Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Multiplayer? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer? - 1/24/2007 11:53:24 AM   
thomash73

Could somebody tell more about features of multiplayer mode?
Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer? - 1/25/2007 2:39:10 AM   
Gregor_SSG

It's pretty easy to play. You connect to the other player and start the game. Both players have game speed controls, and the game runs at the lower of the two chosen speeds. We're still working out all the exact options for speed control and whether you'll be able to halt the clock in multiplayer games, but the idea is to give as much flexibility as possible.

Games tend be short, brutal, exciting affairs. We've put in some extra interface options to make launching strikes a very quick process for those who like playing under time pressure. Otherwise the game plays much as it does in single player.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to thomash73)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer? - 1/28/2007 8:34:17 PM   
thomash73

Thanx for answer! You said "both players"... So multiplayer means only two players. Am I right ?

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer? - 1/29/2007 7:17:06 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: thomash73

Thanx for answer! You said "both players"... So multiplayer means only two players. Am I right ?

Yes, you are correct. The complexity of programming and the difficulty of keeping everything in synch goes up markedly when there are more than two players. Keeping it at two keeps the job manageable, though certainly not trivial.

Gregor

(in reply to thomash73)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/31/2007 1:31:53 AM   
hempy

I've seen also the game will not support for PBEM, can we play with other friends in internet, or via server, somehow or other? or we can only play in the same house with friends via Lan?

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/31/2007 7:35:24 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

I certainly hope there will be some sort of MP lobby integrated in the game. If we'll have to use forums and mails to arrange our MP games the game won't be too popular I am afraid.

(in reply to hempy)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 12:53:01 AM   
hempy

maybe Gregor can explain more about this,  i'll waiting for official answer... 

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:42:43 AM   
Gregor_SSG

You can play over any TCP/IP connection, so over the internet or over a LAN. There's no game matching service at the moment, as the ones with lots of users charge us lots of money to implement, though we're happy to look at what can be done.

Gregor

(in reply to hempy)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 1:44:52 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

You can play over any TCP/IP connection, so over the internet or over a LAN. There's no game matching service at the moment, as the ones with lots of users charge us lots of money to implement, though we're happy to look at what can be done.

Well I am surprised that Matrix hasn't developed their own match making system as there is growing list of Matrix games that need it or will need it in near future.

For me, there are precious few things more disappointing than badly implemented MP. Also, experience teaches us that any MP system that relies on players themselves sending mails and hanging on the boards to *arrange* the match lead to frustration and very early abadnonement of MP by all except the handful of very VERY extremely hard core players (see the examples of much praised games like HTTR, COTA, that almost no one plays in MP, despite very stable MP code etc. similar example by other publisher - Distant Guns by Norm Koger).

Oleg

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 6/1/2007 1:51:19 PM >

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 9
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 2:16:49 PM   
e_barkmann

Both HTTR and COTA have the (admittedly clunky but battleworthy) Battle HQ muliplayer lobby facilities - yet I also never see these being played online (in comparision to say Close Combat). What does that say?

To me it says either players are not confident enough, or not motivated enough, to play those games online. It also suggests that some more motivated players will play direct without needing the 'Intranets' to know what is going on.

I have been beaten soundly many times at HTTR online and didn't require a lobby to arrange a game (and it has to be said my confidence increased over time in my belief that I would be soundly defeated at each new attempt of online HTTR!)

Also, I have found instant messaging applications, although confronting and rather new-world for some, are worth coming to grips with as they can very easily convey the 12 digit number required to connect up and play.

However, I'm sure if SSG are given enough reason/feedback to stitch in a lobby feature I'm sure they will look at it seriously (after all, Alex and Roger have plenty of spare time!)

In the mean time, this lobby took 10 seconds to load via my browser:

http://www.matrixgames.com/services/LiveChat.asp

cheers Chris

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 6/1/2007 2:18:24 PM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

Post #: 10
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 3:31:02 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant
I have been beaten soundly many times at HTTR online and didn't require a lobby to arrange a game (and it has to be said my confidence increased over time in my belief that I would be soundly defeated at each new attempt of online HTTR!)

Yea that's the side effect of extremely user-unfreindly way to play MP I have similar experiences with HTTR. Only the hardest of the hard core will play MP, and of course they will be experts, and beat us mid-level players on those rare occasions when we manage to arrange the game, with ease

Again the solution is to have user friendly, in-game, integrated match making service and/or server browser. It takes a LONG time for independent developers to learn this lesson though

quote:

Also, I have found instant messaging applications, although confronting and rather new-world for some, are worth coming to grips with as they can very easily convey the 12 digit number required to connect up and play.

If I have to use IM applet to arrange the MP game that's bad news.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 11
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:04:19 PM   
e_barkmann

quote:

Again the solution is to have user friendly, in-game, integrated match making service and/or server browser. It takes a LONG time for independent developers to learn this lesson though

I don't agree that by chatting to people pre-game you can easily determine how much of a match they will be.

Indeed, I have come across some who have said they are beginners and yet proceed to thrash you with their intellect and cunning skill (and deception).

When you talk about a match making service , I assume you understand the amount of dev work and infrastucture that is needed to go into this.

It's OK if you've just won 500k in a competition as a mod team where money is not the concern, but the amount of development time and money required to host a dedicated server ad infinitum, for a smaller dev team with limited time and cash, is definitely a constraint.

I suspect SSG will evaluate what is said in the forums and act as can be realistically achieved.

Certainly, I expect players will really enjoy CAW multiplayer.

CAW single player is excellent and no two games play alike thanks to WarRoom.

CAW multiplayer to me is a level above single player - the tension, excitement and frustration is palpable.

quote:

If I have to use IM applet to arrange the MP game that's bad news.

shrug - it's a click of a button and a small amount of your volatile RAM used - I'd suggest a lot less than having your STEAM application running while you are playing RO.

cheers

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 6/1/2007 4:10:31 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:10:35 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

When you talk about a match making service , I assume you understand the amount of dev work and infrastucture that is needed to go into this.
I suspect SSG will evaluate what is said in the forums and act as can be realistically achieved.

I would not expect SSG to develop integrated match making service since this is (IIRC) their first "direct play" game and they are small developer.

I, kinda sorta, expected Matrix to develop such service because there is a growing list of MG titles that would benefit from having an integrated match making MP code (server browser etc.)

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 13
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:12:15 PM   
e_barkmann

I will contact you when the game is out, we need to have a multiplayer game

Post #: 14
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:16:55 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

I will contact you when the game is out, we need to have a multiplayer game

Absolutely I plan to use single player in this game as training tool only

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 15
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:22:24 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

I, kinda sorta, expected Matrix to develop such service because there is a growing list of MG titles that would benefit from having an integrated match making MP code (server browser etc.)

In fact we have developed such a tool in cooperation with The Wargamer. It is not up with GameSpy or other mega services, but it works.

http://www.wargamer.com/battleHQ/

All you need to do is sign up, and if a game is not listed yet then request it to be implemented

Together with:
http://www.wargamer.com/battleleagues/

and

http://www.wargamer.com/opponentswanted/

This is a pretty "cover it all service".

And people use it too.

Post #: 16
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:25:11 PM   
e_barkmann

and of course, Marc will be in charge of the implementation

just joking....

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 17
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:27:16 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

and of course, Marc will be in charge of the implementation

just joking....

Certainly not

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 18
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:28:00 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

I have BattleHQ and it works fine but the rooms (lobbies) are always empty!  Even for new and otherwise popular games.

I suspect that'e because most players simply don't know about BHQ, that it even exists, let alone how to use it.

As the list of games that support BHQ and direct play grows you need to promote the usage of this tool. I don't remember getting a single BHQ related PR or news from Matrix.....

Post #: 19
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:31:58 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

I have BattleHQ and it works fine but the rooms (lobbies) are always empty! Even for new and otherwise popular games.

I suspect that'e because most players simply don't know about BHQ, that it even exists, let alone how to use it.

As the list of games that support BHQ and direct play grows you need to promote the usage of this tool. I don't remember getting a single BHQ related PR or news from Matrix.....

I fully agree that is needs to be promoted much more. And I do not understand why this is not done correctly. I hope Dave will put his special boot on soon and tell some people to push this more.

Post #: 20
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:33:40 PM   
e_barkmann

There you go Marc - get those bulletins out to promote BHQ, get some interest stirred up man!

edit: Beaten by the man

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 6/1/2007 4:34:26 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:35:03 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

I have BattleHQ and it works fine but the rooms (lobbies) are always empty! Even for new and otherwise popular games.

From experience I can tell you that people normally just hop on for a few minutes to meet opponents they have arranged a game with already. Our target group(s) are not people that have hours of time to stay on game lobbies to wait for opponents, like we did when we were 25 and still at university

Otherwise, I would check if your accounts works properly too. The tools has some quirks once in a while.

Post #: 22
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:36:00 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

There you go Marc - get those bulletins out to promote BHQ, get some interest stirred up man!

edit: Beaten by the man

Sorry, really but I don't do everything here. We have people for this and they need to get their job done regarding this
I have pushed this matters often enough already.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 23
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 4:38:19 PM   
e_barkmann

well you could have fooled me!

Thanks for your presence on the forums regardless

cheers

Post #: 24
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 6:38:02 PM   
Ursa MAior

I had contacted many people on BHQ while looking for a UV / WitP opponent in PBEM. Got no answer. After I came to their respective forums I found more opponents I could have handled. Could be my bad.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 25
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/1/2007 7:03:40 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

I had contacted many people on BHQ while looking for a UV / WitP opponent in PBEM. Got no answer. After I came to their respective forums I found more opponents I could have handled. Could be my bad.

Well BHQ is not really for looking for PBEM opponents. You should try the "Opponents Wanted" service in addition to contact people in the subforums we offer for every title:

http://www.wargamer.com/opponentswanted/

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Multiplayer? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI