Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

saburo sakai

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> saburo sakai Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
saburo sakai - 5/24/2002 9:10:53 PM   
zed

I just got the game and am amazed at the level of depth.
I started the Coral Sea Scenario as the Japanese, but was aghast to see Saburo Sakai :
1- flying a Claude a5m (he had flown zeros since June 1941)
2- stationed in Rabaul (since april he was assigned to Lae)
3- assigned to 2nd Daitai (is this a subdivision of kokutai?)
(it is 2nd Daitai of Tainan which sounds right).
Post #: 1
- 5/24/2002 10:37:22 PM   
cpt_Venomous

Apperently pilot placing is random check out this thread http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20012
Although I'd hate to see Saburo get killed flying one of those old
crates. Still good to hear that he made it into game. What skill level is he?

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 2
- 5/24/2002 11:55:56 PM   
dgaad

Yes you see but in this alternate history, Saburo made an ill advised attempt to seduce Admiral Yamaguchi's daughter. It was not ill-advised because she refused him, she didn't ;) , but it was ill-advised because the Admiral ultimately learned of it, and put him in an Army squadron.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 3
- 5/25/2002 1:42:38 AM   
cpt_Venomous

:D
werent Claudes only used by the IJN?

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 4
Re: saburo sakai - 5/25/2002 1:45:50 AM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zed
[B]I just got the game and am amazed at the level of depth.
I started the Coral Sea Scenario as the Japanese, but was aghast to see Saburo Sakai :
1- flying a Claude a5m (he had flown zeros since June 1941)
2- stationed in Rabaul (since april he was assigned to Lae)
3- assigned to 2nd Daitai (is this a subdivision of kokutai?)
(it is 2nd Daitai of Tainan which sounds right). [/B][/QUOTE]

That does it! I'm sending the game back!!

:)

Preacher

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 5
- 5/25/2002 2:20:37 AM   
Rich Dionne

Historical Pilot placing is not random; but of course, there could be some errors in the placement. There are over 1500 historical pilots currently in the database, which include about 470 historical aces; the rest of the required pilots are filled in by random generation.

2nd Daitai is indeed a sub-unit of Tainan Kokutai. At the end of April 42, the unit still had several Claude aircraft, although, as you say, Jed, Sakai was flying Zero's at this time. Starting in April, a portion of Tainan Kokutai did serve at Lae, but pilots regularly transferred back to Rabaul for rest and training of new pilots.

I'll take a look at the database Jed, and see what adjustment is necessary.

Regards,

Rich Dionne

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 6
- 5/25/2002 8:26:03 AM   
gunnergoz

Wow! What detail! Is Colin Kelly in there? Not that he's an ace, but it would be a nice tribute.

BTW and not to brag (well, maybe just a little) I have personally signed and commented aviation graphic prints from Pappy Boyington and George Gay...just shows how much I respect and feel we owe to those heroes and ordinary joes who gave so much for us.

Any other aviation/naval/trivia/thingie/ordnance collectors out there?

BTW and to stimulate conversation...I have the ships speed and distance indicator cover off the USS Bunker Hill lying around here somewhere...two different shades of gray paint on it and a brass placque marked something like "Bendix Instruments, USS Bunker Hill CV-13, 1943." I got it off the bridge of the old warhorse before she was (sob, choke) scrapped in the 70's.

Gosh, I'm gonna love this forum (If I don't get flammed off of it first).

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 7
- 5/25/2002 9:14:13 AM   
Rich Dionne

Awesome collectibles!

No, Colin Kelly, America's first aviation hero of World War II, isn't in the UV database, as he died shortly after Pearl Harbor over the Philippines. Maybe we'll add him in "War in the Pacific"... ;)

Regards,

Rich

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 8
Colin Kelly - 5/25/2002 11:55:17 AM   
Ron Saueracker

According to many AARs, wasn't Colin Kelly part of the design team resposible for B17 antiship accuracy?:rolleyes:

Just a widdlo USAAF jibe.:)

AND YES!!! John Wayne was full of CACA!!!:cool:

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 9
- 5/25/2002 12:05:22 PM   
Bosun

Ron
You're a funny guy.
Too bad Hollywood never cast J.W as a Mountie.
Who knows, maybe the IJN has rainbarrels on deck and the B-17's are dropping pickles. (Courtesy of the Norden bombsight P.R. hack.)

A WILLING FOE AND SEA ROOM...

ANONYMOUS

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 10
- 5/25/2002 2:36:14 PM   
worr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Dionne
[B]Historical Pilot placing is not random; but of course, there could be some errors in the placement. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, Rich!

I was told to corner you on this topic.

It does appear that the names of the aces are "somewhat" random. We have Bong, but not McGuire. We have O'Hare, Foss, and Thatch, but where is Charles MacDonald and Gerald Johnson? And the most famous FG in the SWPTO was the 475th Satan's Angles....431st, 432nd, 433rd squadrons.

Of course, that's a whole lot of names to type into an editor....when you might just have a program that can create this kind of thing far more quickly. Also it might not be a good project for this game...but for PAC WAR....it would be essential. If you need help....let me know.

We could even add Charles Linberg in for the 47th FG. He did have a confirmed kill with them. ;)

Worr, out

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 11
- 5/25/2002 2:39:33 PM   
worr

And no David McCampbell! :)

This guy was amazing....nine kills in one sortie. I'd love to see that one flash on the monitor in the late war.

Worr, out

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 12
- 5/25/2002 3:18:05 PM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by worr
[B].....

We could even add Charles Linberg in for the 47th FG. He did have a confirmed kill with them. ;)
[/B][/QUOTE]

Charles "I Like Hitler" Lindbergh? No kidding. I learn something here everyday.:)

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 13
- 5/25/2002 6:25:59 PM   
zed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Dionne
[B]2nd Daitai is indeed a sub-unit of Tainan Kokutai. At the end of April 42, the unit still had several Claude aircraft, although, as you say, Jed, Sakai was flying Zero's at this time. Starting in April, a portion of Tainan Kokutai did serve at Lae, but pilots regularly transferred back to Rabaul for rest and training of new pilots.

I'll take a look at the database Jed, and see what adjustment is necessary.

Regards,

Rich Dionne [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Rich, I see that it is E.Sakai, not S.Sakai. Also, from what I have read, the A5M Claudes were used strictly as trainers since before Pearl Harbor (sometime late summer). It shows E.Sakai w/ 47 kills, which must be the man. You have his wingman, Oda, pegged in a zero. I may try to edit the files myself.
Overall, I am amazed at the game, and that someone would responds to a concern is even more amazing. :)

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 14
E. Sakai? - 5/25/2002 8:36:59 PM   
Erik Rutins

There's also an S. Sakai in the database, seen him myself. When you use the find function in the editor to see if a particular historical pilot is in there, make sure that you return the selection bar to the top of the pilot list and enter the name in the F. Lastname format.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 15
David McCampbell - 5/25/2002 8:51:39 PM   
Ron Saueracker

During this period, I believe McCampbell was the LSO on the Wasp. Don't ask me how I know this, I think I'm a freak.:p

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 16
- 6/4/2002 7:01:16 PM   
zed

I spent an evening using the scenario editor trying to get S. Sakai
in a zero and flying missions. I was not successful. What does delay mean? Someone please give me the dope on how to.
Thanks

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 17
- 6/4/2002 7:18:27 PM   
Howard Mitchell

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zed
[B]

from what I have read, the A5M Claudes were used strictly as trainers since before Pearl Harbor (sometime late summer[/B][/QUOTE]

Some A5M4s did see combat post-Pearl Harbour. They were used against Davao in the Phillipines, and a detachment from the Chitose Kokutai under Lieut. Kurakane Yoshio fought against F4F-3s from the Enterprise at Taroa during the February 1942 carrier raid. Full details in John Lundstrom's 'The First Team', a very in-depth look at early war USN fighter units.

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 18
"The First Team" - 6/4/2002 8:10:22 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Just bought both books. Great reading and very in depth.

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 19
Delay... - 6/4/2002 8:45:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

The delay rating is the number of days from the start of the campaign before the unit/leader/pilot/ship arrives in theater.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 20
retry - 6/5/2002 12:54:23 AM   
zed

Coral Sea Scenario:
I tried again. I put delay to 000 and assigned him to f1/tainan
I loaded the game, he is not there. I flew a mission, checked again, he is not there. What am I doing wrong?

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 21
Re: E. Sakai? - 6/6/2002 9:36:18 AM   
tohoku

Hmmmm. What are Matrix using for the 'historical' lists for the Japanese pilots. Obviously there's lots of stuff in English on the Allied pilots, but...

tohoku
YMMV

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 22
- 6/6/2002 9:55:49 AM   
Rich Dionne

Yes, the Japanese pilots are quite a bit harder to find. One excellent source I used is "Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units in World War II" by Ikuhiko Hata and Yasuho Izawa.

Saburo Sakai is already in the database Zed, but there is a bug we are trying to correct for the first patch. For some reason, many of the historical pilots assigned to the various air units are not showing up when the game starts. Once the patch is out, this problem should disappear.

Regards,

Rich Dionne

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 23
superb scenarios - 6/6/2002 10:54:39 PM   
brisd

Thanks Rich for the hard work putting these scenarios together must have taken. I just ordered that Japanese Aces book you refer to, amongst other books I have gotten to add to my military history library.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 24
- 6/6/2002 11:09:37 PM   
zed

Yes, Rich, you have done an amazing job to make this game the best I have ever played. I am still stunned by the depth and realism.
I have developed a keen interest in Japanese pilots from these books:
Samurai - Saburo Sakai
Imperial Japanese Naval Aces 1937-1945 Sakaida
Japanese Army Air Force Aces 1937 1945 Sakaida
Mitsubishi Type I Rikko Betty Units of WW2 Tagaya

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 25
- 6/7/2002 8:42:07 AM   
Rich Dionne

Thanks Guys! :D

Rich

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> saburo sakai Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI