Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Starshatter: The Gathering Storm >> Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? - 8/9/2007 4:49:09 PM   
Player 5

Score: 0
Sometimes i like to leave my cap ships behind and go back to they days of fighters. More often than not, i join the attack squadron so i can practice finding the weak spots, and kill some of a cruiser's speed bumps called frigates. It seems that the hostile AI is either better at cap strikes, or does more damage by default (i lost a devastator that ws above 75% health to 4 fighters and their missiles, which seemed to do like 10% dmg each) and i was wanting to know other ppl's tactics, and i dont mean how to stop strikes(altho i need help with that too)
Post #: 1
RE: Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? - 8/9/2007 11:05:08 PM   
Zanthras

I believe approach vector is everything with fighter strikes, hulls have weak points.

Use caution when comparing how the enemy fairs or what they can do for damage, all ships and fighters are different. It really doesnt have much to do with what they can or cannot do, it is about what you can or cannot do.

Try to learn the craft assigned to you and use it within it's limitations.
Being squadron leader doesnt mean your missles have to hit first. Hold back and let your men fire first, strike and run. Keep your range from target above min range of their point defenses, typically 55km.  

It may require multiple strikes to take out a target. In the dynamic campaign any damage inflicted remains when you return.

on the flip side I recommend watching for enemy fighters approaching you or your group. If I am not currently engaged with another cap ship I switch point defense to auto and target the incoming fighters. It seems to me that the guns are far more effective when use this way. I have shot down 3 of 4 fighters attempting an attack on my ship using this tactic. Also remember, certain ships have certain weak points, typically if I take the missles on the upper sides of my cruiser it does less damage and usually doesnt take out vital subsystems. Utilize the M key to manually control roll/pitch/yaw.

If you are engaged with a capship during a fighter assualt best bet is to quantum and regroup...

this is, of course, only my opinion, there are many different tactics. Search the forums and you'll see.

"Don't give up the ship!"
-Captain James Lawrence

(in reply to Player 5)
Post #: 2
RE: Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? - 8/10/2007 1:52:19 AM   
Player 5

i kno about the weak spots in hulls and all that, but even hitting the weak spot of a volnaris with ASM's isnt a easy kill, whereas i lost my cruiser in one mission, after only suffering minor damage to the ship. . . whereas i can survive a strike with a destroyer. Interesting with the PDB's, and quantum does help, unless you are focused on planning your next move against that enemy battle group and fail to see the blips on ur radar.

anyway thank for the advice

btw, does game crash near end of nightfall campaign in the system with the drifting hegemony cruisers labeled unknown?

(in reply to Zanthras)
Post #: 3
RE: Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? - 8/10/2007 2:37:28 AM   
Zanthras

I was playing 3.9 when I completed the entire campaign originally, lots changed since then. I have played some of the campaigns since, but not Op Nightfall.

I will say there have been scattered reports of issues with some of the campaigns.  

"Don't give up the ship!"
-Captain James Lawrence

(in reply to Player 5)
Post #: 4
RE: Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? - 8/10/2007 3:02:40 AM   
Player 5

once you get to the xanthras sector, there are unknown ships drifting and the game consistently crashes as soon as these are attacked(can tell because the fighters give attack message and it crases), milo might have posted on how to fix it, idk but i was just reading a thread about tht and it ws first thread tht i saw tht milo himself posted in

(in reply to Zanthras)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Starshatter: The Gathering Storm >> Cap ship strikes. . . smart or suicide? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI