Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's your favorite version of SPWAW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's your favorite version of SPWAW? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's your favorite version of SPWAW? - 3/28/2002 6:06:16 AM   
MacCready

Im just curious what peoples favorite version/versions of SPWAW
are and explain why if you care to
Post #: 1
- 3/28/2002 6:34:20 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I can remember playing original Steel Panthers the very first time.

The graphics seemed so cool, the sounds so awesome.

But I didn't pick the game apart much. I never asked questions, just clicked my way through battles happy to play something ASL like.

But as with all of us my computer evolved and altered. And then one day the darn game wouldn't run right, or installing it was a nightmare without assistance from a computer savvy friend.

So while I am saying that I will be playing 7.1 with no regrets, the version that made me happiest, was the first one that made the leap to being Windows friendly (which for me I think was 4. something, although I am not assuming that that was the first good Windows friendly version).

I have not played any version enough actual times though to have played any one version like forever in actuality.

Now if you want to reeeeally know. The single biggest thing for me was just finding Matrix. Because they are the ones that gave me something better than original Steel Panthers.
I would still have the original game disk, but I doubt I would be playing it, if I didn't have the improvements that Matrix sponsored.

I can only hope that Matrix makes good use out of the solid customer loyalty base, and uses it to purchase a solid future for themselves. And that future doesn't have to involve giving out any more goodies to keep me here either.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 2
- 3/28/2002 6:44:09 AM   
MacCready

I want to have 4.5 installed because it was the first version I played alot,only version I played alot actually.And 4.5 was the only version I ever played online and it worked really well.

So I definetley will have that one,but I also want the latest 7.1 installed as well as the 3 MC's,MC patches ,sound patches,the works.

But I see the links to download version 5.1 (5.2 patch)
And 6.1

I guess I'm really tring to find out if it would be worth having 5.2
and 6.1 installed for any reason.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 3
- 3/28/2002 8:24:30 PM   
Fuerte2

I played 2.x a lot (was it 2.3?) and it was great! Because I play secure PBEM only, it was perhaps the best version so far, because everything worked flawlessly. In the following versions the replay didn't work, and even now the end game map requires passwords for both players (and there are those odd targeting bugs). So while there are some cool features in the latest versions (like faster play and better unit pictures), most of them are no use for me (fast artillery, TCP/IP play, mega campaigns).

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 4
- 3/28/2002 8:39:49 PM   
Larry Holt

If you are into features and a game as a detailed, accuate simulation of real combat then go with the latest. If you need crash proof reliability go with the last one before on-line/TCP play was added which I think was 2.3. I NEVER had 2.3 crash, did anyone?

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 5
Go With 7.1! - 3/29/2002 5:35:35 AM   
John David

I agree with Larry. If you want the crashproof version, try the earlier versions.

I think that 7.1 is great and it is smooth. I have never had a problem with 5.0+ and the game has not crashed on me. It also depends on your computer hardware, especially your sound and video card types.

John

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 6
- 3/29/2002 5:52:10 AM   
MacCready

where would one get a 2.something version?

I have a demo cd from a magazine that has 4.0 on it,but as far as earlier versions than that where would you get a copy?

I use 4.5 and 7.1(MCx3) I am happy with both of these versions for different reasons.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 7
Re: What's your favorite version of SPWAW? - 3/29/2002 9:15:42 AM   
Warrior2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacCready
[B]Im just curious what peoples favorite version/versions of SPWAW
are and explain why if you care to [/B][/QUOTE]

I started with v1 and and upgraded every time. As far as I'm concerned, vervsion 7.1 is the ultimate, and most "realistic."

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 8
- 3/29/2002 9:39:39 AM   
bchapman

I play mostly PBEM games. Version 4.5 had some security problems, but as far as the game play went, I think it was the best. I will say that I love all of them, from 1 thru 7.1a.

[QUOTE]MacCready: where would one get a 2.something version? [/QUOTE]
I have them all on CD from ver.1 thru ver 6.1. :D Send me a note if you really want it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 9
- 4/2/2002 10:52:43 AM   
Goblin

I cut my first tooth on 4.5, and will always have soft spot for it. This 7.1 is outstanding though.

Goblin

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 10
- 4/2/2002 11:51:08 AM   
MacCready

I started a ww2 campaign yesterday as US Army vs slot A Germany,slot B Italy,slot C Germany. 6/44-4/45 9 battles

Its using 7.1 and though a small headache to get everything properly installed it was worth the effort.
Play is most realistic its ever been.

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 11
- 4/2/2002 12:02:14 PM   
tracer

The version that sticks in my mind is 6.0, when they reworked infantry combat; no more '1 kill to death' when your squads got fired on. Since armor combat resolution was already working fine, this shot the realism of SPWAW into the stratosphere for me. I feel every version since has been a 'fine tuning', and an improvement.

Jim NSB

(in reply to MacCready)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's your favorite version of SPWAW? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI