Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/18/2009 10:19:13 PM   
Jason Petho

Good day.

Jim (from the Blitz) and I created a PDF document that was included with the Project Blitzkrieg #1 disc for East Front that provided those interested with a brief summary of the campaign.

Would you be interested in something like this for the Modern Wars: Volume I? (At least for the Middle East portion)

Jason Petho

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 2:04:08 AM   
scottintacoma

Jason,

After just a quick view of the file, I would say yes.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 2
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 2:12:03 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Good day.

Jim (from the Blitz) and I created a PDF document that was included with the Project Blitzkrieg #1 disc for East Front that provided those interested with a brief summary of the campaign.

Would you be interested in something like this for the Modern Wars: Volume I? (At least for the Middle East portion)

Jason Petho

If it will further delay Modern wars significantly, then no I'm not interested.

Post #: 3
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 2:44:05 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

Surely!

I'd wager your average CS'er knows much about WWII, but very little about the various Arab/Israeli Wars.

A little hindsight would be cool.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 4
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 10:10:16 AM   
MrRoadrunner

If they are small enough files like the one you posted, like V22 Osprey, I think you could attach them here instead of delaying the release?

Maybe make a "sticky thread" spot where you add files for download (that by-pass) "official" upgrade or download restrictions?
Later you could add them to future updates that can be part of the official game folders?

Just a thought.

RR 

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 5
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 1:04:01 PM   
kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

If they are small enough files like the one you posted, like V22 Osprey, I think you could attach them here instead of delaying the release?

Maybe make a "sticky thread" spot where you add files for download (that by-pass) "official" upgrade or download restrictions?
Later you could add them to future updates that can be part of the official game folders?

Just a thought.

RR

I think this is an excellent idea.

In addition to historical background information, why not keep the game rules manual online too? You would be able to keep the information current, update it quickly as needed, and drive more folks to these forums?

Maybe make it SOP for all future game releases?

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 6
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 1:20:27 PM   
Geomitrak

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwest

... why not keep the game rules manual online too? You would be able to keep the information current, update it quickly as needed, and drive more folks to these forums?

Good idea!

And, for printed-out hard copies of the manual, provide replacement pages when things are altered, along with a version number for that page in the header or footer.

So, if something on page 71 has to be altered, a new page 71 is released with 'v2' printed at the top or bottom. This can then be easily inserted in a ring binder and the old page 71 discarded. Keep a list of updated pages so people can check they have the latest ones.

If its a large alteration that takes up more than one page, make it 71 and 71a so you maintain the page numbering from page 72 onwards.

Regards

Paul

(in reply to kool_kat)
Post #: 7
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 3:06:15 PM   
Jason Petho

All good ideas, gentlemen.

What about abolishing page numbers altogether and provide printable PDF's by section.

If a section is updated, the section is versioned, dated and replaced?

A TOC could be provided as an overview with the latest versioning and dates?

Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 6/19/2009 3:07:15 PM >

(in reply to Geomitrak)
Post #: 8
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 3:52:50 PM   
rich12545

That's an excellent idea.

Post #: 9
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 5:46:30 PM   
1925frank

I'm not so sure about doing away with pagination altogether.

If the manual is broken down into sections (which it is), I don't recall any one section being that long -- maybe 5 to 6 pages.  Even if a section is 12 pages, if you print it independently, it's not that large. 

What about pagination within the sections?  For example, page 1 of section 1 would be 1.1.  Page 10 of Section 5 would be 5.10.  If the sections are paginated separately, you can change one section (and its pagination) without it affecting the remainder of the manual.

I like pagination because it's the surest way to know you've got everything and that you've got everything in the intended order.

Edit: Come to think of it, the subsections are already broken down along that pattern, just not as part of the pagination.

< Message edited by 1925frank -- 6/19/2009 5:53:06 PM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 10
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 5:57:11 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

I'm not so sure about doing away with pagination altogether.

If the manual is broken down into sections (which it is), I don't recall any one section being that long -- maybe 5 to 6 pages.  Even if a section is 12 pages, if you print it independently, it's not that large. 

What about pagination within the sections?  For example, page 1 of section 1 would be 1.1.  Page 10 of Section 5 would be 5.10.  If the sections are paginated separately, you can change one section (and its pagination) without it affecting the remainder of the manual.

I like pagination because it's the surest way to know you've got everything and that you've got everything in the intended order.

The sections are already broken down into sub sections, for example;

Section 5.0 Combat (1 page)

Section 5.24 Terrain Types (covers 10 pages)

So maybe a 5.24-1 to 5.24-10 or something? In case there are further subsections of 5.24?

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 11
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 9:49:21 PM   
MrRoadrunner

I think we are on to something here?

Maybe something similar can be done with scenarios?
Only new or revised ones would be included in patches and upgrades.
It would surely keep the size of the downloads smaller?

Anyone who downloads the game (like for the first time) will have everything up to date. While the upgrade/update will be a much smaller file, of course?

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Post #: 12
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/19/2009 10:55:10 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

Anyone who downloads the game (like for the first time) will have everything up to date. While the upgrade/update will be a much smaller file, of course?

True, generally.

The catch comes with multiple updates and multiple download dates. The updates will still have to be cumulative to ensure someone who downloaded the 1.00 version can be compatible with someone who bought at the 1.02 version, and all playing at the 1.04 version.

Jason Petho

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 13
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/20/2009 2:14:53 AM   
Geomitrak

Yep, sections would work just as well as pages, as far as updating is concerned. Just as long as a record is kept of the latest versions. I know who can do that...Jason can ! He has way too much free time as it is!

Regards

Paul

Post #: 14
RE: Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question - 6/20/2009 2:17:17 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Geomitrak

Yep, sections would work just as well as pages, as far as updating is concerned. Just as long as a record is kept of the latest versions. I know who can do that...Jason can ! He has way too much free time as it is!

Regards

Paul

*laughs*

Pure evil.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Geomitrak)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Modern Wars: Volume I: Additional Information Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI