Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Odd, intermittent problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Odd, intermittent problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Odd, intermittent problem - 6/3/2002 11:26:58 PM   
tracer

This problem almost always occurs when I begin a battle against a certain PBEM opponent, but recently it happened a couple times in games versus other PBEM'ers. It also disappears after about the 2nd or 3rd turn.

After unzipping my opponent's files I'll launch SPWAW (v7.1); all looks okay until I move the mouse and the screen begins to scoll, then the game crashes to the desktop. If I reboot my computer, or unzip the files again and then reboot, the game will launch and allow me to play, but *certain* vehicles in my force will not appear onscreen (I can select, move and fire them, but no icon shows). In a current battle, all my Hetzers disappeared, in another all my trucks (UK, several different types) were gone. My installation of SPWAW runs flawlessly in solo and in 90+% of my PBEMs.

Since it happens most of the time with turns from one player I was thinking corrupt OOB file, but neither me nor my opponents are getting any security violations. I realize this is a tough/obscure problem, and its intermittent nature makes it even harder to nail down, but I'm out of ideas.

Jim NSB
Post #: 1
- 6/4/2002 12:20:38 AM   
Supervisor

Try deleting the steel.prf file and the holder.txt (if you have one) in the MatrixGames\SPWAW\save folder and then allow game to rebuild the steel.prf file. It may have an association issue between your settings and the opponents setting. Your opponent may be sending partially corrupted saves especially if it keeps coming from the same player. And your huntch about different OOB's may also be true, because they will not always flag a security violation, in your next PBEM send ask for the dates of his/hers OOB files within the MatrixGames\SPWAW folder and compare it to yours.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 2
- 6/4/2002 7:33:08 AM   
tracer

G,
I may just ask him to download the OOB set you posted in the MegaCampaign forum. Is that a virgin set, or does it have the 'official' (USMC flamethrower, Bulgarian flag) patches applied?

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 3
- 6/4/2002 8:28:03 AM   
Supervisor

The ones in Mega sub-forum are the virgin ones that were released with the official 7.1 final patch. The ones that you speak of with patches applied are not official yet, but I'm trying to get the updated latest set released as offical though.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 4
- 6/4/2002 7:47:16 PM   
tracer

I deleted the 'semi-official' patches after installing them, and the sticky containing them has disappeared. I think there were only 2 (US flamethrower and Bulgarian flag), but I could be forgetting something. Can someone post them again?

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 5
- 6/4/2002 7:56:06 PM   
Supervisor

They were still sitting in the OOB forum with stickies attached last night. I'll check and if not I'll email you with the latest unofficial updated ones. I just checked they are still in the OOB/OOB modification sub-forum with stickies.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 6
- 6/4/2002 9:37:50 PM   
tracer

Thanks...never thought of looking there (DOH!)

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 7
Corrupt LBM's? - 6/4/2002 10:28:38 PM   
tracer

Found some new info that may help solve my problem. I was scanning thru the LBMs in the Pic folder and noticed that many of the files look like the pictures below. I have 2 installations of SPWAW (7.1 & H2H) on different partitions and its the same situation in both, so my original conclusion of 'corrupt LBMs' is probably wrong. Maybe a problem with my display? (I'm using a Radeon 7500 vid card and DirectX 8.1)

[IMG]http://home.cfl.rr.com/lagoon/img/7504.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.cfl.rr.com/lagoon/img/7784.jpg[/IMG]

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 8
- 6/4/2002 10:31:01 PM   
tracer

Should also add that when my Hetzers disappeared I brought up the unit info screen on one of them and the picture looked like the above images.

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 9
- 6/5/2002 12:02:26 AM   
chief

Tracer: Just out of curiosity what Program are you opening the LBM in? Thanks in Advance:confused: :confused: :( :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 10
- 6/5/2002 12:04:09 AM   
Supervisor

Thanks for asking chief, I had been wondering that myself, as I've always wanted to program that would view that format.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 11
- 6/5/2002 12:12:53 AM   
chief

Gmenfan: Hey guy your welcomed....the reason I wondered I was always under the misaprehension that Hypersnap was one of the few programs you could do that in. Having tried other products in the past gave me picture results just like he shows????????I wonder ?

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 12
- 6/5/2002 2:18:47 AM   
tracer

Guys, the answer is right in the picture: IrfanView. Its freeware and you can get it almost anywhere; try here [URL=http://www.tucows.com/mmedia/preview/194967.html]http://www.tucows.com/mmedia/preview/194967.html[/URL]

Its fast, clean and opens pretty much any image format

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 13
- 6/5/2002 2:31:14 AM   
Supervisor

I saw the program title but never heard of it, thanks for the link.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 14
- 6/5/2002 2:36:48 AM   
tracer

IrfanView opens .lbm files fine:

[IMG]http://home.cfl.rr.com/lagoon/img/164.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://home.cfl.rr.com/lagoon/img/17.jpg[/IMG]

When you download it, just go into options-preferences and select all the formats you want it to open (LBM is on the list); hit OK and you're good to go.

And Chief, if you're looking for a simple screen capture program (free), try here:

[URL=http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/capture.htm]http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/capture.htm[/URL]

It doesn't do the 'special' captures necessary for getting SPWAW game shots, but it does desktop or window shots in a 'snap' :)

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 15
- 6/5/2002 4:19:37 AM   
Supervisor

At least you got the trouble lbm's to load I tried and got an IFF decoder error or something like that. But almost all others openend fine. Thanks again.

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Odd, intermittent problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI