the French arrive, it's fairly straightforward to maneuver and fight, or better still, trap the British in sieges. You still need to be careful as British quality will still see off all but much larger American armies.

Other things I do:

Depots:
When you are going on the offensive, then it's faster than lugging supply wagons around with every army. A select few can supply the whole of New England and Virginia.

Leaders:
After the yearly disbands, send plenty of 1 star leaders off to likely recruiting centres. A regiment suffers a 50% penalty without an officer, and they tend to arrive in clumps. Campaigning season is short, and you need to concentrate those forces as quickly as possible.

Washington:
GW is a skirmisher, but if his forces outnumber a British army, he'll fight it even if the quality differential results in the complete destruction of your army. Don't group too many units under his command, and he'll instead look to retreat from every battle, typically with no loss. I lost a game very early when GW stood and fought. Our "victory" destroyed the entire army and barely scratched the Brits.

Indians:
They can be a pain in the ass, and sometimes supplement small British regulars. Although it's a brutal tactic, I try and exterminate them from the outset. Morgan's rifles, or Marblehead are good independent leaders and their 1 unit is generally enough to assault any Indian village. After you burn it to the ground, they don't come back next year.

West Point/Manhattan
I don't like tying up precious artillery in a fort, so I don't tend to make one. I've been able to defend the Hudson with hit and run sieges after the Brits move on. But, this might be impacted by 1.06. If the British are more efficient at rolling up 1 unit defended towns, then it may be necessary to fortify and hold with a garrison. WP is harder to take logistically, though Manhattan is surrounded by empty areas and is also a challenge. It will be interesting to see how these areas are handled with the new patch

Charisma
One of the goals is to gain more units each year. That can be accelerated by not suffering disbandments, charasmatic leaders can help keep the army together, thus grow faster with the next season's recruitment. Washington and Arnold are good for the large armies, but don't neglect small detachments. Try to get all your charasmatic leaders employed somewhere. Keeping an extra 2-3 regiments per year may not seem like much, but by '80 it makes your force overwhelming.

Leaders
Pulaski should go wherever the cavalry is, Kosciusko whereever you want to siege (or hold.) Sad irony, that two of the most congested stretches of road on earth are named after these fellows

Use other leaders where their attributes help. After playing the British for a while, it's nice to have decent leaders, and they can make a small but significant contribution. Fast Mover is very useful, especially for ferrying troops or supplies between armies. It only takes 1 fast mover to get the bonus, so lump them with larger forces when needed.

Command Limit
More than anything else, once I started to pay attention to command limit I had success. Everything from speed of movement to combat is affected. I'd rather have fewer troops than exceed the command limit. With American leaders there should be no excuse to let any group exceed command for too long. Much more a problem with the British, as it forces people like Burgoyne and his slow moving subordinate on you for the entire game!

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 24
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 1:11:04 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ardie

Woah! Excellent post, Dinsdale!!

I agree with you on most points. I tend to form the regional departments and assign leaders, regiments and supply by priorities/needs. So far New England and Georgia & Carolinas are the most urgent ones.

One of my strategies is to take out Norfolk, VA as quickly as possible in order to deny British landing there.

Yes, Albany is the key for the survival in New England. Losing Albany hurts more than losing NYC. I tend to take Ticonderoga to trigger the Canadian regimental uppgrade and to protect Knox's guns but I dare not to venture further north.

I've mostly tried to keep Charleston, SC garrisoned but if Cornwallis tries open southern front I'm thinking about abandoning it and hold Camden/ Charlotte instead. This should be easier if the tories in Norfolk are eliminated.

A good point on Washy. I have seemed to handle him well as I try to "grow" a solid experienced core group of regular regiments with him. Too bad that I seem to get unlucky and lose several regulars come January even with Charismatic leaders commanding them. Usually the 1st Dragoons.

I usually leave the Indians alone, they otherwise provide really good scouts for the enemy. The Brits could really use them.

Still some very good tips, Thanks!

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 25
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 1:14:10 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dinsdale
That's the beauty of the 75 campaign, each theatre has an affect on the next, and within each theatre, each town affects the next. There's a series of old boardgames, with a smaller scale, which plays very similarly: Avalon Hill's Struggle Of Nations, and the 1814 and 1815 campaigns. There might even be one for Italy 1796. All about maneuver and threats, rather than a series of battles.

-----

Quote:
One of my strategies is to take out Norfolk, VA as quickly as possible in order to deny British landing there.

I never seem to have enough units to hold Norfolk, though I imagine games are shaped by the towns you hold: thus where reinfocements and the new intake of regiments appear.

Quote:
Yes, Albany is the key for the survival in New England. Losing Albany hurts more than losing NYC. I tend to take Ticonderoga to trigger the Canadian regimental uppgrade and to protect Knox's guns but I dare not to venture further north.

Agree. One thing I forgot to write, was not to invade Canada. It's not worth the losses, and it's impossible to face Burgoyne when he arrives and hold anything.

Quote:
I've mostly tried to keep Charleston, SC garrisoned but if Cornwallis tries open southern front I'm thinking about abandoning it and hold Camden/ Charlotte instead. This should be easier if the tories in Norfolk are eliminated.

The bastard usually lands at Charleston when I play. Though the last one, he never made it to the South. Charleston seems like a great place to hold as 2-3 regiments show up there each year, instead of having them scattered all over the place.

Quote:
Still some very good tips, Thanks!

You're welcome! But, after playing a little 1.06 over the weekend, I think many of them are now invalid.

I had my ass handed to me on hard. The British assaulted and destroyed a significant force in Albany, took Stanwick and Dayton Forts, and crushed Washington in New Jersey. They managed to combine Burgoyne with the New England force and march south. Fortunately I crushed Cornwallis, otherwise almost the entire British army would have been flooding south into Virginia, and I had just enough men to keep Clinton and the Germans distracted.

At one point, the northern "front" was Washington, and a bunch of refugees in the wilderness outside Wilkes-Barre. Eventually the French, and moving reinforcements up from the South each year helped retake parts of the North, but the game ended in a virtual points tie.

I've never really assaulted forts before, but watching the British make mincemeat of them all, and ordering a successful assault on the West Indies, I'm wondering if Jagger is correct in http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682 that forts may be a little underpowered. I did fortify West Point, it held against a 4 regiment attack, and Pittsburgh held off a similar sized force, but any large army was able to take a fort without much in the way of losses.

Perhaps there needs to be a cap on the number of regiments which can take part in any assault. But on the other hand, during the Peninsular War, Almeida, Ciudad Rodrigo, Badajoz and San Sebastian all fell very quickly, and would probably be considered level 2 or level 3 forts in the game context. I would prefer the assaulting force to at least take more losses though.

Another thing I noticed was a much more aggresive British AI towards any armies they located. They would break off sieges and ignore towns if they had a crack at hitting any significant formation.

I played about 18 months on 1.05, but I think that starting the game on 1.06 would have resulted in a British win. It's a breath of fresh air to face an AI which plays such a strong game.

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 26
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 1:19:00 PM   
Gibbon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jhdeersmayer
Yea I noticed the 1.06 AI seems to bring a wave of death down upon my poor Rebels. Though I hold Boston for a few years after the French retook it, it proceeded to capture everything in NE and then proceeded towards Phily and hammered everything there after I updated to 1.06. There was no stopping it. The AI eventually formed a Death Star stack and I stayed away. Best I could do was double back and take some NE back which I did. The AI then gave up on heading further south and now chasing me around in NE again.

Staying in one region longer than one turn is a kiss of death as the AI heads right at you it seems. Especially if you are in a strategic city. Forgot holding out in a fort. Run like hell. I already had Washy's army get slaughtered once because I stayed in one place too long.

Seems you have to just get out of the way and then hit it where it is not. There are lots of lone Brit units around and you can even catch some artillery/supply on occasion.

You have to watch as sometime the Death Star will jump five regions and pounce on you and Washy. Goes to my Washy stack like flies on ....

But all this is allowing my other army to retake the south in 1782. Capturing endless supply (need a way to destroy it please!) Spanish got totally wiped out though as I got a little cocky with them and that damn AI took New Orleans and all of Florida back. The AI is irritating in a good way!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ardie
Ok. I do call the AI now as "evil bitch", the mean-spirited, crony mother-in-law of all bad karma

The forts are meant to be as a strongpoint and/or to significantly slow the enemy down. So far as I just installed 1.06 I've had no fort sieges but the AI (forever cursed she must be) takes towns in 2 turns. I have to change my strategy again!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackbellamy

Quote:
Agree. One thing I forgot to write, was not to invade Canada. It's not worth the losses, and it's impossible to face Burgoyne when he arrives and hold anything.

Who wants to hold anything ? Burn it all to the ground and get the hell out.

First thing I do any 75 campaign - send Arnold and all Albany reinforcements straight to Montreal, storm the place, burn down the Depot, exterminate the Indian village, destroy every fort in the nearby regions, then march back south to Albany, throw a big party for the loyal and erstwhile commander, then send him down South so his charismatic ass can rally the militia. Meanwhile, a smaller force takes Oswego, heads down to Ft. Niagra to show the lobsterbacks what time it is, then marches back to Albany for the grand reunion, burning down anything that can be burned in between.

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 27
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 1:23:17 PM   
Gibbon

All of these posts and discussions have been paste-and-copy from the AGEOD forum (http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9). I hope AGEOD won't mind, I thought they were quite appropriate.

They were written by respected members of the community, I tried to credit everyone.

I hope this helps. It could be a nice idea to compile them in a kinf of BoA tactical handbook.

McClellan asked, "What troops are those fighting in the Pike?"
Hooker replied, "[Brigadier] General Gibbon's brigade of Western men."
McClellan stated, "They must be made of iron."

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 28
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 4:18:40 PM   
Joe D.

Thank you! I've made GW's army too powerful and he's losing troops and leaders I can't replace. Smaller, more mobile units must be the answer, but somehow you still have to hold or retake enough strategic cities to make it count. Challenging, to say the least.

That said, has anyone played against an enhanced -- more time to think -- AI and won as the Colonials?

After all, the game is called Birth of America, but everytime I play the Colonials, the title becomes still-born!

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 29
RE: American tactics, anyone? - 2/13/2007 5:01:16 PM   
MarkShot

Got to be careful with the Internet ... it looks like anything you ever write will forever be available and eventual found by someone!

Oh well, with that realization in front of me ... I don't think I am going to announce my intentions to run for President this year. :)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America >> American tactics, anyone? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI