Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Netherlands: How the heck did I win??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> After Action Reports >> Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/1/2011 12:26:38 AM   
gravyface_

So I'm just about to secede defeat for the 2nd straight time as Germany playing the Netherland scenario. I had 15 points in the 17th turn, which I ended thinking I would have a total of 18 after taking Amsterdam and Haarlem, 4 points short of the 22 required for Victory... or so I thought.

I hit End Turn, and lo and behold, I win!

Ummm... what?

Victory screens that follow say:
- Dutch base morale hit 40
- something about "25 VP"
- "GER losses are 5%, this gives 25 PP" ...ok then.
- All added VP... final score is.. wait, 10 PP?
Post #: 1
RE: Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/1/2011 7:52:27 AM   
spelk

If you demoralise the Dutch, they concede control to the Germans. Regardless of VP gains.

Usually this can be done by Terror Bombing their cities and dropping Fallschirmjäger (Paratroopers) behind their lines by using the Action Cards.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 2
RE: Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/1/2011 10:23:49 PM   
gravyface_

Oh, so basically that card plays as guaranteed win? I have to go back now; feel pretty cheap about playing that.

In other news... I suck! Seriously, is this scenario supposed to be hard? I got the impression that it was supposed to be easy (as it was historically). Not that I don't like a challenge, but I just can't seem to move quickly enough (and I left a lot of pockets of resistance behind).

(in reply to spelk)
Post #: 3
RE: Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/1/2011 11:17:01 PM   
spelk

I did an AAR on the Scenario as the Germans, without using the Action Cards. Take a look.
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?page_id=1123

Basically the use of the Action cards represents the historical factors that caused the swift victory. If you use those cards properly and drop your paratroopers in the appropriate place I think it's easily winnable. If you dont, you have quite a struggle on in the time allotted.

You could boost the German time allowed for Victory, by using the modifiers upon game setup. Or you can tweak the Dutch into a stiffer defense, I think.

I've played it from both sides, and playing the Dutch, you're conducting a spoiling campaign, of bridge blowing and inundating the Polderlands to slow the German movement westwards. Leaving units in key choke points builds their entrenchment to high levels which also stifles the German Blitzkrieg. Its a very interesting scenario and one which I've got a lot of enjoyment from.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 4
RE: Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/2/2011 1:05:26 AM   
gravyface_

Just read your "The Secrets to Operational Gaming" and wow. Nail, meet hammer. Describes exactly how I've felt about op-level wargames. I thought I was just being lazy to learn and/or blamed it on lack of gaming time, but it's quite daunting looking at those massive Steppes rolling out to eternity; I usually get two or three turns into it and give up.

I thought of a feature that would work well in any reasonably complex wargame: the ability to "paint" your lines of advance on the map (think Google Maps and the custom point-to-point drawing interface) that are color-coded to your HQ's colors and snap to cities on the map.

So say I want My X Corps to advance along the lines of Bokstel, S'Herto., Waalwijk, and Moerdijk. On the first turn, I could click the HQ, click the "Draw lines of advance" pencil icon and plot out the lines of advance I foresee my Corps taking, just as the Army/Army Group command staff would do with grease pencils before the operation commenced. This would obviously have no impact on the actual unit mechanics; it's merely a visual aide just as a commander's operational map would've been when issuing orders.

This of course could be hidden from the main map as required with a toggle button and/or edited at any time during a turn if/when the operational strategy has changed.

This would work quite well to bring to life your "top down, bottom up" idea and would be quite useful for AARs (no longer would you have to edit screenshots in Photoshop).

Thoughts?

(in reply to spelk)
Post #: 5
RE: Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/2/2011 2:02:43 PM   
spelk

Sounds like a great idea to me! I guess the ones you have to convince are the game devs, and whether such an aide memoire feature would be worth the coding effort.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 6
RE: Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? - 3/2/2011 2:50:19 PM   
Keunert

yes thats a great idea. during my military service i was once the map painter, learned all the signs. this would give us a 'Feldmarschall' feeling.

(in reply to spelk)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> After Action Reports >> Netherlands: How the heck did I win?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI