Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The most hardcore wargamer thing youve done.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The most hardcore wargamer thing youve done. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The most hardcore wargamer thing youve done. - 3/20/2002 6:32:05 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I was thinking about this earlier today.
I was gona post a poll but theirs far too many to list so Ill just ask.

If you make games and scenarios that doesnt count cause that would beat us all. Sorry.

What I think qualifies me is that I played the entire 1943-end of war campaign in 12' O clock high (excellent game btw)
If any of you have this game you can apprechiate this mammoth achivement.

Post #: 1
- 3/20/2002 8:03:42 AM   
NaKATPase

Hmmm...

Does playing the full three weeks of "Breakout Normandy" (AH)
count for anything?
Never did manange to play the whole 'Red Barricades' campaign game... :( (Anyone up for it? ;))

Other than that, probably this last winter break when I was home for less than three weeks, and managed to paint 300 zulus and 30 british in 25mm from start to finish....

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
- 3/20/2002 8:25:09 AM   
M4Jess

1984, Panama City Fla.

Game: Squad Leader (before ASL)

Scenario: None ( just live or die)

Map: all 20+ SL boards....(includes mail order boards)

OOB: Allied; Every British unit counter from SL through Anvil of Victory

OOB: German; Every unit counter from SL through Anvil of Victory

AAR: I died......................................:(

Of course I had about 300 tanks... 1200 Inf squads...150 Arty,

The German..( My best friend Don..) had a loot of Hvy's and lights..
I really hate him to this day....

On one point.. Don (till this day, will not let me use Allied rockets)

We play SPWAW once a week.. and he still wins.... Bastard

M4

Im making war, not trouble~

Post #: 3
- 3/20/2002 11:38:59 AM   
parusski

I can win this one hands down guys. I once pretended to have the flu the day before our family was to travel to Florida for a 7 day beach vacation. I did it for love-of SPWAW. I played as much as 12 hours per day the whole time. When my wife called the night before she was due to come home I offered to pay for a couple extra days-she refused saying she missed me. Well, maybe she did, but I am a HARDCORE gamer at heart. Beat that if you can.:D

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 4
- 3/20/2002 11:45:07 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I play wireless ghost recon in class.... I was failing Political Science 101 and had to work my ass off to catch back up

Playing games in 31 classes clocking 3 hours each.

It was well worth it.

Sorry I had to post 2

Post #: 5
- 3/20/2002 2:08:57 PM   
Bernie

I used to work as a computer magazine editor and one of the things some of the staff at the magazine were expected to do was review new software we were sent. There were about 10 of us who did the majority of the reviews and of those two of us were avid wargamers, myself and another editor named Tim. This was back in the days when SSI was churning out 3 or 4 war games a month and we'd get free copies of all of them shipped to us UPS on a regular basis. Tim and I always argued over which of us would get to play the "best" games and do the review. Most of the time it came down to whoever got to work and opened up the boxes first. Since I worked mostly from home, and only came in once a week to drop off copy and pick up new assignments, Tim got to most of the games first and I was left with the "dregs". Then I got sneaky... I asked the owner of the newsstand in our lobby if he'd accept some packages for us and when he agreed I bribed our UPS driver $20 to leave anything from SSI with the newsvendor. :D

Tim never [B]DID[/B] figure out how I always seemed to manage to get the SSI packages first after that.

Tim, if you're reading this, all's fair in love and war buddy! :D

What, me worry?

Post #: 6
- 3/23/2002 2:13:32 PM   
Bernie

That's it? :confused:

No other hard-core gamers on here?

What, me worry?

Post #: 7
- 3/23/2002 7:37:12 PM   
parusski

Bernie, we must be about the only real hardcore gamers here. Maybe that's why Matix did not sale as many MC's as anticipated.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 8
- 3/23/2002 8:39:39 PM   
John Galt

This is an interesting thread and has the potential for the hall of fame of threads IMHO. I always wondered how so many here can play so much. Any kind of other life at all, (a real job, family, etc.), cuts into our wargaming time. Could it be this board is populated by physically challenged trolls who are rarely let out of the attic? What else could it be? Parusski has provided one of the answers: The flu story. You gotta' love it. It is my contention that man was meant to live alone. (man in general, not you Parusski). The folks at Matrix have proved me right about that. Come on guys, come clean. Let's hear how you're doing it. :D

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt

Post #: 9
- 3/23/2002 9:07:56 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I got married so I could have a son so I could eventually have a wargame opponent that would play or else.

Well thats partially true but I don't think you guys will buy it.

I joined the army cause I thought board games didnt simulate combat well enough (actually I am not entirely sure that that is false).

I own virtually every product with the ASL logo on it (well I missed last module put out by MMP, hey I am getting old here eh cut me some slack hehe).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 10
- 3/23/2002 9:27:22 PM   
parusski

Les, we had similar plans. I had children for the same reason. I was so lucky. My first born son loved wargaming. He started with panzerblitz when he was 8(and always lost for some reason). We progressed to panzer leader, Squad Leader.....and now he is the master of board wargames. He is know 18 by the way. But his favorite game in the world is SPWAW.

Post #: 11
- 3/23/2002 9:55:10 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I am taking a risky approach with my son. By not making a fuss I am hoping he will like them eventually rather than avoid them cause dad wants him to heheh.
But he is just 8 now so I have to wait a bit longer.

On the up side he loves to read and is a bright kid in school.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 12
- 3/23/2002 11:11:15 PM   
Antonius

Does having about 30 PBEM games, a 1/3 of which are SPWAW, qualify me as a hard-core wargamer ?

BTW, never managed to end a BTR '43 game because I restarted every time a new patch was released !

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 13
- 3/23/2002 11:38:01 PM   
Kanon Fodder

My son turned out to be a Wargamer without any undue infuence from me.
:cool:

The only problem is I have now moved 300 miles away, so the only way I will ever get to play against him will be online or PBEM
:(

Post #: 14
Did Someone Say BTR? - 3/24/2002 12:02:45 AM   
Charles2222

Ah Antonius, the I-never-get-to-finish-anything-because-new-patches-keep-coming-out blues. I'm in the same boat with SPWAW. About a week ago, I decided to give BTR a real go, but how far that will go I know not. I finally decided that nobody is ever going to fix the freeze-ray problem, nor cares to, so I'm playing in the realm of imagination. I figure if the Allied AI automatically knows where all my active airfields, even in Germany, are, then I can use the freeze-ray and not feel bad about it. The good thing is that I can't get it to work all the time, though I would prefer it never happen.

I think the campaign kings like ourselves, are the ones who suffer the most for products made which are patched into oblivion. I fear I'll never 'really' be campaigning in CL until a couple of years after it's released, and if that keeps being the case with practically every game I buy, I'll probably just quit playing games altogether. If I have to go 2 years (or more in BTR's case) before I can settle down and try to play the entire campaign (and I only settle down in BTR's case because I've accepted that they'll never fix the most childish bug - although it being a bug that cropped up as a result of a 'patch' does make it a little less annoying), it seems like such a waste of time to play it. Imagine if we watched movies in this manner, how it would ruin the experience. The only thing gained, perhaps, is that you learn the system really well, as opposed to letting it sit a couple of years and then pretending it's the perfect product and getting well involved.

As far as hardcore wargaming goes, I suppose the best effort went into WIR. I played that through the historic level, both sides, maybe 3 or 4 times total, and then I played it the next highest level maybe twice, and then the expert level maybe 4 or 5 times. In my really looney wargaming days, I even went so far as to install it at work and plat it often at lunch, then save it and bring the save home, and continue on, only to be followed by saving that and bringing the save to work (actually that got to be a hassle after a while and I stopped playing at work, but it was fun just to see that you could do it. I suppose what killed the practice was that if you forgot to bring the disk from work with the save on it, then you couldn't play where you left off at home, and using 30-45 minutes on something else at work wasn't too difficult). On the flip side, though a fairly similar campaign-style game, I've never finished Pacific War. I think either UV or WITP will get some VERY serious attention from me.

On a side, sort of, wimp out note, I have the RGW game now, and I'm doing the waiting game, that is, I'm waiting for it to get to a good state for play after patches. Unfortunately, in a sense, it's easy to stay away from it, because once I got it, I couldn't figure out how to move the units, and the act of moving, though I could discern it pretty easily through a little hit-and-miss, doesn't seem like it's worth it until it's patched better. I'm trembling slightly at the prospect of getting something of a hand on PacWar after sitting it down for like three years, but adapting to that is child's play compared to RGW.

On a little reminiscing here. I suppose my fervor for games in the old days had a lot to do with not having the internet. There was little or no threat of 'waiting on patches' whether the game was satisfactory or not, and so you could more easily abandon yourself into playing campaigns a billion times without thought of how the next fix would make you want to start all over again. It makes play difficult to relate to when others are on a different version than you, and even should you dare finish it, you ought to feel something like a dope, because there's a newer version out, a version which may show that your victory was possibly only achieved because something fairly drastic was omitted in the version you played. For example, and don't ask me why it's this way, if you told me you completed a SPWAW WWII campaign in version 1, it would be fairly meaningless to me, because then I would say "But have you beaten the latest version?" I always take it as a given that the latest version is always the best, but ironically enough, with this being an SPWAW thread, SPWAW is one of them that I consider an exception to that rule, that is, unless the upcoming latest version is better then 6.1 (which I think is the best). Oh, can't you see a viscious cyle here?!

Post #: 15
- 3/24/2002 12:05:26 AM   
parusski

Les you are taking too great a risk. Now is the age and time to influence his little mind full of mush. Throw the dice and the boy.

Post #: 16
- 3/24/2002 1:00:56 AM   
Antonius

Charles_22

Now that is what I call campaigning :) You're right about patches and the net: I remember playing the long campaign in SP1 with every possible nation many times... probably because I didn't even know there were such things as patches. Nowadays I spend a lot of times hunting for patches, downloading them, upgrading, etc. As for SPWAW, I have been constantly keeping several versions in different folders so every new patch would not kill on-going PBEM games !

But without the web, I would never have been able to make plenty of new friends all around the world to play with. In my ASL days I was happy when I managed to play 2 games in any given month.

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 17
- 3/24/2002 1:01:19 AM   
Iñaki

My son is two years old now. When he was one year old I used to put him by my side, in his chair, while I played SP, Panzer General II and some others. He used to sleep about an hour or so while everything exploded all around us in the monitor. Is that a good or a bad simptome? Can I keep my hope of having a future rival here or do you think he will dedicate to something such dissapointing as being a lawyer or so?

Lepoan hartu ´ta segi aurrera

Post #: 18
- 3/24/2002 1:19:51 AM   
parusski

Iñaki you should keep your son right beside you. If he were ever to become something as sinister as a lawyer it will not be due to this. Becoming a lawyer is caused by mental disorder. No joke, it's in all the medical journals.

Post #: 19
- 3/24/2002 5:26:04 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iñaki
[B]My son is two years old now. When he was one year old I used to put him by my side, in his chair, while I played SP, Panzer General II and some others. He used to sleep about an hour or so while everything exploded all around us in the monitor. Is that a good or a bad simptome? Can I keep my hope of having a future rival here or do you think he will dedicate to something such dissapointing as being a lawyer or so? [/B][/QUOTE]

He might still end up a lawyer, but he's going to have some awesome courtroom maneuvers! ("Baliff! Fetch me my flamethrower! We'll get the truth from this witness yet!")

What, me worry?

Post #: 20
- 3/24/2002 7:25:25 AM   
Bing

"When my wife called the night before she was due to come home I offered to pay for a couple extra days-she refused saying she missed me. "

I divorced mine. Now have lots of time for wargaming.

Bing

Post #: 21
- 3/24/2002 7:56:11 AM   
ruxius

Hello Bing !
LOL , divorcing for SPWAW ?? You should surely win the ladder for SPWAW's hardcore ! :D :D !

My girlfriend finally NOW understands SPWAW IS a part of my life !
Simply !
My previously girlfriend gave me an unforgettable SP1 hotseat battle..I will never forget I played the italians against the USarmy (she ) ...a decisive victory..it was the first time she played SP
but also a blind monkey would have won that battle..I let she freely purchase her units..she took some shermans...I only had autoblindas at that time...

I had a decisive victory...just I won a psycological battle..I made her thinking I was dangerous..she didn't move her tanks..I saved the flags..I won...INCREDIBLE !

HEY ..I am speaking of SP1 ...a completely a different world from SPWAW as regards the Italians..you know ?

I am sure if ever I will be married son and wife will marry SPWAW
also !
:D :D :D

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 22
- 3/24/2002 8:25:41 AM   
Greg McCarty

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parusski
[B]I can win this one hands down guys. I once pretended to have the flu the day before our family was to travel to Florida for a 7 day beach vacation. I did it for love-of SPWAW. I played as much as 12 hours per day the whole time. When my wife called the night before she was due to come home I offered to pay for a couple extra days-she refused saying she missed me. Well, maybe she did, but I am a HARDCORE gamer at heart. Beat that if you can.:D [/B][/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------

:eek: Wow! Thats impressive. I get away with murder, in terms
of wargame time consumption. 10 and even 12 hours per day
on weekends are not unusual for me --if I'm in the mood. I live for gaming. (we're childless, unless you consider cats to be kids) But even I wouldn't have the 'nads' to try that one. Whooo!

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

Post #: 23
- 3/24/2002 9:00:05 AM   
Charles2222

Antonius:
quote:

In my ASL days I was happy when I managed to play 2 games in any given month.

Now I know why you say "always to the last man", but the phrase might more literally apply to me, as I never play except against the AI (with the exception of my Panzer Strike days when every weekend my friend and I would play on the same side and split points on the forces).

I bought a few war board-games before I made wargaming with the computer, and they were all too hopelessly complicated for me to master, as the plan was to get it down and then condense it for my brother. Instead I took the easy route and decided I'd rather play baseball and football card games. Ah, now there's a memory. My first job was at Taco Bell, and after we closed I'd be off in the office playing as the '75 Reds and so forth. If you ever got a Johnny Bench card in your burrito it was probably because of me. I can't be held accountable for any burritos that were laden with dice though.

ruxius:
quote:

LOL , divorcing for SPWAW ?? You should surely win the ladder for SPWAW's hardcore ! !

Maybe I have one better for you? How about playing WIR at work as I mentioned, but with a serious side-effect, and I think a lot of us know what I'm talking about. You know, the dark side of wargaming? The jokes about calling you Hitler and so forth when co-workers figure out what you're doing. Though I must admit I was reading WWII books at lunch for a considerable amount of time before WIR came around. Nowadays, one of them, a new guy, still calls me Hitler and he's never seen any of those WWII books (I'm into spiritual books these days), though he might've seen me on this forum once or twice, assuming he could figure out what it was about. I'm sure a number of us have such similar sad stories to tell.

I can't even think of one person at work who's asked me even the slightest thing about WWII in all these years, though they know I've been into it. I'll tell you something else kind of freaky. When the company sent me to orientation there were about 15-20 recently hired people in the class. They decided for everyone to state their name and what their favorite hobby was (and yes, I was naive). It came my turn and I told them my hobby was 'wargaming' and I of course stated that I was working with mainframe operations as job description. When I said 'wargaming' there was something of a hush in the room (this was back in '85). After the class this one lady who I judged was probably a scale or two in the social order over me, got pretty friendly with me and asked about how fascinating I seemed to be. It didn't dawn in me till afterwards that it appeared the class, and indeed the lady, had mistook my job at the company 'mainframe operations' and wargaming and lumped them together. It also occurred to me that since the movie Wargames was a pretty recent movie at the time (Wragmes made in '83), that they may had also thought I was talking about serious missile defense computing or something. Pretty wild, huh?

Post #: 24
- 3/24/2002 9:20:51 AM   
parusski

Greg, I developed the "nads" for getting out of a vacation after 18 years of marriage. My wife is not stupid, but she is somewhat at a loss as to the behavior and mindset of men.

Post #: 25
- 3/24/2002 9:53:15 AM   
Larry Holt

Anyone remember East Front by S&T? A mamoth paper wargame from the mid-70's (anyone born that far back other than me?) I had it laid out in my attic and played for months on end. I took an unaccompanied tour to German (left the wife back in the states) so it was just me for 2 years. It was laid out most of that time in my billets.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 26
- 3/24/2002 11:06:36 AM   
Bing

"LOL , divorcing for SPWAW ?? You should surely win the ladder for SPWAW's hardcore ! !"

As it turned out, she couldn't stand me when I was drinking ... and I couldn't stand her when I was sober. Just wasn't meant to be.

Bing

Post #: 27
- 3/24/2002 12:14:22 PM   
parusski

The competition is over. Bing is the clear winner. I conced defeat. I may have faked illness to avoid a family vacation- But ****, divorce. Way to go Bing.

Post #: 28
- 3/24/2002 9:15:09 PM   
Bing

Not sure this is a distinction I care to own, nevertheless there it is.

Hey - nobody tells ME when to take out the garbage.

Bing

Post #: 29
- 3/24/2002 9:40:22 PM   
ruxius

I am not able to translate properly the meaning of

"hey nobody tells me ...etc. ....garbage.."

Anyway I can say I firmly believe world HAS a SPWAW girl ready for each one of us.. :D !
Never stop looking for ...Bing !!!!!
:D

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The most hardcore wargamer thing youve done. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI