Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battle of Brittain potential

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Battle of Brittain potential Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battle of Brittain potential - 7/23/2009 6:34:36 PM   
gwgardner

What I'm seeing in German attacks on the North Sea, in a game where the British AI have a naval presence in the North Sea, is:

1)100% success for a German air unit, air army or air division, to find a ship to attack
2)100% chance for a hit on a ship
3) 0% chance of the attacking air unit to take a loss after hitting the ship

This has been consistent over a couple of turns, with 8 German air units attacking the North Sea in mid October.

I'm not complaining about the dominance of the air units over the sea zone. If the UK has a lot of ships in the North Sea, then they are wide-open targets. That's good. I think a strong air presence SHOULD control a sea zone. However, shouldn't the losses to the air units be tweaked a bit? Anyone know the historical loss rates for sea zone attacks?

The AI needs to get it's air force into position to intercept my sea zone attackers. Does the AI do that? Can a human opponent even do that?

[This is so kewl because it has real potential for a Battle of Brittain style action. I tell you, this game has simply gotten beter and better. It has so much potential.]

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 7/23/2009 6:47:36 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/23/2009 7:22:24 PM   
Uxbridge

I must try this also. Did the Brits have any carriers there?

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/23/2009 8:28:01 PM   
gwgardner

I'd have to hit F12 and change the UK to human controlled, and that would ruin my game, so I just don't know. if I knew the names of the UK ships, I could tell you. I remember the Ark Royal.
One needed tweak is for the game to tell us non-naval-aficianodoes out here (there are a few like me) what the ship types are that are mentioned by name.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 3
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/23/2009 8:41:24 PM   
Uxbridge

I made 6 attacks on a British zone including 2 carriers. It produced 6 hits on the naval vessels for 2 damaged air planes in return. I will try to find more about it in the consts.csv.

But I'm leaving for holiday on saturday, so time is getting a bit short.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/23/2009 8:54:14 PM   
willgamer

My experience is taking hits on air units ~20%, dishing out hits to Brit ships ~80%.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 5
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/23/2009 9:02:33 PM   
gwgardner

Well then if both of you are seeing some hits on the air units, then my example was a random fluke. All the better. No tweak needed, I would assume.

As I said, this game just keeps looking better and better.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/24/2009 4:01:27 PM   
Mike Parker

I will make a halfway related comment.

In Europe at least (It was different in the Pacific), the presence of Land Based aircraft were both Devestating and of little real effect.  I say that because this is the major effect it had.

Land Based aircraft were so effective in their prosecution of naval assets (or at least the perception was it would be devestating) that naval operations in areas where the enemy had air superiority were almost NEVER undertaken, and when they were stealth was the primary operative word.  This is the primary reason why German Raiders based out of French ports were able to survive, because of the Axis air domination of those local waters.  Otherwise the Brits could have just patrolled right outside the ports.

With that said, if Uxbridges examples are correct a 3-1 ratio seems a bit much for game balance to me, regardless of history.  I am just doing this from memory but Naval repairs are running about 13-16pp per.. maybe subs are a lil cheaper?  Aircraft are 8+level*2 per step.  it seems if you experience 3-1 success on ships your going to bleed your opponent dry fairly quickly.  In fact I am not sure how the Commonwealth Navy will survive in 1940-early 1941 when the Axis air can devote everything but what is needed to subjugate Yugoslavia and Greece (two air armies probably) to clearing the sea areas around the UK.  The UK MUST put ships to see to prevent an invasion or even significant commerce raiders, whereas the Germans can bide their time.

I will have to check this out.  I admit somewhat ashamedly that I have not done a single air attack on a sea zone yet.. I have been too distracted by other things!

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 7
RE: Battle of Brittain potential - 7/24/2009 4:20:15 PM   
Plainian

Possibly changing the names in the relevant csv file might work? eg change Ark Royal to CV Ark Royal or Tirpitz to BB Tirpitz etc. A bit longwinded to do but an easy option rather than ask for coding changes?

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I'd have to hit F12 and change the UK to human controlled, and that would ruin my game, so I just don't know. if I knew the names of the UK ships, I could tell you. I remember the Ark Royal.
One needed tweak is for the game to tell us non-naval-aficianodoes out here (there are a few like me) what the ship types are that are mentioned by name.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Battle of Brittain potential Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI