Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI - 5/1/2011 3:41:07 PM   
Redmarkus5

This is a report on a quick test of version 1.04 versus the Soviet AI on normal. I have played up to turn 21 so far. (Note - the black line on the map is the historical Dec 41 front line which I use to compare my actual vs. historical. It is not yet Dec in the game).

Overall, the game has been quite satisfying, although I am now finding the Soviet opponent a bit too easy to beat even with a beer and pretzels approach to my game play. The right balance might be somewhere between the initial release and where it is now, but the general improvements to the game are impressive.

My main observations:

1. The AI does a goo job of maintaining its defensive line, using river lines very effectively, and makes moves to cut off spearheads.

2. The AI is less focused on avoiding pockets (or I am better at creating them) and once pocketed it seems to take a bit longer to eliminate the remaining units. I had some Soviet units still up by the Romanian border on turn 12, and after I surrounded Moscow the Soviet units still had decent CV values after 3 turns. Much improved here.

3. The AI now garrisons its cities, but once they are threatened with encirclement the garrisons invariably flee, even if they can only move 1 hex and remain pocketed. There seems to a be a prioritisation of keeping lines of supply open over holding urban terrain that might need to be looked at.

4. CV values during Mud turns now drop to 1 across the board - no more attacks during the mud phase, but without resorting to 'freezing' the front as some games do. I like this also.

5. From the onset of the mud in T19, I have been experiencing 1-2 partisan attacks each turn. All of my cities are Garrisoned. About 50% of these attacks hit 5-6 hexes of railroad at a time and the other 50% only affect 1 hex. I would go for the 1 hex impact and would accept the number of attacks and their frequency so far.

6. Soviet strength might now be too low - there's no way the AI could launch any serious counter attacks up to T19, but at the same time the vast carpet of AI units is gone. We are almost there, IMO, and the Soviets just need their summer 41 strength to be upped a tad.

I will report back on the winter/blizzard experience.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 5/1/2011 3:42:46 PM >

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Post #: 1
RE: 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI - 5/1/2011 8:05:27 PM   
Redmarkus5

Well, I may have spoken too soon regarding the AI carpet. Turn 23 recon reveals a large carpet of low CV Soviet units assembling SE of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI - 5/1/2011 8:06:01 PM   
Redmarkus5

And a zoomed in view.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI - 5/1/2011 8:23:37 PM   
JocMeister

Are you seeing the massive instamovements of several soviets fronts to block your panzers? I had it in 1.03 and I kind of ruined the game...

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI - 5/1/2011 9:46:49 PM   
Redmarkus5

No, I didn't see that at all. I was able to conduct effective operations, including pincer movements and breakthroughs with the AI only putting up a line rather than a block in front of me. The current carpet has appeared only after 4 turns without movement.
It may just be that the Ai lacked the resources up till now.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI - 5/1/2011 10:33:28 PM   
Redmarkus5

It's also true that the current carpet happens to face the bulk of my armour...

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> 1.04 Test vs. Soviet AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI