Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map Flickering and other probs.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Map Flickering and other probs. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/11/2007 4:27:36 PM   
jbunnelle

A few things that I noticed:

1. When moving around the map with a unit selected and the Moveable or Visible hexes option on, there is a terrible flickering on my laptop when I scroll the screen vertically. This doesn't happen when scrolling horizontally. I haven't yet tried the game on my main PC with its CRT monitor. Might be a laptop display issue. Either way, thought I should report it.

2. In the set-up phase of a dynamic scenario, I can select units in 2D view but I cannot move them. Was that how it's always been? Placement is infinitely easier in 2D due to the color-coded topography. So I wish this functionality were possible.

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/11/2007 4:30:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbunnelle
1. When moving around the map with a unit selected and the Moveable or Visible hexes option on, there is a terrible flickering on my laptop when I scroll the screen vertically. This doesn't happen when scrolling horizontally. I haven't yet tried the game on my main PC with its CRT monitor. Might be a laptop display issue. Either way, thought I should report it.

Are you running Vista? If so, turn on disable desktop composition in the compatibilty tab of a direct shortcut to the exe you want to run and it should eliminate this issue. If it's not Vista, then this is a different issue entirely.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jbunnelle)
Post #: 2
RE: Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/11/2007 4:38:49 PM   
jbunnelle

No, I'm running XP.

< Message edited by jbunnelle -- 6/11/2007 4:39:15 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/12/2007 2:32:26 AM   
Huib

This problem is related to the LCD screen you use. I experience this problem on one of my monitors. (BenQ LCD).
My Samsung LCD monitor does not have this problem, neither do my 2 laptops own screens.
It was already existant in the old Talonsoft version of the game.

Huib

(in reply to jbunnelle)
Post #: 4
RE: Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/12/2007 10:38:33 AM   
MartNick

Do you have the correct .inf file for your monitor? Sometimes helps not to use the Wndows Plug and Play one.

Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Monitor (set screen refresh rate here), Properties, Driver, Update Driver to your manufacturers .inf file.

Also I think LCD screens run better at 60 Hertz refresh rate.

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 5
RE: Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/12/2007 11:32:08 AM   
ojuzu

It's probably caused by the pseudo-transparency used in this game. Since the graphics are from a couple of generations ago, the grayed out "transparent" effect for the movable and visible hexes is accomplished by creating a bunch of dark lines in a criss-crossing pattern that allows the user to only see small parts of the regular map. This gives the illusion of transparency but it is noticeable at times, specifically on the winter maps where the contrast is greater and also when scrolling on certain LCD screens.

I'm not on a laptop but my LCD monitor is very crisp so it is somewhat noticeable for me as well. It really only becomes bad on the winter maps, though.

(in reply to MartNick)
Post #: 6
RE: Map Flickering and other probs. - 6/12/2007 11:13:39 PM   
jbunnelle

Thanks, everyone, not something I can't live with.

(in reply to ojuzu)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Map Flickering and other probs. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI