Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dividing and rebuilding ground units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Dividing and rebuilding ground units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/30/2007 12:45:32 PM   
Bison Frontier

Say I divide an infantry division into regiments A, B and C. If regiments B and C get completely destroyed, will A slowly rebuild back to the full division?

What if A and B are destroyed, and only C is left? Will C rebuild too?

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/30/2007 1:05:59 PM   
pauk

No.

(in reply to Bison Frontier)
Post #: 2
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/30/2007 1:14:29 PM   
Rybeck

No to both cases? So basically if you divide a unit and part gets destroyed, it's gone forever?

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 3
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/30/2007 1:36:24 PM   
Yamato hugger

That is correct.

(in reply to Rybeck)
Post #: 4
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/30/2007 4:15:17 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rybeck

No to both cases? So basically if you divide a unit and part gets destroyed, it's gone forever?

you will only get it back (perhaps) if you save a fragment. Though even if you save a fragment it´s not always sure it will rebuild - for what reason ever. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don´t. I even have the fragments suddenly becoming ghost units after unloading from ships, which means the whole unit is lost...

(in reply to Rybeck)
Post #: 5
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/30/2007 11:14:55 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rybeck

you will only get it back (perhaps) if you save a fragment. Though even if you save a fragment it´s not always sure it will rebuild - for what reason ever. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don´t. I even have the fragments suddenly becoming ghost units after unloading from ships, which means the whole unit is lost...

Most of these problems went away for me when I upgraded (1.8 I think).

It is a little counter intuitive that if a regiment is lost from a division that it won't eventually be rebuilt. Im not sure that should be the case.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 6
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/31/2007 12:41:14 AM   
Halsey

If a parent unit dies from attrition, the fragment will not reform.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 7
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/31/2007 1:10:43 AM   
jwilkerson

Note, per my post in the other similar thread that fragments and divided pieces are different.

Regarding fragments, there is a concept in the code where if the parent is destroyed a new fragment will be selected to become the new parent. Well actually it is more complicated than that but this is one way of looking at it "functionally". But it was (and probably still is) not always the case that this would happen. Sometimes where a parent was destroyed there was no swap. It is impossible to say whether or not this is/was intended. But generally we have gone with the theory that there should always be a parent swap if the parent is destroyed. I think I have personally tracked down (and fixed) about 6 different situations in there was no swap happening. I doubt we've nailed them all, but we've probably nailed the higher frequency ones.

So at least according to current theory, there should always be a parent of course except when you divide the unit. In this case the parent is removed from play and placed into an "off map holding box" and the parent only returns when you recombine the unit. Hence in this case, if you lose one of the divided pieces, you will be unable to reform the unit and the parent will remain off map.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 8
RE: Dividing and rebuilding ground units - 7/31/2007 2:31:48 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
Regarding fragments, there is a concept in the code where if the parent is destroyed a new fragment will be selected to become the new parent.

This is what I have seen happen on a fairly regular basis since upgrading. Even small fragments can rebuild a unit. I won't go so far as to say it ALWAYS happens, but it seems to happen more times than not. However, I still have several unit fragments from before the patch...some are ghost fragments.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Dividing and rebuilding ground units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI