Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Purchase comparisons for me in 2010

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 - 8/8/2010 2:24:27 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok a lot are potentially thinking 'what game to get'.

Matrix Games all by themselves have released no small sum of little wallet killers this year. And there is likely other companies out there eyeing your wallet too I suppose.

Me, this year, it has been brutal. Might have been easier on me if BBC BA had come out first :)

Close Combat Cross of Iron and Bulge were easy grabs when they went on sale. Normandy was a good purchase even if only a modest sale price. The most recent Arnhem title at full price wasn't the end of the world either, it's a good game.

Hey people have bought Starcraft 2, a game some call a pointless retread. But people like what they like. I like the Close Combat titles.

I also grabbed Command Ops Battles from the Bulge and the price was not an issue with me, I knew what I was getting. It wasn't some play to death in a month console game that cost the same price (console games routinely cost 75-80 bucks eh and are good for about a month). Regardless of a lot of sneering, plenty of people bought FF13.

I have NO regrets with what I bought (I've gotten a few Nintendo DS titles too such as T.A.C. Heroes The Big Red One). I have no beef with the money I spent (spent too much though I am finding :)).

But if any one wishes to know, I have not really gotten around to my CC titles much yet.
Have not played my Command Ops a lot yet. And even don't use my DS a lot for that matter.

And I likely would have not bothered with the above list at all if BBC BA had beaten them to my wallet.
Not that I would have stopped wanting them, but, I'd be too busy to need them.

The key detail here, is I plan to play BBC BA to death for a good long while. Maybe indefinitely. If the opponents are there, I'll be sure wanting to play them.

Great games get played..... a lot.

The only competition currently for BBC BA will be Civilization V, and I am not sure my computer will even run it at this time. I might be outta luck till next spring.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
RE: Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 - 8/8/2010 10:54:19 PM   
Rosseau

Interesting. My buying habits are similar, but I'm a worse addict. Distant Worlds and BftB are going to have to wait because they are so deep. Arnhem I jumped right into, but will not buy another CC. Too much of the same.

But yes, BA was so nice to jump right in, mod a bit, and discover a new love.

Slitherine has come a long way from Commander Napoleon.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
RE: Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 - 8/9/2010 4:02:37 AM   
gijas17

For me its Star Ruler by blind mind studios... pre-ordered this last week and hopefully its as promisng as it sounds. For Matrix games it has been a very expensive year for me since purchasing Distant Worlds - love that game a lot and dont regret it one bit. Its just huge and has several mods already out like Star Trek and Star Wars mods. Bought Armada also which is a decent 4x'r but needs some work and kind of wish I had forgot about this after playing DW. War Between the States was another purchase and will take some time to get it all down... maybe this winter when I have more time. Other non Matrix games I might buy include Civ 5, RUSE, and Maybe BA (which is Matrix) but need to save for this one.

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 - 8/9/2010 9:25:47 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

The only competition currently for BBC BA will be Civilization V,

These aren't even remotely the same, so I'm not sure how much it counts as competition.  Also, Firaxis' reputation for fixing bugs is going the way of Paradox the last few years.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 4
RE: Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 - 8/9/2010 12:18:37 PM   
ezzler

I have Armada sitting around and wished I'd waited for distant worlds too. War between the states is also waiting for some unspecified time to boot it up.

Currently, Rome gold and HPS sealion are getting the time,X com Apocalypse on dosbox along with Toy Soldiers on Xbox live, which is a blast.

Mafia 2, Civ 5, Victoria 2 and that master of magic remake are all out soon. WIF is the only set in stone purchase, but that won't be until..2018?.
Rise of Flight is causing interest too, and bringing up the rear, but might still get a look, are BBC BA and Gettysburg.

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 5
RE: Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 - 8/9/2010 2:40:48 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

quote:

The only competition currently for BBC BA will be Civilization V,

These aren't even remotely the same, so I'm not sure how much it counts as competition.  Also, Firaxis' reputation for fixing bugs is going the way of Paradox the last few years.

It comes down to a vote of dark chocolate vs milk chocolate for me.

It's a standard rule of thumb with me certain conditions always prevail.

Multi player BBC BA will trump Civ V solo, Civ V multi player is a 50/50 for me.

And ASL trumps even great sex :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Purchase comparisons for me in 2010 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI