Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sandbox Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Sandbox Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sandbox Question - 10/16/2007 1:30:12 AM   
EmuMessenger

Hello again,

I downloaded the demo, in which the Sandbox mode is not enabled.

Anyway, after reading through the manual, it seems the full version allows a draft of individual players from any team and any year.

With that being said, I am wondering if anyone is using this mode and if the teams can be dropped below 50 players to a number I choose. I was hoping somewhere around 25ish. Also, can the league be continuous, year-after-year but without the players aging? This will be helpful since some of the players, for example, could be from 2007 and others from 1967.

Thank you in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Sandbox Question - 10/16/2007 1:34:02 AM   
EmuMessenger

One other thing....  IF, for example, the league would have ten teams, with the 25ish players on each, can I flag the 250 players and years in the database and have the computer auto-draft the teams from my prescribed players?

Thanks.

(in reply to EmuMessenger)
Post #: 2
RE: Sandbox Question - 10/16/2007 3:03:15 AM   
DonBraswell

Wish I had an answer for you. But I've never tried to do this. Hopefully some one will post an answer soon.
Don

Post #: 3
RE: Sandbox Question - 10/16/2007 3:52:33 AM   
Nukester

In sandbox mode, you can choose from one of 26 different league setups. There are 2 different setups for 10 team leagues. After setting up the league, you can use the tools to import players or teams to populate the league. Number of players per team are the same as any other mode, where you can choose 35, 55, and 60 (?) players per team. Player aging would have to be controlled via the XML file, which shouldnt really be too hard to do if you find the correct lines

< Message edited by Nukester -- 10/16/2007 4:11:34 AM >

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 4
RE: Sandbox Question - 10/16/2007 9:03:10 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Alternately, there is an option when you're setting up the association where you can do a Replay in the sense that you can keep playing that year over and over again. The players won't age as you're not really "advancing" any. You're simply playing the same year over and over-- typically this is used to see what patterns may develop over time.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 5
RE: Sandbox Question - 10/30/2007 3:05:29 AM   
EmuMessenger

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I did not want to make the purchase if I could not run my non-aging all-star type leagues.

To get the roster below 35 people, do you recommend creating terrible players or drafting lousy players?

In the Sandbox Mode, just confirming I can draft players from any year or team.  eg 1970 J. Bench, 1986 D. Gooden and 2007 A. Rodriguez can play in the same league.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 6
RE: Sandbox Question - 10/30/2007 4:39:54 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Well, I would warn you about doing anything that will bring your effective roster below 35 players. I once started a 2006 association playing as the Florida Marlins and I chose the 35-player default the game suggested. I must admit; I regreted it heartily. The problem is that while you may still get a handful of scrubs, you soon find that having 10 players in the minors is NOWHERE near enough to provide any kind of support for the team's future.

Typically, 50-60% of those 10 minor leaguers end up being older veteran players who were in your team that year but didn't have enough starts or playing time to register as a "major league-calibur" player. The point being, that they take up spaces that you wish (and trust me, you WILL wish) were occupied by up-and-coming superstar youngsters. Worst part, as injuries occur, you soon find that you do not have that many players to call up.

Imagine that out of the 10 minor league players, 4 are high-potential rookies. That leaves 6 veterans; let's assume 3 pitchers and 3 position players. On average, we'll go with 2 starters and 1 reliever for your rotation, one infielder one catcher and one outfielder for the position side of things. I guarantee that suddenly, your starting first baseman will suffer a serious thumb injury and your only infielder is a shortstop. You will curse the day you are born.

As soon as I was able, I got with CrashDavis and from his website I downloaded his homemade configuration program that allows me to increase the number of players allowed in a team up to 50. That fits so much better.

Do as you wish, but I urge that you strongly consider going with at least 50 players. I typically play with exactly 50 players, as I find 55 or 60 to be too much.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Sandbox Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI