Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Even more Newb Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Even more Newb Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 8:50:49 AM   
kaybayray

Greetings All

I passed this game up for the longest time thinking it was only a Grand Strategy game. Got my fill of those on table top versions long ago. I prefer more tactical play. I found a video quite by accident that showed the detailed tactical battle play. So now I am very interested in this game. I have a couple questions that I have not been able to find an answer for so far.

I am not really well versed in Civil War tactics or strategy but the more I read on this board the more interesting this game sounds. I am pretty well versed in Napoleonic strategy and tactics from playing 15mm Napoleonics for many many years.

My questions are:

1) The unit sizes I see in the detail battles, what size do they represent? For example I saw in the video linked from this forum a short sequence from a detailed battle. What is the approximate size of the units depicted? I assume they are most likely Battalions or Regiments, but would like some clarification. This would help me get a feel for the tactical scale of the battles.

2) Not really being a great Civilzation builder but not being completely stupid either, I am wondering about the difficulty in building a successful economy or industry for the South. I am more interested in playing the Confederacy since I believe that is the more challenging aspect of this game. Just curious how challenging it is to build a successful economy and industrial base for the Confederacy. I dont want to live in this game I want to play it.

3) I am somewhat familliar with the general time line of the war. I assume that you could actually win the war in a shorter period than is historical. However is the end of the game or rather the Terms of Victory as it were, set with a calender deadline from the start of the game or is it open ended based on how the war proceeds by either side? In other words, can the game be continued beyond the (April 1865 ?) historical ending? If so what is the end limit?

Just a few questions I have been pondering.

Later,
KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter
Post #: 1
RE: Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 11:03:56 AM   
haruntaiwan

Personally, I find the tactical battles to be the most time consuming. The economy requires and initial bit of micromanagement, then less so as turns go on, with the occasional re-adjustment here and there as needed.

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 2
RE: Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 11:13:36 AM   
jkBluesman

1) Battles are fought on brigade level.
2) It is difficult to manage the Southern economy and a key to victory for the Confederate player is to distribute your resources well. Blockade Runners and European support can be crucial, espacially at the beginning of the game. With the power adjustment and higher difficulty levels you can make it even more difficult.
3) With the option "Total War" you will see a game last into 1866 if necessary.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 3
RE: Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 11:33:47 AM   
Gil R.

Just to add a little...

2) If you go to the "War Room" sub-forum you can read about strategies that the South should use, which will give you an idea of what's involved in managing the South's economy. And remember that there are options to turn off certain features, if desired.

3) Typically, beginning in 1865 the CSA player begins to gain Victory Points each month, so while there is no fixed date when the game ends the South does eventually gain full nationhood if it holds on long enough (which represents its eventual recognition by foreign powers).

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 4
RE: Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 4:31:14 PM   
morganbj

If you can get through the first year as the South, and having a good year, you'll have a good chance to win.  Building the economy up a little is crucial.  As Gil says, look for the strategy guides and read them.  They are a big help!

In HW the key to strategic victory is to capture units, and then win the battle.  (If you don't win, you don't keep the prisoners.)  Once you get good at this, you can whittle the yankee down every battle until you begin to capture 8, 10, 14 brigades in every large battle.  ALWAYS try to capture artillery units.  It's far cheaper than buying them.  I often never build one of my own and end up having 8 or 10 of them in my armies by the end of the game.  The yank can't sustain that level of losses and by 1863 you can walk up north on a leisurely stroll.

But, if you have a bad to mediocre first year, you're going to see the yank with butter in their haversacks by 1863, because you're going to be toast.

That's been my experience.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 8:13:34 PM   
kaybayray

Thank you all for the great responses.

Think I should clearify my question about unit size on the detailed battle map. More appropriately phrased, what is the smallest unit that can be manuvered on the field? In the video I watched of the detailed battle I saw units that had something like 6 or so infantry figures in a Line formation for example. I also saw approximately 6 cavalry figures in a formation. Is the unit size of those formations a Brigade, or are they subdivisions of a Brigade? Sorry all of my experience is from 15mm Napoleonic gaming where Regiments tend to be the top end of the unit size and the smallest typical engaged units are Battalions or Companies.

Perhaps there is a unit organization translation from Napoleonic to US Civil War I am not aware of. Would a Regiment in Napoleonics be more as a Brigade in US Civil War? Please forgive my ignorance.

Later,
KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 6
RE: Even more Newb Questions - 6/20/2008 9:27:45 PM   
moose1999

The detailed combat in FOF is at brigade level, i.e. all the units you see are brigade-size.
You can split every brigade in two, if you so choose - with a little imagination you can call that splitting into regiments.
The little men you see is a graphical representation of the brigade strength. I believe 10 men/6 horses means the brigade is practically at full strength, but especially when playing as the south this will be a rare sight.
The max strength of a brigade is 3000 men for the Union, 4000 for the CSA. This number can be increased by one of the research upgrades - can't remember which one, though. The upgrade is only worth it for the union.
Enjoy the game!

regards,

Briny

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Even more Newb Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI