Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please explain "Withdraw & disband"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Please explain "Withdraw & disband" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please explain "Withdraw & disband" - 6/17/2002 8:18:10 PM   
MarkS

I don't understand the 'withdraw' and 'disband' airgroup options.

What are the pro's and con's of these options.

Looks to me like the withdrraw just combines similar aircraft.

Please help..................
Post #: 1
- 6/17/2002 8:58:46 PM   
Arkady

withdrawing - pilots are send out of war zone and aircrafts are distrubuted to another group within the base. When pilots are ready , the group will become avalaible again with the same pilots!

disbanding - both pilots and aircrafts are distributed to another group. After this computer will try rebuild the unit but with new pilots.

The unit can be avalaible 60 days after withdrawal and 90 days after disbanding.

See p.87

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 2
Roger, wilco - 6/17/2002 9:08:15 PM   
MarkS

Thanks Arkady!

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 3
- 6/17/2002 9:36:20 PM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arkady
[B]withdrawing - pilots are send out of war zone and aircrafts are distrubuted to another group within the base. When pilots are ready , the group will become avalaible again with the same pilots!

disbanding - both pilots and aircrafts are distributed to another group. After this computer will try rebuild the unit but with new pilots.

See p.87 [/B][/QUOTE]

Remember: [B]BOTH[/B] of these actions can only happen when there is at least one Squadron of the [B]SAME MODEL AIRCRAFT[/B] at the base you withdraw/disband at.

For example: Say you have a Squadron of P-39's that you want to pull out. At the same base, you have a Squadron of P-400s too. They're essentially the same plane, but they are different models of it. You must find a base with P-39s in it, transfer your group you want to lose over there, and then pull them out. You get the same thing with F4F's in too.

When I sent [I]Lexington[/I] back to Pearl after she was mauled early on, I stripped her of aircraft to base at Lunga. What I didn't realize was that VF-2 was flying F4F-3s, while my other groups were flying F4F-4s. Then I was stuck with the darn group when I wanted to withdraw it, because F4F-3s won't fold into F4F-4s, They are stuck in theater because I couldn't withdraw them, and you can't disband a Carrier A/G.

So now I let them get chewed up on Lunga as CAP until [I]Lexington[/I] returns (in 6 months...)

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 4
- 6/17/2002 9:43:35 PM   
Arkady

If you send your CV's back to Pearl, all aircrafts move into replacement pool! Pilots stay on carrier. If you need only planes and not pilots you don't need transfer groups from CV.

If I sending CVs to Pearl then they are without aircrafts anyway :p

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 5
- 6/17/2002 10:02:50 PM   
Admiral DadMan

I needed the pilots, as I short on both at the time.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 6
- 6/17/2002 10:34:23 PM   
Yamamoto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Admiral DadMan
[B]I needed the pilots.[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought the program automatically generated pilots whenever the number of planes in an airgroup exceeded the number of pilots in that group. I’ve never had a shortage in pilots. In fact, in one group I have way, way too many pilots ( version 1.0 ).

Yamamoto

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 7
- 6/17/2002 10:46:05 PM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yamamoto
[B]

I thought the program automatically generated pilots whenever the number of planes in an airgroup exceeded the number of pilots in that group. I’ve never had a shortage in pilots. In fact, in one group I have way, way too many pilots ( version 1.0 ).

Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]

I was under threat, and didn't have time to wait for a bunch of green horns, when I had an experienced group ready for revenge... :D

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 8
- 6/18/2002 1:31:43 AM   
Sabre21

This concept in game kinda bothered me too some. Usually when a unit disbands, some of the aircraft and pilots will be absorbed by similiar units to bring them to full strength, rarely overstrength though (in combat allowances are made for being up to around 120% strength). The remaining pilots and aircraft are put back into a pool basically with the pilots going to new assignments and the aircraft taken to a collection point for distribution or destruction.

Withdrawl though indicated that the unit with it's planes and pilots are moved from the current location to a rear area allowing them to rest or transition to new aircraft. If they are going to transition, there will be a few pilots and planes that remain behind to fill up similiar equipped squadrons. It's unlikely any of the planes or pilots would be left behind if the unit was being moved to another theater.

My 2 cents:)

Andy

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 9
- 6/18/2002 1:37:34 AM   
Hartmann

If you ask me, things would be less confusing if we had a "merge" button. It could be greyed out and only be clickable whenever the conditions apply. :)

Hartmann

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 10
- 6/18/2002 1:41:15 AM   
von Murrin

Good idea, Hartmann. :)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 11
- 6/18/2002 1:43:52 AM   
Sabre21

Yea...not a bad idea. I would like disband remove all the aircraft and put them in the pool. I don't like the idea that I can't do that unless a similiar equipped unit is co-located.

Andy

(in reply to MarkS)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Please explain "Withdraw & disband" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI