Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need More Info About the Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Need More Info About the Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need More Info About the Game - 2/11/2007 8:14:07 PM   
hueglin

I'm thinking of buying this game but would like a little more info about it before making a decision.

What epqt is available? Is it only 1980s eqpt or does it have eqpt from the 1960s and 1970s?

What is the editor like? Are you able to create your own units - assign unit titles and amount of eqpt? Can you edit the eqpt values?
Post #: 1
RE: Need More Info About the Game - 3/3/2007 4:35:51 AM   
Hertston

The game is set in 1989, although obviously large amounts of the kit being used dates back to the sixties and earlier in a few cases. If you mean could you create a 1960's scenario, the answer is no although you could probably do a pseudo (dates have to be in 1989 as I recall) '70s one by careful choice of equipment. I never really played about with the editor but as I recall you can edit morale and readiness levels and such but not weapons parameters.

Don't let that, or the relative lack of activity here put you off buying the game, though, it's excellent. I think FG just suffers the usual handicap (as does the superb Tin Soldiers games) of not being a WW2 game - and I'm not sure labelling the complexity as "basic" helped much either.. it's as 'intermediate' as anything that carries that label and actually rather harder to learn to play competently than HttR or CotA IMHO. That said, Cold War is easily my favourite era, so I may be a tad biased .

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 2
RE: Need More Info About the Game - 3/3/2007 3:40:15 PM   
CapnDarwin

FlashPoint Germany does have a moderate range of US, British, West German and Soviet Equipment some from the late 60's up to 89. Most of the packaged scenarios have 1st line forces involved, but with a bit of elbow grease you can build a scenario with the earlier equipment. As for editing the game, not so much. Most of the unit specific values are in the database, there are only the 3-4 lovely hand "painted" maps, but no map editor, there is scenario editing capability but it is not the most user friendly thing. Still the game is enjoyable to play and there are two set of user made scenarios that can be downloaded at the Wargamer made by one of our beta-testers (he could explain scenario editing much better then I could I'm sure). We are working hard on the next game in the series with a focus on allowing the player to edit almost anything this time around (maps, scenarios, units, weapons, etc).

Hope this helps. Thanks for taking a look at our game.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Need More Info About the Game - 3/3/2007 10:42:06 PM   
hueglin

Herston and Capn Darwin,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this game on my 'to buy' list although it sounds like the next game Capn Darwin mentions will be more appealing to me, as I really prefer to be able to tinker with maps, units and equipment.

Dave

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Need More Info About the Game - 3/4/2007 7:38:34 PM   
z1812

Hi hueglin,

I am the beta tester who made the Scenario Packages and Graphics mods that are available.

The scenario editor is very very good. You cannot edit the equipment but you may change the experience level and arrangement of forces in a group. Bear in mind infantry is abstracted as dismounts to APC's and AFV's. There are no infantry to move about.

If your interest is modding then perhaps this game is not for you. Icons can be edited but it is quite an involved process. Maps cannot be edited at all.

If you like scenario design I can recommend it. I find the scenario editor quite intuitive.

The game is a gem in my view. It is different from others and I would not be without it for my collection. I really enjoy the we-go movement and of course PBEM.

For some FPG may be an aquired taste and others may not like it at all. Unfortunately there is no demo.

As Capn Darwin says the next game will allow far more availibilty to mod and edit.

Regards John

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Need More Info About the Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI