Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this goes....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this goes.... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this goe... - 11/19/2021 10:32:42 PM   
Tanaka

I have 2 million resources in Hakodate and cannot for the life of me figure out why?

I read that bases next to one another across water (Ominato-Hakodate) will ferry between them so I figured nothing had to be done as far as transport?

Well when it seemed that was not happening so I started using transports to ferry across.

That is not even putting a dent in the resource pile. It almost feels like it is just going back to Hakodate.

Yes resource storage is turned off in Hakodate and on every base in Hokkaido.

So what gives? Why are resources piling up in Hakodate and not flowing through Ominato to the home islands?

I do have resource storage on in Shikuka but surely that is not effecting the reason as that base is on the most northern island? I do realize you do have to ship things from this island.

I hope I have been specific enough I don't know what other details to offer? Thanks for your support!

Has anyone else experienced this and have an answer?

Post #: 1
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 10:37:09 PM   
Q-Ball

You need to ship resources accross the strait. The fact that you are not making a dent in that pile is likely because you are not shipping enough, and the excess production is spoiling, as storage is maxxed-out. Hokkaido produces something like 20,000 Resource Points A DAY, so to keep up you need several convoys using both ports on Hokkaido there (Mururan the other one), and both ports on northern Honshu. You need at least 50 merchant ships doing this, probably more.

Put all your ships on it, and you'll start to see that go down

You need to do this, I bet you are low in the Home Islands. That, or you're pulling from further away than you need to

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 10:47:01 PM   
RangerJoe

I do believe, Alfred would know for sure and point to the part in the manual and/or a thread to show this, that the resources will travel only across water to water hexsides which does not occur for those two ports.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 3
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 10:54:26 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

You need to ship resources accross the strait. The fact that you are not making a dent in that pile is likely because you are not shipping enough, and the excess production is spoiling, as storage is maxxed-out. Hokkaido produces something like 20,000 Resource Points A DAY, so to keep up you need several convoys using both ports on Hokkaido there (Mururan the other one), and both ports on northern Honshu. You need at least 50 merchant ships doing this, probably more.

You need to do this, I bet you are low in the Home Islands. That, or you're pulling from further away than you need to

Ah thanks looks like we had the same question and the same confusion. I guess this is an exception to that rule?

https://www.matrixgames.com/FORUMS/tm.asp?m=4752220

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 11:10:46 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I do believe, Alfred would know for sure and point to the part in the manual and/or a thread to show this, that the resources will travel only across water to water hexsides which does not occur for those two ports.

That's right. Supplies and fuel and oil will not cross either. You're going to need a lot of shipping, between Hakodate and Ominato (and you need to build those ports to the max), Sapporo and Maizuru and others. I also ship from that one Southern port to Sendai and from Muroran to Hachinohe. You'll have a hard time keeping up with the production on Hokkaido.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 11:13:00 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Ah thanks looks like we had the same question and the same confusion. I guess this is an exception to that rule?

It's not an exception. Supply cannot cross two sea hexsides between ports and that's what there is between Hakodate and Ominato.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 6
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 11:15:43 PM   
Nomad

quote:

quote:

There is no exception, see BillBrowns screenshot in the thread you referenced and read the manual section 9.3.3.3, it is in the posting after BillBrowns screenshot and you will understand that there is no exception, just the program performing properly.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 7
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/19/2021 11:46:43 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

quote:

There is no exception, see BillBrowns screenshot in the thread you referenced and read the manual section 9.3.3.3, it is in the posting after BillBrowns screenshot and you will understand that there is no exception, just the program performing properly.

Not trying to argue with anyone here just discussing but what I am saying here is that if the manual says:

9.3.3.3 AUTOMATIC TRANSFER OF BULK CARGO BETWEEN ADJACENT PORTS
Bulk cargo (supplies, fuel, resources and oil) can be automatically transferred between friendly ports that are in adjacent hexes and separated by a hexside that is navigable by ships, including navigable river hexsides.

That it depends on the hexside placed to which you have to press F6 to see that allows or disallows and not the adjacency...I do understand that it is working properly and what I need to do now. Thanks!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 11/20/2021 12:01:02 AM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 8
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:03:18 AM   
geofflambert

Just watch the ships go from one port to the other. There is an intervening all sea hex they pass through. It doesn't qualify for port to port across one hexside. There are two.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 11/20/2021 12:11:16 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 9
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:07:20 AM   
geofflambert

Put another way the two ports do not, repeat do not, share a sea hexside. The trip straight from one to the other is prohibited except by aircraft. The two ports are two hexes from each other by sea.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 10
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:07:58 AM   
RangerJoe

Do you see the red line between the two ports? That is not navigable by ships . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 11
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:14:14 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Just watch the ships go from one port to the other. There is an intervening all sea hex they pass through. It doesn't qualify for port to port across one hexside. There are two.

Yes gotcha thanks

Post #: 12
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:50:36 AM   
Nomad

Here is a picture from google maps rotated to match the WitP map. As you can see, there is no direct patch from Hakodate and Ominato. TF go from Hakodate to the circle and then either to Amori or Ominato.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:55:03 AM   
Alpha77

Tanaka, you need urgently setup convois or may run out if RES, they need to be shipped...also ship fuel TO there or the HI will run out. Use tracker to check regional stockpiles I suggest..

Can ppl. try to post not so big pics please thanks.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 14
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 12:59:33 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Tanaka, you need urgently setup convois or may run out if RES, they need to be shipped...also ship fuel TO there or the HI will run out. Use tracker to check regional stockpiles I suggest..

I think you need a larger monitor.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 15
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 1:57:13 AM   
geofflambert

Something to keep in mind though, even if those two ports were connected in that way the amount of stuff crossing through there would be a trickle. If one base were starved for supply it likely would only receive a bare minimum that way and still be one step from starvation. Hokkaido produces vast amounts and only a tiny fraction would move through there that way.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 16
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 2:00:38 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

How's this?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 17
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 2:04:04 AM   
geofflambert

Or this?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 4:21:29 AM   
Ian R

It think it helps if you break up 9.3.3.3 from it's short narrative form to a case based presentation, with a series of conditions, examples, clarifications and cross references, incorporating a map reading/hot key tutorial in two stages.

Edit: There is one thing I am not 100% sure of - I have included a white, "all access" hexside in clarification 2 because it may be that overland movement on the valid supply path trumps cross water-hexside movement. Strictly speaking, they might/should both be occurring across a white hexside. Has anyone ever tested that?

quote:

Bulk cargo (supplies, fuel, resources and oil) can be automatically transferred between friendly
ports if, and only if, the following conditions are met:

[A] the ports are in adjacent hexes; and

[B](i)the ports are separated by a hexside that is navigable by ships; or

[B](ii) the ports are separated by a navigable river hexside.

Examples:

It is recommended that these examples be viewed with the F6 hotkey used to display hexside features, and also using the R and Y hotkeys to show road an rail links where mentioned.

1. Bulk cargo will move between Cebu and Baybay, but will not move between Cebu and Bacolod.

2. Bulk cargo will not move between Hakodate and Ominato.

3. In theory, bulk cargo will move from Fusan to Tsushima, and on to Fukuoka, but shipping it between Fusan and Shimonoseki will likely be more efficient.

4. Bulk cargo movement can occur between Matsuyama on Shikoku, and the three adjacent ports on Honshu and Kyushu, however Matsuyama has a rail link to Takamatsu, which has primary road links to Fukuyama and Okayama, on which such movement will likely be more efficient.

5. Samarinda & Balikpapan are separated by a navigable river hxside (purple) which can also be crossed by land unit, and contains a minor road. In game, oil tends to flow from the former to the latter, as although the bases can be built to the same size, Balikpapan has a higher stockpiling limit due to the size of its oil and refinery industries. It is unclear if in this situation both port-port bulk movement, and overland movement discussed in clarification 4 below, occur, but there is no reason to suggest overland movement subsumes the port-port movement.

Clarifications:

1. If there is only a blocked (red) hexside between the ports, this movement does not occur.

2. If there is a green or white (land movement) hexside between the ports, this movement does not occur, but overland movement may occur instead in that event, if the conditions for overland movement are met.

3. If there is a purple non-navigable river hexside between the ports, this movement does not occur, but overland movement may occur instead in that event, if the conditions for overland movement are met.

4. Overland movement of bulk cargo is the subject of case 9.2.2. In summary:

(a) If base A has a stockpile of bulk cargo; and

(b) Base B has a demand for bulk cargo; and

(c) There is a valid supply path between A & B; then

(d) Bulk cargo can, and possibly will, move from A to B to meet that demand; but

(e) Such movement is subject to attrition, to a maximum of 20%, and the formula for that has not been disclosed.

(f) the map reading exercise suggested in para 5 below shows the valid supply paths, and as should be obvious rails, followed by major roads, are the preferable route.

5. Supply (as opposed to fuel, resources and oil) also moves overland, and across rivers, radiating outwards from bases in lessening quantities, to ground units as opposed to bases. This movement is not the subject of this case- see case [15.1], but the range of its movement can be seen by right-clicking the Whitehorse base in Canada and then using the 5 hot key to show valid supply paths from that base. The effect of transportation links can be seen by right clicking the Edmonton base, then using the 5 hotkey. The effect of navigable rivers on this type of supply movement can be seen, on allied turn one of the campaign, by right clicking on the Kunming hex, and then observing how the supply radiation numbers decrease when crossing the Yangtze between Japanese Wuchang and Anking.

6. For absolute clarity, the "valid supply path" shown on map using the 5 hotkey is the supply path to land units; however, it is also the "valid supply path", where it runs from one base to another base, referred to in case 9.2.2, and in clarification 4(c) above.

7. The table in 9.3.3.3 sets out the maximum bulk movement, port to port, per day, and the numbers are not large. Even with two size 9 ports involved, the maximum amount of each cargo could be loaded in a small xAK or Tanker. The most you will ever see moved is 4500 supply/resources, or 900 fuel/oil. Port to port bulk cargo movement is only a minor supplement to proper shipping arrangements.

Material Maximum amount transferred per day
Supplies 500 x size of the smaller port
Resources 500 x size of the smaller port
Fuel 100 x size of the smaller port
Oil 100 x size of the smaller port

< Message edited by Ian R -- 11/20/2021 4:52:09 AM >

"I am Alfred"

Post #: 19
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 5:47:06 AM   
BBfanboy

Stuff flows automatically from Fusan to Fukuyama and vice versa thanks to the island base of Tsushima in the middle of the strait. Flow of supply is 500X (level of the smallest port) per turn. It may be necessary to set stockpiling and supply draw to keep the biggest port from sucking everything back to it!

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 1/18/2022 12:50:09 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 20
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 7:01:58 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Stuff flows automatically from Fusan to Fukuyama and vice versa thanks to the island base of Tsushima in the middle of the strait. Flow of supply is 50X (level of the smallest port) per turn. It may be necessary to set stockpiling and supply draw to keep the biggest port from sucking everything back to it!

Wait I have been transporting back and forth from Fusan to the home islands for no reason? Ugh I had no idea the island between them ferried things over...facepalm...

But if this is the case (which I never heard before) then you don't need to transport anything from China or to China if it all just flows to Fusan to the home islands and vice versa? This is huge!

So this obviously means you should set Fusan to draw supply I was afraid doing so would draw supply from other places in China?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 11/20/2021 7:15:44 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 7:08:11 AM   
Alpha77

This is new to me, I suspect only a bit supply/fuel might flow, but not the 10000s of tons one needs to transfer daily

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 22
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 7:26:15 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

It think it helps if you break up 9.3.3.3 from it's short narrative form to a case based presentation, with a series of conditions, examples, clarifications and cross references, incorporating a map reading/hot key tutorial in two stages.

Edit: There is one thing I am not 100% sure of - I have included a white, "all access" hexside in clarification 2 because it may be that overland movement on the valid supply path trumps cross water-hexside movement. Strictly speaking, they might/should both be occurring across a white hexside. Has anyone ever tested that?

quote:

Bulk cargo (supplies, fuel, resources and oil) can be automatically transferred between friendly
ports if, and only if, the following conditions are met:

[A] the ports are in adjacent hexes; and

[B](i)the ports are separated by a hexside that is navigable by ships; or

[B](ii) the ports are separated by a navigable river hexside.

Examples:

It is recommended that these examples be viewed with the F6 hotkey used to display hexside features, and also using the R and Y hotkeys to show road an rail links where mentioned.

1. Bulk cargo will move between Cebu and Baybay, but will not move between Cebu and Bacolod.

2. Bulk cargo will not move between Hakodate and Ominato.

3. In theory, bulk cargo will move from Fusan to Tsushima, and on to Fukuoka, but shipping it between Fusan and Shimonoseki will likely be more efficient.

4. Bulk cargo movement can occur between Matsuyama on Shikoku, and the three adjacent ports on Honshu and Kyushu, however Matsuyama has a rail link to Takamatsu, which has primary road links to Fukuyama and Okayama, on which such movement will likely be more efficient.

5. Samarinda & Balikpapan are separated by a navigable river hxside (purple) which can also be crossed by land unit, and contains a minor road. In game, oil tends to flow from the former to the latter, as although the bases can be built to the same size, Balikpapan has a higher stockpiling limit due to the size of its oil and refinery industries. It is unclear if in this situation both port-port bulk movement, and overland movement discussed in clarification 4 below, occur, but there is no reason to suggest overland movement subsumes the port-port movement.

Clarifications:

1. If there is only a blocked (red) hexside between the ports, this movement does not occur.

2. If there is a green or white (land movement) hexside between the ports, this movement does not occur, but overland movement may occur instead in that event, if the conditions for overland movement are met.

3. If there is a purple non-navigable river hexside between the ports, this movement does not occur, but overland movement may occur instead in that event, if the conditions for overland movement are met.

4. Overland movement of bulk cargo is the subject of case 9.2.2. In summary:

(a) If base A has a stockpile of bulk cargo; and

(b) Base B has a demand for bulk cargo; and

(c) There is a valid supply path between A & B; then

(d) Bulk cargo can, and possibly will, move from A to B to meet that demand; but

(e) Such movement is subject to attrition, to a maximum of 20%, and the formula for that has not been disclosed.

(f) the map reading exercise suggested in para 5 below shows the valid supply paths, and as should be obvious rails, followed by major roads, are the preferable route.

5. Supply (as opposed to fuel, resources and oil) also moves overland, and across rivers, radiating outwards from bases in lessening quantities, to ground units as opposed to bases. This movement is not the subject of this case- see case [15.1], but the range of its movement can be seen by right-clicking the Whitehorse base in Canada and then using the 5 hot key to show valid supply paths from that base. The effect of transportation links can be seen by right clicking the Edmonton base, then using the 5 hotkey. The effect of navigable rivers on this type of supply movement can be seen, on allied turn one of the campaign, by right clicking on the Kunming hex, and then observing how the supply radiation numbers decrease when crossing the Yangtze between Japanese Wuchang and Anking.

6. For absolute clarity, the "valid supply path" shown on map using the 5 hotkey is the supply path to land units; however, it is also the "valid supply path", where it runs from one base to another base, referred to in case 9.2.2, and in clarification 4(c) above.

7. The table in 9.3.3.3 sets out the maximum bulk movement, port to port, per day, and the numbers are not large. Even with two size 9 ports involved, the maximum amount of each cargo could be loaded in a small xAK or Tanker. The most you will ever see moved is 4500 supply/resources, or 900 fuel/oil. Port to port bulk cargo movement is only a minor supplement to proper shipping arrangements.

Wow impressive thanks

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 23
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 7:48:31 AM   
Maallon

quote:

I would like to highlight that part specifically.
This mechanic is mostly useful for supplying island chains, as you don't need to ferry supplies on every single island because of the mechanic. But otherwise it doesn't replace proper shipping.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 24
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 7:59:26 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maallon

quote:

This mechanic is mostly useful for supplying island chains, as you don't need to ferry supplies on every single island because of the mechanic. But otherwise it doesn't replace proper shipping.

Ok gotcha thanks so keep on shipping good to know...

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 25
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 11:52:28 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

This is new to me, I suspect only a bit supply/fuel might flow, but not the 10000s of tons one needs to transfer daily

Exactly! Same for Resources/Oil.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 26
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 11:54:55 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maallon

quote:

Ok gotcha thanks so keep on shipping good to know...

Thanks for finding the correct figure on maximum transfer.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 27
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/20/2021 10:34:55 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

Or this?

Duuuuude...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 28
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 11/21/2021 1:05:11 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

quote:

Or this?

Duuuuude...

A nice butterfly but should that not be centered?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 29
RE: First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this... - 1/17/2022 7:30:59 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

quote:

Or this?

Duuuuude...

A nice butterfly but should that not be centered?

What escort class ship is this?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> First Question Post Apocalypse...Let's see how this goes.... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI