Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Great Game: Shame about the attitude

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A Great Game: Shame about the attitude Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 6:12:10 PM   
Didz

Having just read yet another legitimate issue slapped down by a Matrix employee I have to say that whilst UV is a great game the attitude of some of the Matrix staff on this forum leaves a lot to be desired.

I have lost track of the number of times a legitimate question or issue has been smacked down by a response of:

Read the Manual.
or
Thats because you don't understand the game.
or
Thats what really happened historically.

There is an element of arrogance about this that really irritates me.

Quite apart from the concept of 'the customers always right' which I do accept is not always the case. There are undoubtedly customers on this forum who have a great deal more knowledge of the history of this campaign than the game designers [myself excluded]. There may even be a few people who were actually there.

The other thing that shocked me was when I discovered that some of these responses were not only incorrect but were deliberately incorrect and intended merely to shut people up or worse to score points rather than deal with the issue.

I can understand why having your baby criticised by ungrateful punters can wrankle and put you on the defensive. But whilst this is a great game it does have a few issues that need to be addressed and treating your customers like ungrateful children doesn't do it, or, you any credit.

I am not an expert on WWII naval warfare and so I have tended to fight shy of locking swords with the designers of this game on historical issues but if this was a Napoleonic Game set in 1815 and someone tried to lecture me on history (as has happened in the past) I would tear them to shreds.

In closing I would like to specifically thank Mike Wood for his consistently courteous, diplomatic and accurate responses.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis
Post #: 1
- 6/11/2002 6:27:44 PM   
elmo3

OTOH I think the support by 2by3 and Matirx has been outstanding. They have been especially good at handling the few who keep hammering on a couple of issues apparently hoping the volume of repetitive posts will somehow convince the designers to change the game design to suit them.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 2
I think you need to unerstand.. - 6/11/2002 6:46:48 PM   
Philbill1

That the customer is always right is a good starting point.

However,how many companies offer the same level of service and support on a product as Matrix? There must be hundreds of different people posting on this forum all with different ideas/criticisms/suggestions which would make it difficult to please all or indeed give the right response all of the time. The fact that Matrix DO GIVE GREAT SUPPORT is something to be appreciated and admired IMHO. And just as importantly their responses are designed to help.Often an administrator of a forum can feel like they are constantly repeating themselves because people only read some of the posts which takes a degree of control not to display irritation.
Remember even Matrix staff are human afterall;)
This is a great game with great support. indeed the only danger facing Matrix is the number of divorces brought about by UV.
My wife says in 15 years she has never seen me play a game so much and believe me I have played all the wargames going back to the ZX Spectrum.I think that says it all:D
Phil

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 3
- 6/11/2002 6:53:39 PM   
Didz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmo3
[B]OTOH I think the support by 2by3 and Matirx has been outstanding. They have been especially good at handling the few who keep hammering on a couple of issues apparently hoping the volume of repetitive posts will somehow convince the designers to change the game design to suit them. [/B][/QUOTE]

OTOOH. As one of those guilty of having to hammer the same point repeatedly I would have to point out that I have found this necessary in order to breach the initial defensive attitude.

On the couple of occasions when Mike has responded you will notice that the issues are closed pretty quickly.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 4
- 6/11/2002 6:56:27 PM   
IMJennifer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmo3
[B]OTOH I think the support by 2by3 and Matirx has been outstanding. They have been especially good at handling the few who keep hammering on a couple of issues apparently hoping the volume of repetitive posts will somehow convince the designers to change the game design to suit them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

[1] This is an unusually complex game and you HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL. I believe Matrix has been very good at clarifying ambiguities and seeming inconsistencies, but they shouldn't be expected to restate what is clearly laid out in the manual. I feel Matrix has exhibited an unusual degree of patience and tact.

[2] "That's the way it was historically" seems to be right on. Making no claims to be an expert, I've read enough of the [I]primary sources[/I] to agree with them on all the issues I've seen. It would be too bad if changes were made in the game to suit some people's ideas of what was possible in 1942-43 at the expense of what seems a faithful attempt at historical reality. I should add that you play as the commander of a small, albeit important, area of a much larger theater in an even larger war effort. Decisions made in Washington and at Pearl regarding, for example, mine warfare resources may be frustrating but they are historical reality. By the way, people who find these external decision frustrating as the Allies should read some of the excellent histories of the Japanese high command -- a decision making process that borders on the surreal. :)

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 5
Re: I think you need to unerstand.. - 6/11/2002 6:58:40 PM   
Didz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Philbill1
[B]
My wife says in 15 years she has never seen me play a game so much and believe me I have played all the wargames going back to the ZX Spectrum.I think that says it all:D
Phil [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry! can't respond to this at the minute. My girlfriends coming round for lunch in half and hour and I must just get some more supplies through to Rennel before she arrives.

Hmm! perhaps I should shave and get dressed too:D

Nah!

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 6
Re: A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 7:09:38 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Didz
[B]Having just read yet another legitimate issue slapped down by a Matrix employee I have to say that whilst UV is a great game the attitude of some of the Matrix staff on this forum leaves a lot to be desired.

I have lost track of the number of times a legitimate question or issue has been smacked down by a response of:

Read the Manual.
or
Thats because you don't understand the game.
or
Thats what really happened historically.

There is an element of arrogance about this that really irritates me.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Didz

Your gameplay inputs & proposals are always very pertinent ... even if I do not agree with some of them :(

However, please take a look at some other editor's forums before attacking Matrix's staff. I have never seen a forum with so much inputs from the editor/developper !

So I would like to thank Matrix/2by3 for an outstanding support of the UV community :)

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 7
Re: Re: A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 7:22:09 PM   
Didz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spooky
[B]

Didz

Your gameplay inputs & proposals are always very pertinent ... even if I do not agree with some of them :(

However, please take a look at some other editor's forums before attacking Matrix's staff. I have never seen a forum with so much inputs from the editor/developper !

So I would like to thank Matrix/2by3 for an outstanding support of the UV community :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes! I'm sorry if I my initial posting gave the impression that I was disatisfied with the level of input from Matrix staff. As you say the level of input has been commendable.

The point I was tryng to make was that:

Just as UV is a great game with a few issues that need to be addressed. So too the input from Matrix staff has been excellent but needs to be a little more open and diplomatic in its content at times.

Likewise, I would like to add that my only motivation in raising any of these issues is a desire to improve what is already above average and not to detract from what is already a great game and an excellent service.

[Phew! that burned out a few brain cells, whats the betting as soon as I push the submit button I'll think of a better way of putting it.] :D

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 8
Re: Re: A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 8:00:26 PM   
vils

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spooky
[B]

I have never seen a forum with so much inputs from the editor/developper !

So I would like to thank Matrix/2by3 for an outstanding support of the UV community :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, take a look at Cyanide, the creators of Cycling-manager. They have the world record of participating support. That will be very hard to beat, as they released new patches as soon as anyone gnagged..

Also, they asked us what we would like and the implemented it within days..

Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 9
Re: Re: Re: A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 8:23:14 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vils
[B]

Well, take a look at Cyanide, the creators of Cycling-manager. They have the world record of participating support. That will be very hard to beat, as they released new patches as soon as anyone gnagged..

Also, they asked us what we would like and the implemented it within days.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, I do not know Cycling-Manager or Cyanide :(

However, I do believe that the posts from Didz, Dgaad, Hartmann, juliet7bravo ... and many other UV players give to the Matrix/2by3 team some very good ideas & suggestions in order to improve UV ... and WITP

Companies often use some focus groups in order to improve products - in a way, this forum is probably the best focus group Matrix/2by3 could have dreamed of :)

I am quite confident that Mike is now trying to implement as much as possible of these improvements in the next UV patches ... and in the future WIP !

Spooky

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 10
- 6/11/2002 8:35:10 PM   
WW2'er

Didz,

Really try to take a minute and put yourself in Matrix's shoes..........................................................................

You regularly put in 50-70+ hour work weeks for a game with no guarantee that you will see a return for your efforts (Let alone a healthy return). You go the extra mile by asking for input, responding on the forums and dealing with the occasional troublemakers. You do your best to balance your own wants, the designers plan, the customers' wishes, your knowledge of history, the programmer's lack of sleep, and the time and money available until release. Finnally, all the million and two details are completed and the game is out and finally returning some money! Now you still handle the trouble tickets and legitimate bugs and get ready for the patch. But what really gets to you? What just drives you nuts?.......It's the posters that "complain" by crying "FOUL!!!" as loud as they can without reading the manual or doing a search of the message board to learn about their "issue". The other thing that drives you insane is the few people who take issue with a minor part of the game and claim that the game is terribly inbalanced or "unplayable" as it is because this minute detail or game option isn't handled to their liking! Not only that, but they plaster it again and again on the message board so that new people think that there is this HUGE issue with the game and won't want to buy it!

Given this, I think the Matrix staff has been incredibly accomodating! Sometimes they do get a little gruff. David has even admitted that the "tone" of the question can sometimes dictate the response. In a perfect world, we would all respond with dignity and grace, but a perfect world this is NOT.

I try to remember that I will never like everything about any game. Until I am willing to give 110% of my effort, time, creativity and money to create a war game, I will not have the right to make all the decisions the way I think they should be made. "You can't please everyone all the time." Given all they have gone through to give us an excellent game, I applaud and salute the Matrix staff and am willing to cut them a little slack when they can get a little "snippy".

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 11
Re: A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 9:30:37 PM   
Beckles

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Didz
[B]There are undoubtedly customers on this forum who have a great deal more knowledge of the history of this campaign than the game designers [myself excluded].[/B][/QUOTE]

So you think there are folks here on the forum who know more about the campaign than Gary Grigsby (who has pretty much made a career out of designing historical wargames covering the WWII Pacific conflict)? I certainly wouldn't go out on that limb with you saying that about the "game designers" ...

That being said, even if someone in the forums is more knowledgable on stcitly the history, I'd have a hard time believing anyone in this forum is more knowlegable about what it takes to produce a computer wargame modeling the Pacific conflict as accurately as possible, given that sacrifices have to be made at some point in any wargame.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 12
I dont understand - 6/11/2002 10:01:39 PM   
Chiteng

Matrix isnt say Verant. Its just a few guys that like wargames.
You cant expect the same treatment. Its silly.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 13
Re: A Great Game: Shame about the attitude - 6/11/2002 10:32:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Didz,

We certainly welcome criticism and we try to do the best job we can to support our customers. While we're not a big outfit, the feedback we've gotten from most folks tells us that the quality of our support is generally considered quite high relative to most gaming companies.

I request that you elaborate on a few points below to hopefully make this criticism more constructive. While I respect that you feel the way you do, I haven't seen the same things you mention, so a bit more specificity would definitely help.

I should also note that from time to time one of us has been a bit more brusque than we should have been. For that I apologize. Like the pilots in UV, we need occasional rotation to reduce our fatigue or the chance of us crashing increases significantly.

[QUOTE][B]Having just read yet another legitimate issue slapped down by a Matrix employee I have to say that whilst UV is a great game the attitude of some of the Matrix staff on this forum leaves a lot to be desired.[/B][/QUOTE]

If you could describe a slap-down, it would be appreciated. As far as I've seen, we've been responding to all legitimate issues with fairness.

[QUOTE][B]Read the Manual. Thats because you don't understand the game. Thats what really happened historically. There is an element of arrogance about this that really irritates me.[/B][/QUOTE]

Now, if our entire reply consisted of RTFM, I could see your point. However, the vast majority of replies I've seen from Matrix Staff consist of an attempt to give constructive advice to the customer. At times, we also remind the customer that the information is in the manual.

Pointing out historical examples is also a valid non-smackdown response and practiced by many gamers in this forum as well. If we have a historical justification for a design decision, why would we not mention it?

All in all, the tone I see you repeating above and describing as irritating is one that I have not seen Matrix folks use. If I'm mistaken or if I'm blind, please give me some examples.

[QUOTE][B]The other thing that shocked me was when I discovered that some of these responses were not only incorrect but were deliberately incorrect and intended merely to shut people up or worse to score points rather than deal with the issue.[/B][/QUOTE]

Explain this statement, please. I am not aware of anyone "shutting people up" and ignoring real issues. The standard MO if someone brings up a valid bug or design question is to discuss it here first based on our understanding of the point through the development stage. If we are swayed by the discussion here, we discuss it in private and in the development forum. If an agreement is reached on a change, we add it to the patch request list. I don't see anything going on there except customer service.

[QUOTE][B]In closing I would like to specifically thank Mike Wood for his consistently courteous, diplomatic and accurate responses. [/B][/QUOTE]

We're always grateful when Mike posts since he's so deeply involved in the game programming. He often knows answers the rest of us will never know. However, he is also in charge of the patch programming and we have to keep him away from the boards if we ever want that to be finished! :) Nevertheless, I agree that Mike is a true gentleman (or at least hasn't hit high fatigue yet ;) ).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 14
- 6/11/2002 10:56:32 PM   
Didz

quote:

You regularly put in 50-70+ hour work weeks for a game with no guarantee that you will see a return for your efforts (Let alone a healthy return). You go the extra mile by asking for input, responding on the forums and dealing with the occasional troublemakers. You do your best to balance your own wants, the designers plan, the customers' wishes, your knowledge of history, the programmer's lack of sleep, and the time and money available until release. Finally, all the million and two details are completed and the game is out and finally returning some money! Now you still handle the trouble tickets and legitimate bugs and get ready for the patch. But what really gets to you? What just drives you nuts?.......It's the posters that "complain" by crying "FOUL!!!" as loud as they can without reading the manual or doing a search of the message board to learn about their "issue".

I think I appreciate this more than some as I am in a similar industry albeit on the commercial side of the fence. The point that’s missing here is that by implication the mere existence of this forum is a invitation for feedback from the customer base and whilst the design team will obviously be happy to receive pats on the back for a job well done the ultimate value on such a forum is to get back a critical appraisal of the product and gather additional customer requirements.

This is all very positive stuff and the fact that Matrix are doing so is a credit to them. However, it can be undermined if in the process of gathering this information you alienate your customer base.

quote:

The other thing that drives you insane is the few people who take issue with a minor part of the game and claim that the game is terribly inbalanced or "unplayable" as it is because this minute detail or game option isn't handled to their liking! Not only that, but they plaster it again and again on the message board so that new people think that there is this HUGE issue with the game and won't want to buy it!

As far as I am aware nobody on this forum certain not moi! has ever suggested that this game is either 'terribly inbalanced' or 'unplayable'. Certainly the issues of Turn Duration, TF Interdiction, Mine Warfare etc. are ones that need to be addressed to improve gameplay but the game is still perfectly playable and enjoyable in its current state.

I agree that because of the response when some of these issues were first raised, some people (myself included) have had to be quite assertive and persistent in order to get an acceptance that the problem we have identified is real and needs to be treated seriously. And I am equally concerned that as a result some of these issues have taken on the appearance of being far greater in importance than they really are.

Unfortunately, I like many others on this forum I don't take kindly to be patronised and told that the issue I have raised is only a problem because a) we haven't read the manual, b) we don't know how to play the game, or c) we don't understand the history. I'm afraid my natural reaction to this sort of answer is to keep coming back again and again until I get a more acceptable response rather than slinking off with my tail between my legs. I apologise if this is annoying to you or other forum members but unfortunately it’s a 'life choice' we all have to make.

quote:

Given this, I think the Matrix staff has been incredibly accommodating! Sometimes they do get a little gruff. David has even admitted that the "tone" of the question can sometimes dictate the response. In a perfect world, we would all respond with dignity and grace, but a perfect world this is NOT.

I would agree that so far the debates on this forum whilst sometimes protracted and intense have been courteous and avoided degenerating into the 'flame wars' I have witnessed elsewhere and I think that is a credit to everyone.
quote:

I try to remember that I will never like everything about any game. Until I am willing to give 110% of my effort, time, creativity and money to create a war game,

I wish I could spend my time, creativity and had the money to create a wargame. Unfortunately, I have to spend mine on less inspiring projects though I frequently find the lessons learnt wargaming extremely valuable. E.g. Always protect your rear and if you hear something large and loud heading in your direction DUCK!
;)

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 15
Wha--? - 6/12/2002 12:18:39 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

I can't believe this thread! Didz, what drugs have you been taking?

The only problem I see with this forum and Matrix responses is TOO MUCH democracy (OK, I say that jokingly, but only somewhat jokingly). Matrix employees showed, if anything, too much tolerance to various, often opposed ideas as to how their games should look like and how it all should be working.

Problem with niche market like wargames is that every player (or MOST of the players anyway) considers himself to be expert on the matter.

Geez... OK, so you think CV should be slower, or APs are too vulnerable or any other incredibly miniscule tidbit. Fine. So you voiced your opinion, and considering the fact that Matrix developers watch this forum closely, you may rest assured they saw your input. Now let them decide if that's worthy of being included in the game (patch or whatever) and go on with your life...

It's not like they consider their game to be perfect or anything - fer christs sake - the patch is in the works! So they DO support and improve this game as we speak, and whether they'll consider every tidbit as valuable and worthy of their consideration - I'm perfectly content to leave that matter to the developers.

I never saw more patient and understanding group of people than Matrix developers on this board. If it was me I'd be - with all due respect - swearing some of the more persistent and arrogant all "know all" posters left and right.

Oleg

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 16
- 6/12/2002 1:00:03 AM   
Joel Billings

I just want to tip my cap to Erik, Paul, Mike, Marc, Rich and David (I hope I didn't miss anyone). IMHO they have done an amazing job trying to help people while tracking problems and suggestions. I spent months trying to learn the details of the game from Gary when working on documentation and during testing, and I don't pretend to know close to everything that is going on inside the guts of the game (let alone the things that aren't going as they are supposed to). There is no one place to easily look up how every detail of the game is supposed to operate (yes the code, but I said easy place), yet these guys try to make sense of UV and pass along what they've figured out and what they've learned from others. The players of UV have passed along a lot of great information, but as is usual in an open forum, there's a lot of work in figuring out what's truly useful and important information, and these guys have been burning the midnight oil doing that. They're hard work not only helps UV players and helps make UV better through patches, it frees up Gary, Keith and I to work on new products, and for that I'm grateful.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 17
- 6/12/2002 2:11:45 AM   
jhdeerslayer

This is a sweet game and support from staff is way above average in my opinion. I think the passions involved come from trying to take an already great game and tweaking it further.

I respect all who have a professionally delivered opinion but on the otherhand you will drive yourself crazy trying to please everybody and making this game/support levels everything to everybody. Will never happen!

Congrats on a fine game and on-going support efforts.

Now quit reading these forums and get that patch out!:eek:

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 18
- 6/12/2002 4:05:44 AM   
Reiryc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WW2'er
[B]Didz,

Really try to take a minute and put yourself in Matrix's shoes..........................................................................

You regularly put in 50-70+ hour work weeks for a game with no guarantee that you will see a return for your efforts (Let alone a healthy return). You go the extra mile by asking for input, responding on the forums and dealing with the occasional troublemakers. You do your best to balance your own wants, the designers plan, the customers' wishes, your knowledge of history, the programmer's lack of sleep, and the time and money available until release. Finnally, all the million and two details are completed and the game is out and finally returning some money! Now you still handle the trouble tickets and legitimate bugs and get ready for the patch. But what really gets to you? What just drives you nuts?.......It's the posters that "complain" by crying "FOUL!!!" as loud as they can without reading the manual or doing a search of the message board to learn about their "issue". The other thing that drives you insane is the few people who take issue with a minor part of the game and claim that the game is terribly inbalanced or "unplayable" as it is because this minute detail or game option isn't handled to their liking! Not only that, but they plaster it again and again on the message board so that new people think that there is this HUGE issue with the game and won't want to buy it!

Given this, I think the Matrix staff has been incredibly accomodating! Sometimes they do get a little gruff. David has even admitted that the "tone" of the question can sometimes dictate the response. In a perfect world, we would all respond with dignity and grace, but a perfect world this is NOT.

I try to remember that I will never like everything about any game. Until I am willing to give 110% of my effort, time, creativity and money to create a war game, I will not have the right to make all the decisions the way I think they should be made. "You can't please everyone all the time." Given all they have gone through to give us an excellent game, I applaud and salute the Matrix staff and am willing to cut them a little slack when they can get a little "snippy". [/B][/QUOTE]

Very well said....

I get sick of the customer is always right attitude from the company's like walmart etc. My experience as being a customer and an owner of my own company is that the customer is almost never right. Unfortunately we have spawned an attitude that the expenditure of some money seems to have fostered a right to be lazy, annoying, and dishonest.

Reiryc

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 19
- 6/12/2002 4:13:39 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

Certainly the issues of Turn Duration, TF Interdiction, Mine Warfare etc. are ones that need to be addressed to improve gameplay but the game is still perfectly playable and enjoyable in its current state.

Classic quote...

No, the game does not *certainly* need these things to be addressed to improve game play. If that is your opinion, I respect that, but to display such an opinion as a certainty is purely false.

There was a poll done on turn length being shortned...over 70% responded that the turn length is fine the way it is. So why in the world would something like this 'certainly' have to be something to be changed?

quote:

I'm afraid my natural reaction to this sort of answer is to keep coming back again and again until I get a more acceptable response rather than slinking off with my tail between my legs. I apologise if this is annoying to you or other forum members but unfortunately it’s a 'life choice' we all have to make.

If you make such a 'life choice' then be a responsible adult and accept the consequences of acting in such a manner. Coming back over and over with your opinion does nothing more than show that regardless of whether or not people agree with it, you are going to do your best to ram it down our throats in the form of a gameplay change. Personally I wish the game makers/producers would cut loose with how they really feel with people when they act like this.

Reiryc

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 20
- 6/12/2002 4:36:41 AM   
Marc von Martial

Well,

at first I´m sorry if (only speaking of me here) some replies may sound "snooty" or "arrogant" but I´m not a native english speaker and might miss the tone the one or other time. But that´s definetly not intended.

You may also consider that we´re no gods here. There are allways people out there that know much more then the designers and developers, wether it´s historical "facts" (everything is discussable of course, just take two WW2 books on the same matter, you´ll find that a few historians agree ;) ) or hardware/software issues.

We make games yes, but we´re no allround computer technicans and defintly not the MS support hotline ;). Our main goal is to help where we can, between working on this and other projects, but some problems are hard to track down via the web. Ever tried to help a buddy out with his PC problems via the phone ?

Cheers

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 21
Very reasonable responsiveness - 6/12/2002 4:42:44 AM   
wpurdom

I have just started reading the posts while awaiting arrival of UV after having been a fan of Grisby precursors for years. I have been most impressed with the responsiveness of Matrix and their willingness to engage in lengthy explanations for the benefit of those who want them to tune up aspects of the game in just the way they want to. The responsiveness of their replies compare quite favorably with many of those raising the critiques. Those complaining seem to operate under the theory that if they are not agreed with, then it must be due to a lack of understanding to be cured by repeating the same point more loudly.
OTOH I do not want to take my criticism of the picky enthusiasts too far. Most of the arguments are worthy of consideration and they will generate some improvements to the game. But when the criticism is considered, it is a perfectly valid response that Matrix's proposed gaming solution gives a valid historical result more reliably and Matrix prefers that to a chancy, complicated proposal that may possibly reflect the physics of the operation better. After in some cases (e.g., mines) we are operating in severe ignorance and its probably best not to get too fancy. It's not Matrix that needs to look at attitude.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 22
It can't be true! - 6/12/2002 4:50:25 AM   
Sabre21

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]Well,

You may also consider that we´re no gods here.....

Say it ain't so....Gary Grigsby must be a GOD!!! Maybe the rest of ya are minor dieties...but not Gary:D

hehehe

Andy

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 23
- 6/12/2002 6:02:03 AM   
Mark Ezra

I believe I've been around Matrix people before there WAS a Matrix. These are gifted and tenacious wargamers who have given up much of their lives to produce some of the finest wargames ever produced with more on the drawing board. Have I ever seen them pissed over some question, comment, or debate over some element of the game. You bet. They go ballistic just about 1/10th of the times I do. Somebody has a question, gets "the wrong answer" and asked the question over and over again. Waiting and hoping for the "right answer", I expect. Is Matrix always right? Is any Game producer always right? Is Grigsby actually God?... No, No and Yes. There are very few game companies willing to create wargames. It is just way too demanding a task and the rewards are...well hopefully there are rewards for these brave few. The Matrix team do their best and respond to their customers suggestions and comments. If your particular suggestion isn't taken it certainly isn't because they didn't listen or didn't care. And if, after a number of try's to get your point across, someone speaks a bit brusk or stomps on your tiny ego, just chalk it up to human nature. Unless it's Grigsby...then you must submit and say "thank you sir, may I have another!

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 24
- 6/12/2002 7:50:51 AM   
Adam Parker

Gee I've held off for a while - especially on the "RTFM" thread.

1. For the record I've seen no "slapping down" of opinions here by the Matrix team.

2. The "RTFM" response of David I once saw was totally justifed. In that thread a gamer cried "bug" when no such beast existed. The manual simply had not been read properly. Even the title of that gamer's thread was puposefully misleading and vulgar.

I empathise with David's response on the basis that in these days of our dear internet, misinformation and mischief can quickly alter a buying decision.

After so much simultaneous griping as was evidenced on this site and against other game producers (HPS, Breakaway etc) on others, a little steam was due to be let off - and I believe prosepective buyers of UV saw that for exactly what it was.

I sincerely hope UV becomes a run-away success, as with the much hard-worked quality titles of other game houses. Some games may be duds but others gems. My goodness, for educational value alone this game is worth the purchase.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 25
- 6/12/2002 8:33:48 AM   
Nikademus

I've been around Matrix from near the beginning, (and consider my copy of Steel Panthers WAW version 1.0 a "collectors item" now :) )

As such i would have to say with honesty that i've never orbited around a wargame company that has so cattered to it's customer-base or listened to their input as much as Matrix has overall.

Even more importantly, i've never seen such a degree of "actual change" be implemented into the games in question after listening to said input as much as I"ve seen it here.

But i'm not going to jump on you Didz because i can understand the frustration. Part of the challenge, especially where wargames are concerned is that virtually everyone concerned is going to have a viewpoint, opinion or profer a certain angle on the way they feel "history" should pan out in these wargames.

Wargamers in general tend to be a ornary bunch to begin with. That makes it tough to please everyone, an objective which frankly is impossible to obtain. The Germans taking Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad all in the same campaign would be easier I think :)

I've had a few run-ins with fellow users who have at times, given me the impression they might be developers in disquise given how vehementantly they oppose even constructive critisism in the hopes of improving the game in question.....but never from one who wore the Matrix mantle.

Thats just my personal experience. Arguably the hottest controvsery and resistance i ever participated in was during the SPWAW transition from 6.1 to 7.0 to 7.1 with developers, testers, players alike all going at it over the controversial addition of "armor quality modifyers" Yet in the end, even during this period where tempers flared on all sides, Matrix still came through and implemented the modifications which (for the most part) satisfied all parties (I can only speak for myself of course, but i'm happy with the final product and i can be "anal" about the subject of that particular wargame :) ) I think Paul Vebber in particular deserved a medal for weathering the storm during that transition.

In my short time here on the UV board, i have seen little to nothing to change that opinion. A patch is forthcoming which will include some modifications based on some input I and other people have suggested. If that is'nt a sign of a responsive company I dont know what is.

Thats just my take on it.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 26
Re: Very reasonable responsiveness - 6/12/2002 9:57:57 AM   
Von_Frag

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wpurdom
[B]I have just started reading the posts while awaiting arrival of UV after having been a fan of Grisby precursors for years. I have been most impressed with the responsiveness of Matrix and their willingness to engage in lengthy explanations for the benefit of those who want them to tune up aspects of the game in just the way they want to. The responsiveness of their replies compare quite favorably with many of those raising the critiques. Those complaining seem to operate under the theory that if they are not agreed with, then it must be due to a lack of understanding to be cured by repeating the same point more loudly.
OTOH I do not want to take my criticism of the picky enthusiasts too far. Most of the arguments are worthy of consideration and they will generate some improvements to the game. But when the criticism is considered, it is a perfectly valid response that Matrix's proposed gaming solution gives a valid historical result more reliably and Matrix prefers that to a chancy, complicated proposal that may possibly reflect the physics of the operation better. After in some cases (e.g., mines) we are operating in severe ignorance and its probably best not to get too fancy. It's not Matrix that needs to look at attitude. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well said sir, well said.

I too have been guilty of nitt picking some things in the game. But let that not detract from my feelings that this is one of if not the finest wargame I have ever played. Some others seem to have more experience here, but I have never been on a discussion board where the developers were there to answer questions.

Frag

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 27
- 6/12/2002 1:17:57 PM   
Paul Dyer

Let me add my voice to the general tone of the replies here. I've also spent a non-trivial part of the last decade playing GG games, and am glad of the experience. IMHO the interaction of Matrix staff here is outstanding, and I cannot recall an issue where the response hasn't been either to acknowledge that they will work on an issue or else to provide a thought provoking counter argument. I think the basic model of listening to and interacting with clients is the right one - its a pity that this has to include the occaisional piece of crud that gets posted. For a small operation, in a difficult niche market, they're doing great.

Who would you rather see prosper - Matrix or Microsoft? Says it all really.

"It is also possible that blondes prefer gentlemen"

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 28
- 6/12/2002 1:19:04 PM   
Paul Dyer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Ezra
[B]Is Matrix always right? Is any Game producer always right? Is Grigsby actually God?... No, No and Yes. [/B][/QUOTE] .;)

"It is also possible that blondes prefer gentlemen"

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 29
- 6/12/2002 2:21:02 PM   
dgaad

I agree, I think I'm getting gypped on some of the altitude ratings too.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A Great Game: Shame about the attitude Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI