Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rocket attacks?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Rocket attacks? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rocket attacks? - 7/26/2010 2:29:38 AM   
ool

Just about to begin BTR. Question came to mind in regards to a flaw in the original BTR. Namely German twin engined fighters attacking with rockets were erroneously subjected to defensive fire from the B17's. Reading the records of these attacks the German fighters would launch from outside .50 cal range. Therefore they would avoid defensive fire from the bombers. Has this been corrected in this version?

Also can anyone suggest a plan for engine/parts production paths for German fighter development and existing production?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Post #: 1
RE: Rocket attacks? - 7/26/2010 1:53:31 PM   
Erkki

I think so. Sometimes, only sometimes, they take some returning fire(I think), but nearly always just single damaged ones.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 2
RE: Rocket attacks? - 7/26/2010 6:24:09 PM   
Derfel

The production plan depends on what you want to acheive and how fast.

I have tried to hit a balance with fighter vs. fighter- and fighter vs. bomber-production.

The Ta152C is a good choice for fighter vs. fighter, as it has a good mobility in the high altitudes, good weapons and a decent manauverability and durability.

A good fighter vs. bomber can be the Go229, but be prepared to invest a LOT of engines and time to get it operational. A solution is to keep the Me110R2/R3 in production. and keep it out of harms way :)

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 3
RE: Rocket attacks? - 8/3/2010 5:03:34 PM   
ool

Any of the development team going to give me a definitive answer to my question about the error re: twin engined Luftwaffe getting defensive fire while launching their rocket attacks?

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 4
RE: Rocket attacks? - 8/3/2010 6:18:24 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Initial rocket attacks are (in my experience) immune to defensive fire, after the initial attack, smaller groups 'might' close to fire rockets and be subject to defense fire but their attacks seem to be a lot harder hitting.

Hope this helps

EDIT -- It's not just the 2E ones, the 1E FW Sturm units and 190F/G have an identical attack profile. Even if you set them to bounce over direct attack they will shoot rockets on approach.

< Message edited by Rob Brennan UK -- 8/3/2010 6:19:41 PM >

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 5
RE: Rocket attacks? - 8/3/2010 7:16:33 PM   
Hard Sarge

sorry first time I seen the post

from what I understand, the rocket attack is not just a rocket attack, it is also the gun run following the firing of the rockets

also, where have you ever seen they were able to just lob the rockets in with out taking return fire, the 110 jockys hated the things (also that was the idea with the 50mm armmed models, you had to get too close to fire the 20mm/30mm's and the 110's were getting a little long in the tooth by then)

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 6
RE: Rocket attacks? - 8/3/2010 10:50:17 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

hi HS

I consistently see a unit firing rockets and taking no return damage at all, ok that doesnt mean that there is no return fire just very little effect. let me give an imagined example.

1) 30 410's approach an allied 4E heavy raid.
2) They 'seem' to launch rockets before the 'squares' quite merge, giving the impression that its a long range attack.
3) against a bomber box of say 20 planes then 20 410's launch leaving 10 still with ordinance.
4) 5 heavies are damaged and then 5 410's seem to peel off and attack again with rockets and then usually cannons.
5) at some later stage measured in game minutes the remaining 5 will launch rockets again and will definately recieve return fire with about 50% damaged and occasionally one going down in flames. In return for a 'usually' better attack than the initial 20 planes. thus giving the impression its closer range and more accurate for both sides.

I can't recall ever seeing a cannon run immediately after an initial rocket attack ,even on direct bomber. There are usually several other actions inbetween the rocket and cannon attacks.

this is ofc just my impresion.

TTFN

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: Rocket attacks? - 8/4/2010 8:46:36 PM   
ool

Actually it is a deadly catch 22 situation that the Germans used to employ. If the box of B17's kept tightly together to max defensive fire power the twin engined fighters would launch rockets well outside .50 cal range. To avoid rockets the box would loosen and the distance between bombers would greatly increase to allow maneuverability to avoid the rockets. If this happened the single engine fighters high above would bounce the scattered B17's. So the bomber jocks were caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Rockets or 109's/190's while scattered. Either way after the choice had been made and the rockets launched and the single fighters went in would the twin engined rocket launching planes go in. Source Adolf Galland's First and the Last. As well as excerpts from the Leftwaffe Diaries.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Rocket attacks? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI