Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Mysteries of Gun Of August

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The Mysteries of Gun Of August Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/5/2008 2:35:15 AM   
huggybear60

Hi All,

Been awhile since a game has really intrigued me like this one...but...there are some things which I just am at a loss to explain and the manual, no offense, offers little in detail. I am playing the Central Powers (CP), 1914 scenario, getting my jock handed to me again.

If anybody can shed some light on these questions, it would be great:

1. During the strategic portion for Germans, refitted HQ Einem maximum 3, current 1 who is in Austria, I allocate 1 HQ refit point, HQ refits left are 1 but I cannot refit again to max of 3. Why?

2. Cannot move Turks into Russia despite being at war with them/Triple Entente for months.

3. It's 1916 and my R and D is still at 13% Arty and 14% Trench, do I need to spend R and D to futher each?

4. HQ Hindeburg disappears. It's there one turn and the next gone.

5. Bulgaria enters the CP side of the war but I cannot get the Bulgars to move into Serbia for months.

6. Cities have numbers in parens, what does that translate to industrial wise? One of the reasons I keep having to buy new jocks is because the German industrial output seems very low, usually I have only 9 or 10 points per turn to work with.

7. Why can I not enter cities that are empty yet the enemy nevers seems to have any issues drilling a hole in my line an exploiting to the n-th degree?

That ought to do it for now. Still love the game but manual is weak.

Thanks in advance...

Post #: 1
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/5/2008 4:01:41 AM   
wargamer123

1. You can only refit 1 HQ point per turn for any HQ

2. There should be no reason why you cannot enter Russia as Turkey, though I haven't had this as an issue so far I go into Russia every time I can.

3. You have to spend per turn to get those percentages to go up, allocate more points to each area you want research to grow.

4. I think the reason Hindenburg is gone is someone has replaced him. I notice that happens without warning all the time.

5. The Bulgars should be able to enter Serbia if their HQ is activated to do it I have done it every game.

6. The numbers on the cities has nothing to do with industry, it's power points that are dealing with morale, I'm not sure the Industrial Power of each city. Though controlling the those numbered cities gives you half that value in Morale and takes fully from the enemy, very important... Though you won't be getting the full power without full Raw Materials and enough food to get your workers doing their jobs... So if you're short on Raws or Food that's the problem.

7. You can enter any enemy city with activation points, sometimes it's random if you get beat to the punch but their are other factors if the enemy is going to attempt to repulse you.

8. The manual covered 75% of your questions ;) Best to read these forums thoroughly and the manual and hotseat too :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: huggybear60

Hi All,

Been awhile since a game has really intrigued me like this one...but...there are some things which I just am at a loss to explain and the manual, no offense, offers little in detail. I am playing the Central Powers (CP), 1914 scenario, getting my jock handed to me again.

1. During the strategic portion for Germans, refitted HQ Einem maximum 3, current 1 who is in Austria, I allocate 1 HQ refit point, HQ refits left are 1 but I cannot refit again to max of 3. Why?

2. Cannot move Turks into Russia despite being at war with them/Triple Entente for months.

3. It's 1916 and my R and D is still at 13% Arty and 14% Trench, do I need to spend R and D to futher each?

5. Bulgaria enters the CP side of the war but I cannot get the Bulgars to move into Serbia for months.

6. Cities have numbers in parens, what does that translate to industrial wise? One of the reasons I keep having to buy new jocks is because the German industrial output seems very low, usually I have only 9 or 10 points per turn to work with.

7. Why can I not enter cities that are empty yet the enemy nevers seems to have any issues drilling a hole in my line an exploiting to the n-th degree?

That ought to do it for now. Still love the game but manual is weak.

Thanks in advance...

(in reply to huggybear60)
Post #: 2
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/5/2008 6:05:56 AM   
SMK-at-work

Just to give essentially the same answers but perhaps worded differently....

quote:

ORIGINAL: huggybear60

Hi All,

You can only refit a HQ with 1 point each strat phase

quote:

Have you activated the troops with HQ points? If so then there should be no problem and it's a bug.

If not then that's your problem.

quote:

You have to keep spending on R&D - and you can only spend 1 point in each area each strategic phase.

I've never really understood what the % figures are!!

quote:

IIRC there's a few HQ's that disappear in the game because their historical person disappeared - some of them are replaced by others.

quote:

Again the activation question - have you activated the troops?

quote:

German output can be maximised by having ships trading in hte Baltic, and by shifting all spare raw materials and even industrial points to it from Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire.

The numbers by the cities give an indication of how important the cities are for national morale, and also (I think) how much supply they can provide if cut off from the rest of the country - but it's only a relative indication, not an absolute measure - eg a 30 point city will give 10 times as much supply as a 3 point one....but not necessarily 30 points of supply.

quote:

You can only occupy enemy cities with activated infantry corps - cavalry, HQ's and artillery cannot enter them.

Post #: 3
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/5/2008 5:44:31 PM   
Grell

I agree the manual stinks. I have Huntingtons Disease and it makes matters even worse.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/6/2008 12:43:12 AM   
huggybear60

Thanks Wargamer and SMK...thought I had read the manual but...well...no excuses offered. Could be head space and timing. I'll give the hints/answers a try.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 5
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/6/2008 1:03:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

Have you tried the revised manual we posted in the Members Club yet?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/6/2008 8:03:26 AM   
SMK-at-work

There's still plenty of room ofr improvement in the new manual tho - it still says that GoA runs in 1024 x 768, and that HQ points have a 1 turn delay (it's 2 turns) and that 3 captured food is required for 1 extra production.

There's nothing in it on disbanding troops or using the mouse-over-right-click to select troops or HQ's for refit, there's still no explaination of what the % figures are on the research chart, many of the screenshots are now obsolete - like the starting screen (no alternate resolutions) & the naval combat screens (no current damage & max total not shown), and there's stil no mentoin of the possibility of both sides occupying a hex after combat.

And that's just from a quick read through.....

But it's still better than nothing

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/12/2008 12:22:05 PM   
ant1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

quote:

IIRC there's a few HQ's that disappear in the game because their historical person disappeared - some of them are replaced by others.

I just bought this game, and in my first full campaign game playing as the triple entente I noticed that the British HQ 'Haig' Disappeared sometime in 1915 and was replaced by somebody else...Why? In reality Haig was the British commander throughout the war so he shouldn't be replaced. The HQ unit hadn't been involved in any direct combat either, so there's no way it could be simulating his death in battle as some wargames do. Bug??

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 8
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/12/2008 7:47:45 PM   
talldwarf

This may represent Haig's promotion to overall English command.  He is no longer an army level commander, so won't be represented on the board.

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 9
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/14/2008 4:09:40 AM   
jbeigie

I've been playing my first game. I'm playing as the CP, and I note that after the first turn I am unable to purchase any HQ refits, or basically anything else. Is this correct? Definitely makes it hard to keep the German offensive going.

In the initial setup there are no German troops on the Eastern Front. Historically there was 8th Army under prittwitz and von francois 1st Corp. Why don't they show up there?

Post #: 10
RE: The Mysteries of Gun Of August - 2/14/2008 7:58:47 PM   
wargamer123

jb

you can buy HQ points, but you cannot do it the first turn, the first turn no side can do anything, but naval/air diplo and tech for the CP at least

HQ points can take a bit to show up ;) patience

deployment phaze allows you to place your armies anywhere you want on the 2nd arrow click of all for the CP

(in reply to jbeigie)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The Mysteries of Gun Of August Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI