Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confused about Auxilaries

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Confused about Auxilaries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 12:55:56 AM   
Menser

Hey all,
I've read on these forums that up to four AR's at one base can improve the repair performance on up to 8 ships and improve the base rating 1 per AR (up to 4). What about the other Auxilaries .... someone mentioned only 2 AS's (or was it AD's) would help tup to 4 SS's (or DD's), I think. What would be the effects of all the Auxilaries. We really only get that there must be Adequate supply at the base and that the Auxilary in question has to have no fire or float damage and have less than 50% damage in order for it to work from the manual. Can anyone help clarify exactly what each Auxilary does and its secondary effects it has, if any? (i.e. How many ships seviced per turn?. How it effects the base its at?. What specific benifits it bequeaths?. What limitations they have? Any special rules or restrictions that apply to the particular class?)

"Alea iacta est." Caius Julius
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing." Emo Philips
"Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." Abbot Arnaud Amalric
Post #: 1
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 2:48:00 AM   
Gem35

In the "must read" threads there is one about repairing ships/ARs
Have a look at it.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Menser)
Post #: 2
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 4:18:51 AM   
Shark7

AS and AD types will help with reloading of torpedos in smaller ports, believe it still has to be size 6 or higher. AS loads submarines, AD loads destroyers. AFAIK these 2 types do not repair, only reload.

AE can be used for reloading ship guns in any port size 1 or greater, and even underway later in the game.

AO for underway refueling, no port stop necessary.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 3
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 4:24:48 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

AS and AD types will help with reloading of torpedos in smaller ports, believe it still has to be size 6 or higher. AS loads submarines, AD loads destroyers. AFAIK these 2 types do not repair, only reload.

AE can be used for reloading ship guns in any port size 1 or greater, and even underway later in the game.

AS and AD ships do help repair their respective ships classes and they can reload torps in at least port size 3, it may even be as small as port size 1 actually.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 5:28:32 AM   
Menser

Heya Gem,
Yes I read that thread and that's the main reason I am asking. It only deals with the supposed repair aspect of ships, but ..... do AS or AD's stack .... is it better to send only one of each type to your forward bases.  How many AGP's will be effective together? If we have 6 PT together will 1 AGP take care of them or will we need more? Will that AGP be subject to the 100 Foot rule or will it be treated as a normal ship?  Ect. .... see what I am getting at? We get so little info from the manual on Aux's that it seems criminal or a big disinformation campaigne. I just want it straitened out once and for all .... I read AE's are useful only in port till mid 44 after they are effective in Rep TF's ....was just wondering what other special rules apply to the Aux's.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 5
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 5:39:37 AM   
Gem35

one special aux ship(example, you have one AS ship @ Darwin and it can reload and replenish 100 submarine's torps) can handle infinate number of specific vessels.
Repairing them is another matter, maybe it can help repair up to 4 at a time, I'm not sure about the repair capabilities.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Menser)
Post #: 6
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 5:43:43 AM   
Gem35

I'll add that because subs and destroyers are relatively small ships, a larger port , say 6-7 or bigger can repair them fairly quickly and a port with a repair shipyard will do an even better job.
The large ships like Cvs and CAs/BBs take alot longer.
rock-paper-scissors folks.
Ship repairs can be weird, alot of die-rolls are involved and sometimes you get lucky sometimes it's painfully long.
Such is life in WitP-land.
Drink plenty of Beer and keep the Pizza delivery phone number close at hand.
Dontcha just love this game?

< Message edited by Gem35 -- 6/29/2008 5:49:51 AM >

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 7:03:51 AM   
Menser

Yes I do love this game .....picked it up about 4 months ago and have only recently Passsed the 1942 Dec 7th mark against the AI.... about 370 game turns now playing as the Allied. I have held the Japanese from the DEI .... They do not have Java or Sumatra ... Well they do hold everthing From Bankha and above ...... and all of Borneo except for Banjarassim they also have Mindano, Kendari and Macassa on Sulawesi. He also has Wewak to Sulamaua on New Ginea and The Bismark and Gilberts ....only Shortlands in the Solomans .....I think at this point he is doing a Turtle .... consolodating what he has and not advancing for 6 months now because Kaga, Hiyu, Soryu, Shokaku, Junyo and Hiyu are in Davy Jones locker. 923 Japanese ships sunk to my 192 ....Mostly to my holding North Luzon against the AI where I feel the whole tip of the spear revolves around... I still have Clark, Manila, Bataan and San Marcelino. Currently Prepping to take Tarawa, Kwajelien and Shortlands. I had absolutely refused to do a Sir Robin and lost a british BB and 2 CL's for my efforts along with all the Dutch navy mostly in the defence of Palembang which I still hold. I was using Force Z to hit Singapore and Balkipapan during bad weather on Bombardment missions,but had to give that up when he stationed Kaga and ts other elements in the Macasser strait).

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 8
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 10:09:57 AM   
histgamer

Menser if AE wasnt coming out soon I would say you should start a PBEM...

(in reply to Menser)
Post #: 9
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/29/2008 4:53:01 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

AS and AD ships do help repair their respective ships classes and they can reload torps in at least port size 3, it may even be as small as port size 1 actually.

Hmm, guess I learned something from this today then. Had no idea they could do repairs. On the port size thing I must have been confused. Could have sworn I tried it at a size 3 and didn't reload, but I'll give it another try this afternoon vs the AI. May have been a supply issue.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 10
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/30/2008 7:33:50 AM   
Bogo Mil

Does someone know, what the "respective ships" for AD are? They are called "destroyer tender", but they can reload torpedoes for all surface ships. Will they help everyone in repairs, or only destroyers?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/30/2008 9:48:24 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

In the "must read" threads there is one about repairing ships/ARs
Have a look at it.

I've just read this thread and in it there seemed to be some surprise that ships could repair a point or two of system damage at sea. Why!

I was in the RN for 14 years and I don'e ever remember (it was some time ago mind you) going to sea with a ship that was 100% fully operational and even if they did than equipement broke, which is reflected in the game. Radio here, pump there that sort of stuff. Ships do carry store, stores that are used to carry out 1st Line repairs so 1 or 2 system point of repair in a transit is not unlikely, in fact any ships company worth its salt would be a little Td off if they couldn't.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 12
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/30/2008 3:40:02 PM   
John Lansford

The auxiliaries will assist ports in repairing damaged ships:  AS repairs subs, AD repairs DD's and DE's (maybe other ships like PC's, SC's, etc too), and AGP's repair PT boats.  They assist the port by boosting the port's current value by 1 for those ships, and apply that bonus to two of their favored class.

The AR does the same thing for 4 ships, but increases the port value by 2.  I believe that the AR's port enhancement value stacks with the other auxiliaries, but I'm not certain about that.

I have found that the auxiliaries are next to useless in ports with shipyards, though.  The enhancement is wasted (don't think it increases a level 10 port any higher) and there's no need to have a ship that can rearm others in such a large port.  I put all my auxiliaries in ports without shipyards; I've got an AD, AS and AR right now in Vancouver (level 9 port) busily fixing a TF of cruisers and DD's down to SYS 5, at which point I'll put them either in Seattle or Pearl Harbor.

I also used an AR at Johnston Island to save USS Alabama, torpedoed three times off of Truk and got to Johnston Island with 93 flooding damage.  She's back to 75 after just two turns and should be seaworthy enough to go to Pearl in a week or so.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 13
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/30/2008 3:46:58 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

I've just read this thread and in it there seemed to be some surprise that ships could repair a point or two of system damage at sea. Why!

The surprise part comes that heavily damaged ships at sea can sometimes repair FASTER than in port...

For instance: i had some heavily damaged BBs from 7 Dec sail back to San Fran... they repaired more SYS damage in their cruise back (taking a week or two) than they did in the next two months in drydock at San Fran...

i've thought about sailing heavily damaged ships around for this purpose, but it seems too gamey for words...

EDIT: This was under ver 1.6xx - i haven't tried it under 1.8xx

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 6/30/2008 3:48:36 PM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 14
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 6/30/2008 11:46:20 PM   
Andvari

From the WitP Skripta Manual:

Tender Ships
- To succesfully operate, Reload / Repair Tenders must:
- Be located in hex with size 1+ Port.
- Have 0 Float / Fire damage.
- Have < 50 Sys damage.
- Have Operation Points remaining to perform their duties.
- Base they are in must have sufficient Supplies to perform their duites.

1. Mine Depots/Tenders (MLE)
                 - Reload Mines on SS, ML, DM ships.
         2. Destroyer Depots/Tenders (AD)
                 - Reload DD ammo & Torpedoes, help 2 DDs per turn repair (giving bonus = increasing Port size by 2).
         3. PT Boat Depots/Tenders (AGP)
                 - Reload PT ammo & Torpedoes, help 2 PTs per turn repair (giving bonus = increasing Port size by 2).
         4. Sub Depots/Tenders (AS)
                 - Reload Sub ammo & Torpedoes, help repair 2 Subs per turn repair (giving bonus = increasing Port size by 2).
         5. Ammunition (AE) Ships
                 - Reloads ship's non-Torpedo, non-Mine ammo.
                 - AE’s must have sufficient Supplies on board, which are consumed as they replenish friendly ships.
                 - Before 1945., AE can replenish ammo with effect < 60 (mostly 5” or smaller AA ammo) only if in same hex
                     as friendly Base with size 1+ Port.
                 - In 1945. or later, AE can replenishes ships At Sea and in same hex with AE that's in Replenishment TF.
         6. Repair (AR) Ships
                 - Help 4 ships (in same hex, in a Base) per turn repair (giving bonus = increasing Port size by 1).
                 - Up to 4 AR ships' effects of increasing Port size can stack (up to +4 to Port size).
         7. Amphibious Force Command (AGC) Ships
                 - Add bonus that minimizes damage / Disruption to Units when they unload over enemy occupied hex.
         8. Seaplane Tenders (AVD / AV) and Scout Cruisers (CS) Ships
        - Add Aviation Support for Float Planes, Float Fighters, and Patrol aircraft (seaplanes) at a Base in their hex.
                 - Other aircraft does not benefit from ther Support.
                 - Their Support is listed as “+ xx” to normal Aviation Support in Base.      
                 - Their effect is following:       - Japanese: Capacity + 10 - number of planes on board.
                                                    - Allied, with Durability > 12: Capacity + 18 - number of planes on board.
                                                    - Allied, with Durability =< 12: Capacity + 12 - number of planes on board.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 7/1/2008 7:01:03 AM   
bradfordkay

"help 2 PTs per turn repair" !!!

I rarely need my PTS repaired, unless you can find someway to reassemble all the splinters (which is usually all that Chez' ships leave of the PTs they fire upon).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Andvari)
Post #: 16
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 7/1/2008 9:48:13 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

The surprise part comes that heavily damaged ships at sea can sometimes repair FASTER than in port...

For instance: i had some heavily damaged BBs from 7 Dec sail back to San Fran... they repaired more SYS damage in their cruise back (taking a week or two) than they did in the next two months in drydock at San Fran...

i've thought about sailing heavily damaged ships around for this purpose, but it seems too gamey for words...

EDIT: This was under ver 1.6xx - i haven't tried it under 1.8xx

Now that is odd. Not noticed it myself but I'll try it. Would it work with the Japaneses or is it just the allies?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 17
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 7/1/2008 12:15:46 PM   
John Lansford

AD's will also reload torpedoes in cruisers; I've had British, Dutch and Aussie cruisers reload their torpedoes when at a port with an AD docked there.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 18
RE: Confused about Auxilaries - 7/1/2008 3:07:19 PM   
Charbroiled

Here is a very good list that Kid and Pry put together a long time ago. It was one of the first reference sheets I printed for WITP and I still refer to it today:

http://mathubert.free.fr/witp_files/Ship_Descriptions%20Final.doc

p.s. Thank You Kid & Pry!!

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Confused about Auxilaries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI