Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Creating a Firestorm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Creating a Firestorm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 3:51:16 PM   
KDonovan

is it possible to create a Firestorm over Japanese Cities in this game?

i've been bombing a couple Japanese Manpower centers, which resulted in 1000+ fires.....but next turn they usually are snuffed out

is it possible to bomb to a point where the fire's are sustained for a period of time?.....and if so..... will the resulting firestorm gut the Industry centers in that city hex?

Post #: 1
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 4:40:27 PM   
BLurking

I've done it in China using Sallies, so you should be able to do it in Japan.

Make sure:
Target is heavily reconned.
Airbase is large enough.
Aircraft not at extended range.
Daylight raids, 6000 ft.

Hit it often enough, and things will burn...

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 2
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 4:42:57 PM   
rockmedic109

Fire levels drop quickly.  If you build up enough fires, then you will destroy {as opposed to disable} some of the industry/resources in the hex. 

From what I know {which is very little}, not much is destroyed.  Other than maybe scoring strategic points, I am not sure you'd want to......if they are disabled and the Japanese player doesn't click no repairs, it sucks 1000 supply trying to repair things.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 3
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 4:53:30 PM   
Andy Mac

Shhh dont tell PZB that its the cornerstone of my bombing campaign

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 4
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 5:24:19 PM   
RUPD3658

My buildings are built of asbestos (cough...cough...hack) so they don't burn.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 5:43:08 PM   
Feinder

It's been a while since I tested this, but it's VERY hard to sustain fires. As I recall, it reduces fires TO 10% every 12 hours (so twice a day). I think it should be BY 10% each 12 hours, but that's not up to me. :^)

So if create a 1000 fires (which is really nothing much in game terms), by then end of the next turn (if you don't bomb again), the fires drop to:

1000 x .1 = 100 (AM)
100 x .1 = 10 (PM)

So if you stop for a day (or if the weather grounds you), the fires will go from 1000 to 10.

Frankly, if it were BY 10% (instead of TO 10%), you'd see something like:
1000 x .9 = 900 (AM)
900 x .9 = 810 (PM)

In that case, you could actually manage to incease fires over a period of time. But as it stands now, they go out -very- quickly (and the bigger the fire, the faster they go out)...

Currently, if you managed 20,000 fires (do-able with a lot of bombers)
20,000 x .1 = 2000 (AM)
2000 x .1 = 200 (PM).

Your 20,000 fires are down to 200 (nothing) by the next day.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 6
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 7:08:53 PM   
tsimmonds

Can't-miss way to create a firestorm? Start a thread titled "Zero Bonus should be increased"

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 7:36:40 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Can't-miss way to create a firestorm? Start a thread titled "Zero Bonus should be increased"

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 8
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 9:28:15 PM   
KDonovan

quote:

It's been a while since I tested this, but it's VERY hard to sustain fires. As I recall, it reduces fires TO 10% every 12 hours (so twice a day). I think it should be BY 10% each 12 hours, but that's not up to me. :^)

So if create a 1000 fires (which is really nothing much in game terms), by then end of the next turn (if you don't bomb again), the fires drop to:

1000 x .1 = 100 (AM)
100 x .1 = 10 (PM)

So if you stop for a day (or if the weather grounds you), the fires will go from 1000 to 10.

1000 x .9 = 900 (AM)
900 x .9 = 810 (PM)

In that case, you could actually manage to incease fires over a period of time. But as it stands now, they go out -very- quickly (and the bigger the fire, the faster they go out)...

20,000 x .1 = 2000 (AM)
2000 x .1 = 200 (PM).

doh!....thanks Feinder.......guess i'll just stick to precision bombing.....

speaking of which....wouldn't it be nice to target rail line bridges in this game....my oppenant is moving troops all around China...and i can't do a thing to stem to flow of men and material

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 9:44:52 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: KDonovan
speaking of which....wouldn't it be nice to target rail line bridges in this game....my oppenant is moving troops all around China...and i can't do a thing to stem to flow of men and material

That's easy to fix....switch to CHS!

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 10
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 10:17:38 PM   
dtravel

quote:

quote:

1000 x .1 = 100 (AM)
100 x .1 = 10 (PM)

1000 x .9 = 900 (AM)
900 x .9 = 810 (PM)

20,000 x .1 = 2000 (AM)
2000 x .1 = 200 (PM).

doh!....thanks Feinder.......guess i'll just stick to precision bombing.....

Not to mention that you can't destroy industry (despite what the manual says). Mogami did tests a while back that showed that. All Fires will do is damage industry (and barely do so at that).

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 11
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 10:23:56 PM   
treespider

Wildcats suck! Zero's rule! Oh we're talking about strategic bombing....

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 12
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 10:27:19 PM   
treespider

quote:

So does it really take two weeks to move by rail from Peking to Shanghai once your loaded on the train? How will you measure how destroyed the bridge really is? How will you account for ferry systems that would replace the rail bridge?

Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 13
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 10:33:45 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

So does it really take two weeks to move by rail from Peking to Shanghai once your loaded on the train? How will you measure how destroyed the bridge really is? How will you account for ferry systems that would replace the rail bridge?

Two days to load all the troops present and their equipment. Four days to round up all the jokers AWOL and get them on board. Two days for the train to go from Peking to Shangai. A day to march everyone off the train. Two days to get everyone organized and back in their proper sub-units. Another day to round up the jokers who went AWOL during the previous three days. And finally a day for the officers in charge to realize they got off at the wrong stop.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 14
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 10:39:33 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

quote:

Two days to load all the troops present and their equipment. Four days to round up all the jokers AWOL and get them on board. Two days for the train to go from Peking to Shangai. A day to march everyone off the train. Two days to get everyone organized and back in their proper sub-units. Another day to round up the jokers who went AWOL during the previous three days. And finally a day for the officers in charge to realize they got off at the wrong stop.

Or you could add in a day to transfer from train to ferry and another day back onto the train...

Here's a link to:

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 15
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 11:23:17 PM   
Panther Bait

When the Allies were firebombing Japan and Germany, how long did the firestorm actually burn?  Did the firestorms really continue for days?  I could see the already devastated areas smoldering/lightly burning for days, but not a true firestorm for that long.

Not that anyone would have any hope of putting them out, but I would think that a true firestorm would consume the available fuel in a any given area fairly rapidly.  In that case, they could only be sustained for long periods by moving around, and the fires would evenutually either spread so far out that the high winds could not be sustained or hit a large enough firebreak (natural or man-made) to stop it.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 16
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 11:27:45 PM   
Feinder

quote:

If a bomb falls on the bridge and no one is around, does it make sound?

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 17
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/8/2007 11:31:43 PM   
Nikademus

well the bigger factor to remember is that there were very few Firestorms to begin with....I can think of two off the top of my head (Dresden and Hamburg?)

no they didn't burn at super high intensity for weeks, the worst of them did burn for at least 48 hours IIRC...enough that followup raids the next day had trouble aiming for all th smoke

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 18
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/9/2007 1:35:20 AM   
RUPD3658

IRL the buildings would be destroyed but the heavy equipment could be salvaged. This equates to HI being damaged vs totally destroyed.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 19
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/9/2007 1:38:02 AM   
RUPD3658

double post

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 20
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/9/2007 2:11:45 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without a movement cost to entrain and detrain, and a rail capacity limit, you can't think of this as rail transport. It is simply moving along a highway.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 21
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/9/2007 2:55:54 AM   
rockmedic109

Tokyo was a firestorm as well. I've read that people jumped into a river only to be boiled as the water was boiled away.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 22
RE: Creating a Firestorm - 6/9/2007 5:04:23 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without a movement cost to entrain and detrain, and a rail capacity limit, you can't think of this as rail transport. It is simply moving along a highway.

<search&replace/train/trucks>

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Creating a Firestorm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI