Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The "up/down" on bombing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The "up/down" on bombing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The "up/down" on bombing - 3/5/2010 6:38:33 PM   
Bondo16

Ok could someone give me the low down on planes and bombing heights for Japanese planes. I feel like Im not using the right levels for all my planes whether Dive,Level or Torpedo bombers. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve B
Post #: 1
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/5/2010 8:58:11 PM   
Local Yokel

Generally speaking, for level bombing attacks, the lower you aircraft's altitude the more accurately they bomb, but the more light flak is able to reach them. Think 10000 feet puts aircraft above most light flak, but you might care to check this by looking at range of light flak guns in the devices table for the scenario you are playing.

Dive bombers and torpedo bombers will by shot at by flak both during their approach and when they reach terminal altitude for their attack - think that's 200 feet for torpedo planes and 2000 feet for dive bombers. Assigning them a fairly high altitude will help to keep them clear of light flak during the approach, but they will still be exposed to light flak at the weapons release altitude to which they descend.

If you are mounting a sustained bombing attack on a particular target, vary your attack altitudes from day to day. Predictability assists the defender: if you repeatedly send bombers at the same height, he will know the optimum height level at which to concentrate his CAP. Splitting altitudes within a single raid may also help to confuse the defence, but has its dangers, particularly for vulnerable Japanese bombers.

HTH.

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 2
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/6/2010 3:58:00 AM   
jwilkerson

6000 is the favorite land target bombing altitude for level bombers.

For carrier bombers (dive or torpedo) attacking enemy carrier fleets - put everyone at 12,000 to 15,000 feet - all at the same altitude they will release ordnance at the approprite level automatically.

More complexity makes sense in some cases.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 3
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/11/2010 11:41:01 PM   
Alfred

There is also the issue as to whether you want to bomb in flights of 4 or 9 planes.  Set the altitude to 15K or less to bomb with 4 planes, above 15K to bomb with 9 planes.

Alfred

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/13/2010 5:27:12 PM   
Bondo16

Wow guys thanks! I had no clue on some of that info and have changed my game accordingly so again thank you

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/15/2010 4:04:45 PM   
Bondo16

How should I operate my sweep missions??

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 6
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/15/2010 5:28:41 PM   
jwilkerson

Set your fighters to sweep reduce their CAP percentage to 0% (there might be rare exceptions) and target the enemy base you want to sweep!

As to the altitude - either above 15,000 or below 15,000 - I usually use above - but not sure it matters.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 7
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/16/2010 1:22:14 AM   
flaggelant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

There is also the issue as to whether you want to bomb in flights of 4 or 9 planes.  Set the altitude to 15K or less to bomb with 4 planes, above 15K to bomb with 9 planes.

Alfred

dumb question, but whats best vs what?
more planes = more bombs = more hit chance?
or
lower alt. = higher accuray = more hit chance?

sounds like it can go either way? any way to tell which is best? (like one for naval, the other for land bombardments)??

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/17/2010 9:37:04 PM   
Bondo16

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Set your fighters to sweep reduce their CAP percentage to 0% (there might be rare exceptions) and target the enemy base you want to sweep!

As to the altitude - either above 15,000 or below 15,000 - I usually use above - but not sure it matters.

Ty You've been a big help!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/19/2010 12:48:17 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: flaggelant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

dumb question, but whats best vs what?
more planes = more bombs = more hit chance?
or
lower alt. = higher accuray = more hit chance?

sounds like it can go either way? any way to tell which is best? (like one for naval, the other for land bombardments)??

Not quite!

Basically the flight (either 4 or 9 planes) targets a ship in a hit or miss manner. Having more planes bomb does not improve the odds of hitting. However if you do hit, then having the bigger flight will result in more bombs landing on the target.

So the issue essentially comes down to this. Do you want a 9 plane flight continue to drop several bombs on an already mortally struck merchantman? Answer is probably no. On the other hand, a 9 plane flight dropping more bombs (than a 4 plane flight) on a well protected capital ship, is more likely to cause serious damage and capitalises on your opportunity.

Alfred

(in reply to flaggelant)
Post #: 10
RE: The "up/down" on bombing - 3/19/2010 6:09:13 PM   
flaggelant

siounds logical, in a way

so the "heavys" should be met with high strikes, whilst smaller ships (in this case including large merchants) can be engaged lower
this also sounds like a good thing to stay out of heavy AA (which the small ships dont have)

antoher day another lesson learned!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The "up/down" on bombing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI