Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. - 11/14/2011 11:09:26 AM   
Omnax

Hi, I just wanted to ask few questions. First and foremost.

When I use mousewheel for zooming, there is slight delay before screen zoom in or out. It really annoys me, because I like when things are responsive. Its just not instant as it should be.

Second, I have noticed that right after zooming in or out, textures goes sharp on planets and ships, but straight after they go blurred again, why is that?

And third, as I am new, will we ever get somewhat nicer and more usable UI? I am happy with the way games look, and do not need something spectacular to look at. But to me, UI is really awfull, not only look at but also to use and control.

Other then that, from first impressions nice game, just need more time to get into it and learn all the stuff.
Post #: 1
RE: Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. - 11/14/2011 12:43:38 PM   
Bingeling

Mousewheel zooming looks OK to me. It is not smooth, but it jerks between zoom levels. There is a tiny delay while the game calculates the new view (I guess). I agree on a slight delay, but it hardly annoys me at all.

I see no blurred textures. Check if you got some fun aliasing function or something messes things up (not sure if they even work in 2d, though). The only blurriness observed is the little blur as my eyes refocus after changing zoom.

The UI is not fancy or shiny, but functional. The one that annoys me is ship design, but that is because it is clunky and poorly supports common operations, not because it does not work.

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 11/14/2011 12:44:53 PM >

(in reply to Omnax)
Post #: 2
RE: Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. - 11/14/2011 12:56:35 PM   
Omnax

Well from what I have read, texture sharpness should be fixed in next expansion. Its also not a bit deal for me, just find it weird, that they are sharp just after zooming (in or out) but go fuzzy again just after that. Not a big deal.

However zooming delay (time it takes to zoom in or out, when you actually scroll wheel does piss me off alot), do not know why, but it really making me crazy :-). Would be great if someone found out a way how to improve it.

UI is really bad, sorry to say that. But, I believe that it could be better, I am sure people which are playing DW for a long time got use to it, but for me as newcomer, is really confusing, badly designed and feels very amateurish graphical wise. Which is strange, because I actually like look of the game itself. But if someone get complex game like this, good UI is very important to understand everything fast and easily.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. - 11/14/2011 1:09:09 PM   
ASHBERY76

A seemless zooming would require a 3D engine.The UI is fine in the expansion.There is no magical UI for a complex strategy game from my experience, it always takes a while to get used to it.

(in reply to Omnax)
Post #: 4
RE: Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. - 11/14/2011 2:58:09 PM   
Omnax

No you did not read my post, I am not talking about seemless zoom. I am talking about delay between actually using scroll wheel and screen zooming in or out. Delay, I am not talking that it jumps to different levels ands its not seemless.

Also, UI can use improvements. There is no magical UI you are right, but more complex game, better UI it needs, and DW has a lot of to improve in this area. As I ha said, most prolly you have got alot of experience, but for me as a new player, I can tell you UI is pretty hard to get used to.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Mouse Wheel Zoom, Sharpness, UI. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI