Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to load troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Unable to load troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to load troops - 7/2/2002 4:59:46 AM   
Gustaf

I formed an AP TF in Brisbane to carry the 7th Aus div comprised of an HQ, 3 INF BDE's and 1 MOT BDE. Trouble is, when I try to load these units they are not among my choices to load. What have I missed? The TF capacity is 20,000 and the units would total a bit over 17,000.

Thanks,
Gus

"Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time... Only thus can a weaker country cope with a stronger; it must make up in activity what it lacks in strength."
- General Thomas "S
Post #: 1
- 7/2/2002 5:06:15 AM   
Spooky

Australian units belonging to the Northern Command are "Home Defense" Units ... and so are not available for transportation by ships.

Spooky

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 2
- 7/2/2002 5:14:16 AM   
Sabre21

Thats true...but the 7th Australian is part of SWPAC and can be loaded. I usually move a brigade to Gili in a hurry when playing 19. As for not being able to load...I'm not sure what could be the problem...make sure you are using AP's (shift 3-4 for every brigade from Noumea)...the AK's in Brisbane won't load troops...thats about the only thing I can think of.

Andy

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 3
- 7/2/2002 5:16:43 AM   
segorn

Did you select a desination? If you load a division onto a transport and don't select a destination hex, it'll start unloading as soon as it finishes loading because it thinks it has arrived.

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 4
Re: Unable to load troops - 7/2/2002 5:26:52 AM   
Didz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gustaf
[B]Trouble is, when I try to load these units they are not among my choices to load. [/B][/QUOTE]

Gus, as you probably realise your question is causing some confusion.

Can you be more specific about what you mean when you say 'these units are not among my choices to load'.

The 7th Division are certainly able to be redeployed to New Guinea and were one of the first divisions I moved to Gilli Gilli.

I assume that the transport TF and the 7th are both based at Brisbane and that you are clicking on 'Load Troops' but the list of units that appears does not include those of the 7th Division you wanted to load.

Are you able to load any other units or are they all unavailable?

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 5
- 7/2/2002 6:30:49 AM   
carnifex

I know this is stupid but I had the same problem (except with IJN troops), but then I found out I wasn't scrolling to the bottom of the list.

Hope that the problem here :)

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 6
- 7/2/2002 7:26:46 AM   
Gustaf

I created my AP TF with a transport mission, targetted PM and then clicked on Load Troops. The ensuing window gave me other ground units at Brisbane as choices to load on my TF but not the units of the 7th Aus, which were my intent. These other units could be loaded as usual.

Just wondering why I didn't get the full list of those units shown to be at Brisbane.

Thanks,
Gus

"Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time... Only thus can a weaker country cope with a stronger; it must make up in activity what it lacks in strength."
- General Thomas "S

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 7
- 7/2/2002 7:47:42 AM   
Fred98

On a related issue, I have the following problem regularly:

For example, I have 4 transports with a capacity of 6,000 troops.

I start to load a number of units totalling 4,000 troops and receive a message that the transports are full – cannot load any more!

I read somewhere that 4 ships = a total of 4 units irrespective of the number of troops so I figured that was my problem.

As the transports were not full I decided to take some cargo on board. At which point the troops started to disembark.

So it seems that if you are carrying troops it is not possible to totally fill a transport. Am I missing something?

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 8
- 7/2/2002 7:55:16 AM   
mjk428

Hey Joe,

When you load troops, supplies will automatically be loaded to fill in the spaces. You did it right when you started to load troops but it does take time. Usually a few days. Higher level ports load/unload faster. Smaller capacity ships load/unload faster as well.

The most important thing is to remember to select a destination or after the transport fully loads it will automatically unload.

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 9
- 7/2/2002 8:14:10 AM   
segorn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]On a related issue, I have the following problem regularly:

For example, I have 4 transports with a capacity of 6,000 troops.

I start to load a number of units totalling 4,000 troops and receive a message that the transports are full – cannot load any more!

I read somewhere that 4 ships = a total of 4 units irrespective of the number of troops so I figured that was my problem.

As the transports were not full I decided to take some cargo on board. At which point the troops started to disembark.

So it seems that if you are carrying troops it is not possible to totally fill a transport. Am I missing something? [/B][/QUOTE]

The deal with units and ships is this:

Any given unit will be broken up into as many "ship sized" units as necessary to get it onto a collection of transports.

Example:

A Regment with a size 3,000 will be loaded as follows:

3 X 1000 Load Transports

1/Regiment on first transport (1000 load)
2/Regiment on second (1000 load)
3/Regiment on third (1000 load)

1X 1000 Transport and 1 X 2000 transport

1/Regiment on first transport (1000 load)
2/Regiment on second (2000 load)

A regiment can end up in > 1 transport.

*However* you cannot mix regiments on the same transport.

Thus putting a regiment on 3 transports is fine, but putting 3 regiments on one transport won't work even if there's space.

Example:

1 X AA Battalion Size 1000
1 X Base Force Size 2000

Will fit on:

3 X 1000 transport
1 X 1000 tranport and 1 X 2000 transport

will *not* fit on:

1 X 3000 transport (b/c troops from both regiments would have to share space on the same transport)

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 10
Re: Re: Unable to load troops - 7/2/2002 8:48:22 AM   
Kingfish

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Didz
[B]

Gus, as you probably realise your question is causing some confusion.

Can you be more specific about what you mean when you say 'these units are not among my choices to load'.

The 7th Division are certainly able to be redeployed to New Guinea and were one of the first divisions I moved to Gilli Gilli.

I assume that the transport TF and the 7th are both based at Brisbane and that you are clicking on 'Load Troops' but the list of units that appears does not include those of the 7th Division you wanted to load.

Are you able to load any other units or are they all unavailable? [/B][/QUOTE]

I just ran a test in the Coral Sea scenario. I created a TF composed of every Ap unit in Brisbaine (11 ships) w/ a total capacity of 23,000 points. Picking 'load troops' gives me the following units to choose from:

SWPAC HQ
46th Eng. Regt
197th Cst AA Regt
112th Base force

On the other hand, the Japanese are able to conduct landings at Gili Gili, Buna and Lunga in the same scenario.

What gives?

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 11
- 7/2/2002 11:05:04 AM   
bradfordkay

At the very beginning of the Coral Sea scenario (or any May 1 scenario) the combat troops in Brisbane all belong to Northern Command, which is slated for Australian Home Defense and therefore will not be shipped anywhere. You can march them to Townsville, Cairns, etc. In those bases in the north of Australia you wil find troops attached to New Guinea (?) command who are avialable to be loaded for New Guinea.

Unfortunately, you can't take your ships to those troops, load them and beat the Japanese to Gili Gili. I haven't yet tried to airlift them into Gili Gili (my most recent game started Aug 1). That might prevent the loss of that base.

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 12
- 7/2/2002 1:18:42 PM   
Didz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bradfordkay
[B]At the very beginning of the Coral Sea scenario (or any May 1 scenario) the combat troops in Brisbane all belong to Northern Command, which is slated for Australian Home Defense and therefore will not be shipped anywhere.[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh Right! So the composition of Northern Command varies from scenario to scenario. (Makes sense).

Presumably if you turned the historical settings off you would be able to ship Northern Commnad units off the mainland.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 13
- 7/2/2002 7:53:28 PM   
Gustaf

I don't have the setting on "Historical" and I still am unable to load the 7th Aus at Brisbane in scenario #1.

Sure could use them in NG ;)

Thanks,
Gus

- General Thomas "S

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 14
- 7/2/2002 8:20:30 PM   
Spooky

[B]I don't have the setting on "Historical" and I still am unable to load the 7th Aus at Brisbane in scenario #1.

Sure could use them in NG ;)

Thanks,
Gus [/B][/QUOTE]

Check just one thing : which HQ these units belong to in your scenario ?

If it is "Northern Command" then the problem is solved - these units cannot leave Australia ...

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 15
- 7/2/2002 8:25:30 PM   
Mark W Carver

I don't have the setting on "Historical" and I still am unable to load the 7th Aus at Brisbane in scenario #1.
[/QUOTE]

As Bradfordkay said...

The 7th Aussie's belong to Northern Command at the start of the Coral Sea scenario.

Northern Command forces cannot be moved off of Austrailia... thus you cannot load them.

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 16
- 7/2/2002 8:57:38 PM   
Gustaf

Thanks for the clarification guys :)

NG will just have to do without ;)

Gus

- General Thomas "S

(in reply to Gustaf)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Unable to load troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI