Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Quiz Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:09:22 PM   
pauk

in the internet era such questions are easy to answer but what the hell? it is still funny...

Marianns are named after...?

Post #: 1
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:43:23 PM   
jwilkerson

From WIKIPEDIA ...

In 1668 the islands were renamed by Padre Diego Luis de Sanvitores to Las Marianas after Mariana of Austria, widow of Spain's Philip IV.

But now the mystery is ... why is this funny !??

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 2
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:45:31 PM   
pauk

correct!

it is funny because you now know one intersting, but useless fact!

ok, here is another, easy one;

Iwo Jima means.......... in Japanese....

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:50:42 PM   
Vetamur

Sulpher Island.

PS Most Japanese under 40 have never heard of it.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 4
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:50:56 PM   
Mike Scholl

I believe it's "Sulpher Island"

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 5
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:52:54 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vetamur

Sulpher Island.

Most Japanese under 40 have heard a verssion of the Second World War that no-one else would even reccognize.

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 6
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:58:30 PM   
Icedawg

The cutie from Giligan's Island?

Personally, I would have called them the Ginger Islands.

Or better yet, name them after the woman who posed for marky's avatar.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 7
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 8:59:58 PM   
Vetamur

Yeah..I live here. Well..there. Whatever.  I mentioned this in another thread, but at the end of Flags of Our Fathers a Japanese girl behind me asked her friend "Was that a TRUE story??" and her friend answered "Uhm..I THINK so..".

Ive already done a rant on the subject elsewhere, but the war is a topic Japan hasnt found a way to deal with and its so dominated by the political extremes its difficult for them to develop a mature handle on how to digest it.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 8
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 9:22:35 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

Sulpher Island.

I think that goes for more of the world than just Japan.
Ask almost anybody in the world under 40 about Midway, Stalingrad, Crete, Taranto, Cavite, Bataan, Pearl Harbor, Willow Run, Oak Ridge, St Lo, Aachen, Minsk, Dresden, Guadalcanal, IoShima..
Not only can they not relate these places to WW2, I suspect less than 5% could find ANY of them on a map.
(Current forum members excluded, we are historians by choice, but some of us might have problem with a couple of them.)
I'm sure I would have problems with places I was never told about.
Therein lies the rub........

< Message edited by m10bob -- 3/1/2007 9:42:09 PM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 9
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 9:36:43 PM   
Vetamur

Ah. But see.. the key difference is.. if you were Italian, I bet you could find Taranto. I bet most French could find St. Lo.  Technically, Io (Iwo is a bad transliteration actually..) Jim is part of Tokyo.  Technically.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 10
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 9:42:00 PM   
pauk

quote:

Sulpher Island.

that was quick!

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 11
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 9:49:20 PM   
pauk

Ok, this should be really easy one

Who was commander of Combined fleet killed '44 in aircraft?

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 12
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 10:04:44 PM   
mlees

quote:

Who was commander of Combined fleet killed '44 in aircraft?

Mineichi Koga?

I am not sure if this is the guy who came up with the plan for what became the Battle of the Phillippine Sea...

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 13
RE: Quiz - 3/1/2007 10:32:18 PM   
pauk

no one bought this trick!

Yes it was Koga....

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 14
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 2:00:25 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

correct!

it is funny because you now know one intersting, but useless fact!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 15
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 2:39:15 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Yeah..I live here. Well..there. Whatever. I mentioned this in another thread, but at the end of Flags of Our Fathers a Japanese girl behind me asked her friend "Was that a TRUE story??" and her friend answered "Uhm..I THINK so..".

Ive already done a rant on the subject elsewhere, but the war is a topic Japan hasnt found a way to deal with and its so dominated by the political extremes its difficult for them to develop a mature handle on how to digest it.

Of course a lot of Americans would wonder if it's a true story too. The majority of Americans still can't find Afghanistan or Iraq on a map, even after 4 years of war.

From what I've heard about Japan. The Japanese were very humbled after WW II, but when their economic star began to shine in the late 60s and early 70s, the revisionist historians began to tinker with the history to make their role in WW II look better.

Bill

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 16
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 5:36:40 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Yeah..I live here. Well..there. Whatever. I mentioned this in another thread, but at the end of Flags of Our Fathers a Japanese girl behind me asked her friend "Was that a TRUE story??" and her friend answered "Uhm..I THINK so..".

Of course a lot of Americans would wonder if it's a true story too. The majority of Americans still can't find Afghanistan or Iraq on a map, even after 4 years of war.

From what I've heard about Japan. The Japanese were very humbled after WW II, but when their economic star began to shine in the late 60s and early 70s, the revisionist historians began to tinker with the history to make their role in WW II look better.

Bill

I have heard the first part, but haven't heard much about revisionist history becoming mainstream. No doubt there are those that would rewrite it though.

I recall reading a study recently about Japanese youth, unfortunately I don't recal the source, so take it for what it's worth - I recall feeling it was credible. The study indicated a lot of the self-loathing and alienation that many Japanese youth feel has its origins in a sort of collective guilt over WWII. It went so far as to say that a fair number felt the bomb was justified. I'm not endorsing those feelings, simply stating what i recall the study saying.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 17
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 6:12:27 AM   
bradfordkay

"it is funny because you now know one intersting, but useless fact!"

When my dad was in college, one of his history professors accused him of hoarding more "useless knowledge" on the American Civil War than anybody the prof knew. However, dad turned it into a career- he joined the US National Park Service and ended up running their "living history" training programs... All his knowledge of ridiculous minutae (like the exact location of lapel buttons on the 47th NY Volunteer Regiment's uniforms) put him in the position to teach all the other historians in the park service.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 18
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 6:30:14 AM   
marky

What destroyer of the USN became famous for throwing potatoes at a jao sub?

< Message edited by marky -- 3/2/2007 6:45:53 AM >

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 19
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 7:42:32 AM   
Vetamur

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Bill

I have heard the first part, but haven't heard much about revisionist history becoming mainstream. No doubt there are those that would rewrite it though.

I recall reading a study recently about Japanese youth, unfortunately I don't recal the source, so take it for what it's worth - I recall feeling it was credible. The study indicated a lot of the self-loathing and alienation that many Japanese youth feel has its origins in a sort of collective guilt over WWII. It went so far as to say that a fair number felt the bomb was justified. I'm not endorsing those feelings, simply stating what i recall the study saying.

Ok, Im at risk of hijacking the thread, but I will give some input on my take having spent the past 11 years here and being an anthropologist by trade (bit of a simplification but..anyway).

At the end of WWII the Japanese were very humbled. They gave themselves over to whatever the victors wanted to an astonishing degree. And this has had a strong, lasting, permanent effect. Most Japanese have an inferiority complex towards the West to some degree, and in particular America. Traditional Japanese things are not seen as "cool", they are seen as oddities, curiosities. With a few exceptions, this holds true to this day.

With regard to "the war".. as I noted earlier, the views have been polarized. The result is that the great majority simply "ignore" it. Ignore isnt quite the word..but its an embarrassment. There is not a sense of "guilt" in the normal sense. And it would be difficult to have that sense of guilt, because Japan 2007 in almost no way resembles the Japan of 1945. The culture does not have the same values. The thinking style is not the same. A person raised in Japan today can barely comprehend that his or her country invaded other countries, killed millions, was a strong military power even. This is a country that was 90% against sending 500 peacekeepers to souther Iraq, and about 6 years ago wouldnt let its coastal forces fire at a North Korean boat smuggling in its waters that refused to stop. The general population repeats almost like a mantra "war is bad", without thought.. the worst thing imaginable for them today is war.

In addition to this factor is the education system. It has been well publisized that Japanese history books are somewhat less than frank when dealing with the war. What is less well known is that it almost doesnt matter because its not getting taught anyway. High school students study to get into university. They study only what they know will be covered by entrance exams, which is never WWII. The topic gets skimmed over at best.

The other side of this, is the tiny right wing faction that has somewhat disproporitonate power but almost always behind the scenes. There are two types. One is the type that didnt buy into the wholesale postwar change. They dont buy that Japan was totally in the wrong and lament some of the change in their country. They see the feminization of their men, they see the weakness of their youth, the lack of anything to believe in and despair. unfortunately they also too often dont think there was much wrong with the war time Japan, and dont seem to have any remorse. This group is often associate the the more right wing militants. A tiny fraction of people who want the emperor restored to power etc. These two groups, acting behind the scenes, are the ones who manage to occasionally make Japan look bad by approving a text book that is a farce or whatever. They dont speak for the mainstream.

What is lacking in Japan is a process to reconcile their past with the present. They need to be able to say "We did something wrong" without it meaning "We are bad people". At present they dont. If they believe the war is wrong, they think they as a nation ARE wrong or inferior. People who dont want to think they are inferior, get drawn into the "Well then the war wasnt wrong either!" camp. Thus a nation unable to face its recent history, and that has given over too much of its culture in order to change.

A final note on this..some people say that "only the surface" has changed in Japan..but if you look deeper the old Japan is still there. These people are mostly lying to themselves and searching for something in Japan that is lacking in themselves. The old Japan is here but you have to look for it and its not prevalent, its only in certain circles. My friend does "iado"..kendo with real swords basically.. that small circle of people is more "conservative" than mainstream. In Setagaya there is a shrine that once a month does ceremonies for former Tokko ("kamikaze") members.. that group is old school as well. But there is no denying, in my opinion, that todays Japan has almost no way to identify with the Japan of that time.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 20
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 9:02:14 AM   
pauk

thanks for the input!

I think this is very good and sound analyzis...

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 21
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 9:04:47 AM   
TheElf

Vetamur,
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing. I have a similar anecdote but it is second hand information. I work with several guys who were stationed over in Japan as part of their last tour of duty with CAG-5. They all have visited the Museum/memorial at Hiroshima and to a man say that the overwhelming vibe from the exhibits to the translated explanations of each item is essentially "...we were minding our own peaceful business and KABLAMMO". There is no mention of the war in China, embargoes, Pearl Harbor, the list goes on...

I think this is indicative of two things, the first being everything you just said Vetamur, and the second being the absolute state of disinformation that the general populace was kept in about the war in general, but especially the atrocities committed during the war and the severity of the losses sustained by the IJ Army and Navy at each of the large battles fought during the course of the conflict. Even the fighting man was kept in the dark about the TRUE state of affairs in other areas of the conflict.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 3/2/2007 9:19:25 AM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 22
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 10:03:21 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

What destroyer of the USN became famous for throwing potatoes at a jao sub?

I saw that show about the Fletchers on the History Channel (Weapons at War?) but can't remember the name.. maybe Chandler?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 23
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 10:12:54 AM   
Vetamur

The Elf.. you are right about the exhibits on the nuclear bomb. And its not just that. My first job in Japan was working at a museum about Edo/Tokyo.  When you get to modern history..there is stuff about modernizing Tokyo..blahblahblah..and then BAM!! FIRE BOMBING FROM ABOVE!!!! TOKYO BURNT OUT IN A NIGHT! BAM! then.. the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo.. No context nothing.  HOWEVER, there is no blame.  At Hiroshima, at Tokyo, Nagasaki. There is no context about WHY..but very very very few people ever say something about "well, damn those Americans for doing that!!".  On a related note..a few years ago I met an old man in a park. After guessing I was American (Japanese generally assume a foreigner speaks English and is American) he said "I like America". Without invitation he proceeded to tell me why.. it all came down to the fact that right after the war when he was hungry and there was nothing because Tokyo was a burned out mess an American GI had given him a Hersheys bar.  It didnt seem to occur to him that the reason he was hungry was that DIFFERENT Americans had burned the city out. Or he just didnt care. Or he was too polite to mention it to me.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 24
RE: Quiz - 3/2/2007 6:45:15 PM   
bradfordkay

This article was published today in the Seattle Post intelligencer:

Japan's 'comfort women' weren't forced, Abe says
Denial of sex slaves likely to rile Asia

By HIROKO TABUCHI
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO -- Japan's nationalist prime minister denied Thursday that the country's military forced women into sexual slavery during World War II, casting doubt on a past government apology and jeopardizing a fragile detente with his Asian neighbors.

The comments by Shinzo Abe, a member of a group of lawmakers pushing to roll back a 1993 apology to the sex slaves, were his clearest statement as prime minister on military brothels known in Japan as "comfort stations."

Historians say some 200,000 women -- mostly from Korea and China -- served in the Japanese military brothels throughout Asia in the 1930s and 1940s. Many victims say they were kidnapped and forced into sexual slavery by Japanese troops.

But Abe, who since taking office in September has promoted patriotism in Japan's schools and a more assertive foreign policy, told reporters there was no proof the women were forced into prostitution.

"The fact is, there is no evidence to prove there was coercion," Abe said.

His remarks contradicted evidence in Japanese documents unearthed in 1992 that historians said showed military authorities had a direct role in working with contractors to forcibly procure women for the brothels.

The documents, which are backed up by accounts from soldiers and victims, said Japanese authorities set up the brothels in response to uncontrolled rape sprees by invading Japanese soldiers in East Asia.

In 1993, then-Chief Cabinet Secretary Yohei Kono apologized to the victims of sex slavery, though the statement did not meet demands by former "comfort women" that it be approved by parliament. Two years later, the government set up a compensation fund for victims, but it was based on private donations -- not government money -- and has been criticized as a way for the government to avoid owning up to the abuse.

The mandate for the fund is to expire March 31.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Quiz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI