Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simple Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Simple Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simple Question - 6/9/2008 9:05:12 PM   
jhnbaker41

I am a newbie to this game and am just learning the basics. I would like to understand the meaning of Container units. It says that these units do not have military capabilities per sey so are they use as a storehouse to disperse troops and how does one accomplish this?
Post #: 1
RE: Simple Question - 6/10/2008 6:13:15 AM   
haruntaiwan

Think of them as adminstrative units, like a holding company that has many subsidiaries below it. They don't serve any purposes except organizationally.

(in reply to jhnbaker41)
Post #: 2
RE: Simple Question - 6/10/2008 10:44:11 AM   
Gil R.

(Moved thread to main part of the forum, since the "War Room" is only for strategy discussions.)

You're missing a key element of containers: they each have a logistics and command rating, representing the quality of the staff officers. You really need to pay attention to these ratings, because they have a significant impact. (See "Staff Ratings" in the manual.)

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 3
RE: Simple Question - 6/10/2008 8:24:38 PM   
jhnbaker41

I know this is still a dumb question but what is the purpose of the container unit? Can you use it to engage the enemy? Sorry I am at a loss. Someone said that it is an administrative unit???

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Simple Question - 6/10/2008 10:05:32 PM   
morganbj

The container is a "unit" into which you put your combat units (brigades and ships and other containers).   They represent divisions, corps, armies and fleets.  Besides making it easy to move large numbers of units, which is important but not the real reason you have them, they provide administrtative support in the form of supplies and replacements.  By setting the support level at the bottom of the container unit's display screen, you can increase the suppport priority.  So, if you're planning an offensive, you can give the units in one or more of your containers higher priority of supply and replacements.  It's also handy if you need to rebuild an amy that has been badly hurt in combat.

With these units, the game would be almost unplayable.  Knowing when to but more divisions, corps, and armies is very important, and is a signficant part of the game.

Oh, and you get to promote generals to fill the "slots" created by the purchase of a container.  When you buy a division, for example, you get to promote someone to "two stars" to command that container (and all the units in it.)  This can help with your governor's attitudes, if you promote the right guy, and gives the benefit of that commander's ratings to all the units in the container.  "One star" generals only give those benefits to a single brigade.

I'm going from memory here, but I don't think you can conduct a siege without a container unit.  Sieges are how you capture enemy cities.

When you need reinforcements in combat, you can only summon units in adjacent areas that are in a container.  So, if you have 50 brigades next door, they will just sit there and watch you bite the schnitzel -- they cannot be summoned to help.  Ouch.  Summoning reinforcements at the right time is a very important part of the game, especially for the Southern player who may have to have "reserve" divisions or corps in areas adjacent to two or three avenues of approach so that they can respond to the next Union thrust.

So, figure them out quickly, or you won't have much of a chance to win.

< Message edited by bjmorgan -- 6/10/2008 10:08:44 PM >

(in reply to jhnbaker41)
Post #: 5
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 1:33:39 AM   
Gil R.

That's a fairly good summary of the value of "containers." I can confirm that sieges cannot be done by lone units. In fact, very little can be done by individual brigades, so if you don't put your brigades inside divisions/corps/armies (or assign them to garrison duty inside forts and cities, which are essentially immobile containers) they will be of hardly any value in most situations.

Another thing to know about containers is that if you disband (by clicking the big X) a brigade that is inside the container its men will be redistributed to the others. So if your army is badly beaten and you have a number of understrength units, you might want to disband a few of the inferior ones so that your better units are quickly reinforced.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 6
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 2:54:35 AM   
goodwoodrw

Talking about units inside containers, how do you buy garrison units or are they just infantry placed inside forts?
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 3:34:55 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

Talking about units inside containers, how do you buy garrison units or are they just infantry placed inside forts?
Ron

You can't: garrison units are automatically placed in cities and forts at the start of the game. So if you want to strengthen a garrison, you have to send an infantry brigade there. (Making garrison units available for purchase would have added some needless complexity to the game.)

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 8
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 4:29:03 AM   
goodwoodrw

Thanks Gil I suspected I would have to buy Inf units. I was hoping u could buy cheap and quickly formed militia or garrison troops to place in forts.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 6:14:24 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

Thanks Gil I suspected I would have to buy Inf units. I was hoping u could buy cheap and quickly formed militia or garrison troops to place in forts.

Of course, you can always muster (or conscript, if necessary). My own preference is usually to move garrison units from areas where they are less urgently needed.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 10
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 3:25:34 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Another thing to know about containers is that if you disband (by clicking the big X) a brigade that is inside the container its men will be redistributed to the others. So if your army is badly beaten and you have a number of understrength units, you might want to disband a few of the inferior ones so that your better units are quickly reinforced.

I had forgottn that, since I never use it myself. Good to plug it in memory again in case I need it.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 4:50:27 PM   
GShock

Using Garrisons is a main strategy for CSA that saves money and production levels from the muster/conscription. The less men are available, the less a settlement produces, however, i recommend renaming the garrisons when they take the field, so that it's easier from the military screen to give them a priority in the equipping of new weapons.

Generally, garrisons are ok with improvised but when they take the field, i rename them so i know they need weapons, like all other combat units.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 12
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 10:14:47 PM   
jhnbaker41

Ok so if I have a container unit I primarily use it to be able to transfer units to hot spots where they are needed and develop units, leaders etc.. Is that correct and I can use the container unit to transfer BRs to naval ports etc..?

(in reply to jhnbaker41)
Post #: 13
RE: Simple Question - 6/11/2008 10:27:13 PM   
Gil R.

"Containers" aren't for transfer of units, they're for deploying units. Once you put brigades in a division, let's say, you don't want to take it out unless you're transferring it to another division, or a fort, city, etc. Once your brigades are inside a division/corps/army that has one or more generals commanding it then that unit will in time gain in quality and learn special abilities from the general(s), and it will also gain quality through combat. As far as your naval ports question, I assume you are asking about amphibious invasions, and if so then the answer is that you invade by taking one or more divisions/corps with brigades in them and putting the divisions/corps into a fleet, sending the fleet to the invasion point, and then unloading the men.

(in reply to jhnbaker41)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Simple Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI